cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

How do I find out if I can get Fibre, how much will it cost and why is there a block on me upgrading

19 REPLIES
Highlighted
Antcol1
Chatterbox

I am trying to find out 2 things. Can I get Fibre Broadband and why can I not upgrade for three months.

To be clear at this stage, I don't know if I want fibre because I cant find out how much it will cost or even if it is available at my address. When ever I look online via my account, I get the following message - “We're sorry but you can't place an order Online right now. Please call 0800 049 142 or chat with one of our experts” I have already had a number of online chats and I have phoned the number, but it gets me nowhere. One person says fibre is available another says it is not. However, a BT Openreach checker says it is available.

Secondly, I have been told there is a block on me for three months because I haven’t made any payments in the last three months. That's because I am in credit and TalkTalk has been taking my payments from the money they hold. (I have now requested they send me what they owe me). Where do I go from here? I don't really want to cancel my contract but I will certainly be changing to another provider when the contract is up if I can't resolve this. Any ideas?

RichardSavage
Insightful One

Have you looked here Antcol1 .........

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/availabilitycheck

..... it shoud answer at least one of your questions!

~R.

............ IT'S THE ONLY THING TO LOOK FORWARD TO, THE PAST!
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Antcol1

Welcome to Community.

You may have done this but just check your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your landline phone number. Add, if needed then scroll down and save changes. The Community support OCE's (TalkTalk team) will then be able to link this topic to your TalkTalk service account and see if there's any issues concerning the supposed 'block'. I've alerted the OCE's for you.

I find it difficult to believe there's any block on a customer that's in credit and I certainly didn't have a block when I was in credit.

As for the costs of fibre and inclusive landline rental, right now there's a fibre sale with the up to 38Mbps fibre package at £25 and the up to 76Mbps fibre at an additional £5 on 24 month fixed price contracts.

All details are right under the top of the page link TV, Broadband & Calls (Click here).

Check Fibre availablityCheck Fibre availablity

When you get there, click on Fibre Broadband and then Check Fibre availability. Put in your post code and select your address.  If fibre is currently available it'll let you know. Bear in mind that Openreach have to have equipped your street cabinet with fibre connectivity, there must be space for new connections and the necessary links and space need to have been provisioned for the TalkTalk network connection in the exchange. 

Gondola - I'm a PlusTV customer *
Antcol1
Chatterbox

Thanks. At least I didn't get blocked by the message when I followed that link. It says I only have one option which is normal broadband. I wonder why BT say I can get fibre!

Antcol1
Chatterbox

Hi Gondola. Thanks for the response. Its strange but I still cant check fibre availability from within my account. However, when I checked without logging in I can do a search. It seems only normal broadband is available, which doesnt match with the result I got from BT. Maybe as you say, there are no links available for TalkTalk, just BT. 

Regarding the reason they gave for blocking upgrades - the advisor told me I needed to pay into the account for three months before any upgrades can be made. I told her that as I was in credit, payments were being taken from the surplus. She then repeated what she had already said, so I left it at that. 

(NB, I have just added my phone number to my profile)

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Antcol1

The fibre type needs to be FTTC - fibre to the cabinet, as currently TalkTalk do not resell the full fibre product FTTP - fibre to the premises. Then Openreach need to have made available in the cabinet the capacity for new connections and in the exchange the space for TalkTalk equipment and cablelinks to get the fibre connection across to TalkTalk's fibre backhaul links out of the exchange to TalkTalk's network.

Thanks for confirming the update of your profile as that'll mean the OCE's can look at your account to see if there are any issues. The OCE will respond here.

Sidious
Super Duper Contributor

Firstly, apologies for hijacking the thread!

"I find it difficult to believe there's any block on a customer that's in credit and I certainly didn't have a block when I was in credit." Certainly there shouldn't be, but on my "My Account" it comes up as "-£XX.YY" i.e. a minus sign followed by the amount in credit. It could easily be misconstrued as being in DEBT. That's possibly the issue there. The irony is that one department of TalkTalk doesn't always know what the other departments are doing, even though the company name is, of course, TalkTalk!

