Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Huawei DG8041W TCP Port Forwarding

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi, Ive seen a couple of other threads regarding the inability to forward TCP ports 80 and 443. This problem affects other applications in the "IPv4 Port Mapping" dropdown list and other ports such as port 8081. I'm using port translation at the moment to bypass some of it, but this results in the IP address and port being displayed in a web browser, and if this is bookmarked the link will fail when the (dynamic) IP changes. Unfortunately my QNAP server doesn't appear to support domain name masking, or I'd be happy with that.

So, while going through the settings on the "WAN Configuration" page, I noticed that at the bottom of the page the "NAT Type" is set to "Port-restricted cone NAT" for the 2 items listed on my DG8041W ( 1_TR069_INTERNET_R_ADSL_0/38, 2_IPTV_R_ADSL_0/65 ) I've hesitated jumping in blind and changing this to "Full cone NAT" to see if this overcomes the problem and thought I'd ask here first. So does anyone know if this could be a solution or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Although most people would never need to look at a manual, the lack of it is a bit irksome when trying to set things up such as home servers. Is there any chance of making a manual available as a downloadable PDF ?

If the developers provide updated firmware to overcome the port forwarding problems, could I please be notified ?

ON THE PLUS SIDE, the hub does support "NAT Loopback", so anyone designing a web page on a PC can see the page by typing in the domain name in their web browser and see their site as it appears to the outside world.

Piethorne
Highlighted
Community Star

I'll test it & get back to you. I have written a manual, but am waiting on the products team to come back to me on some issues around DDNS, before I am prepared to make it available.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Star

Full cone NAT makes no difference at all. The problem here is that the router itself has the following ports open to the internet: TCP 22, 23, 80 & 443 plus UDP 53, when I can see no valid reason for it (80 & 443 are the same on other Huawei routers such as the HG633). I have raised this with the developers. The only current workaround is to port translate on the external port to something like 9080 & 9443 etc.

I was able to forward TCP 8080 no problem.

I was surprised about the NAT Loopback, you are correct that it is not blocked, unlike the rest of the recent TT routers.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks for the replies @KeithFrench. Guess I'll have to wait and see if a firmware update becomes available. Just hope the NAT Loopback doesn't get messed up in the process as it's a handy feature.

Piethorne