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Sidious

Oh dear me!  I never thought I'd be writing about basic accounting fundamentals!

If a Bill shows Amount due -£25.50 that's an account that's in credit by £25.50!

The 'computer' will know that this isn't a debt and won't have blocked the customer from ordering because of that (even if a non-billing agent makes a casual mistake looking at the billing).  But billing agents are there dealing with bill formats every day so they'll know that this isn't an issue or reason to block a customer from placing an order. 

If there is an issue with the account then the OCE will investigate.

Sidious
Super Duper Contributor

@Gondola Obviously you and I both know that! Face with tears of joy

But I was wondering/asking if the call-centre person that Antcol1 talked to on the phone understood that. Not meaning to sound snobbish or uppity but from what I've read on these forums over the time I've frequented them, many call-centre staff don't seem to be able to interpret what we would consider simple. Proverbially, they don't seem to know which way is up!

Sidious
Super Duper Contributor

On my account, as you rightly imply, it makes it clear that I'm currently in credit on the cyan/light blue "block" which is sitting on top of the usual console/menu

i.e.

Image.jpeg

But my conjecture/wonder/thought/<whatever you want to call it> is maybe they only see this (either literally, or fixated on this to the point so much they're oblivious to the rest)

Image.jpegBut it's pure conjecture on my part... just like I conjectured which horse would win at the Grand National and it lost! Tongue out face

Antcol1
Chatterbox

It's only conjecture on my part, but I suspect the call centre person works off a crib sheet which told her that three monthly payments have to be made but didn't give guidance on the situation where payments are taken out of credit. (I could obviously be totally wrong on that) I also suspect there is some sort of computer programme which blocks upgrades if these payments haven't been made. The first person I contacted via the "Chat" button seemed to understand and told me it was a problem that could be dealt with and she gave me a telephone number to ring and sort it out. The person I spoke to on the phone was the one who coudn't seem to understand the problem. Ah well. The daft thing is, Im not even sure I want to upgrade but I would like to be able to if at some time in the future a particularly good offer came up. 

eebdsirhc
Community Star

A 2 cents.

I think the 3 month rule is that when they do a credit check they are looking for 3 monthly payments as recorded by the credit checking agency (not just someone looking at your account). They will check your credit worthiness, not just the 3 monthly payments.

If you have been paying your monthly bills out of your TalkTalk credit, then the credit checking agency would have no record of this. So no 3 months history available to check.

Just another thought.

Antcol1
Chatterbox

As I have been with TalkTalk since they started, I can't see why they would use an outside agency. My credit worthiness has always been perfect anyway. I have asked TalkTalk to send me a refund of what they owe me, so at least in 3 months I shouldnt have this problem, although I am now seriously considering leaving TalkTalk.

eebdsirhc
Community Star

It is generally much easier for companies to run checks via external agencies than maintain their own systems (and then have to pay internal people to think).

Wink

Sidious
Super Duper Contributor

Now that's an interesting angle from eebdsirhc, I didn't think of that!

Seeing that TalkTalk know the user is in credit should (and I emphasise that word "should") override any "credit check"-type issue. But of course, nothing is really ever as it should be so there's a good chance that eebdsirhc has hit the proverbial nail on the head.

BTW LMAO at "and then have to pay internal people to think.Face with tears of joy

Community Team

Hi Antcol1

Thanks for your post, This is a situation that has sprung up recently, it been reported to the billing teams that the credit flag is wrong for customers such as yourself who through no fault of there own have not had 3 consecutive direct debits on the account. 

I will contact our billing teams to see what we can do.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused

Antcol1
Chatterbox
Community Team
Antcol1
Chatterbox

I tried online but there was still no success, however when I phoned, the person I spoke to was aware of the problem and I have now upgraded the TV package but decided not to upgrade to Fibre. 

I have just gone online again to see if it would give me the cost of fibre & there was no problem this time.

Thanks

Community Team