Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Huawei (TalkTalk) HG635 router setup as just a wireless access point

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
First Timer

I have an internet connection to our house using a 3rd party router.

I have a TalkTalk HG635 that I’d like to only use as a wireless access point elsewhere in the house (a part that doesn’t get great coverage by the current router). Not a modem and not a router, just have it acting as a switch and wifi point.

I can connect my router to the HG635 via ethernet.

I’ve set the local IP on the HG635 as 192.168.1.2 and turned off DHCP. I’ve changed the DHCP range on my current router to start at 192.168.1.3

If I connect the 2 devices via ethernet LAN to LAN I can’t access the internet from the HG635. I then tried putting the HG635 in bridged mode but that doesn’t help.

I got a couple of errors when changing it to bridged mode in case that helps.

1. "PPPoA can support only one PPP connection."
  2. "Bridge mode WANs cannot associate with TR069."

To get past those I turned off TRO69 and changed the Link Mode to EoA as it’s the only one that doesn’t throw an error. But it still doesn't work.

So can any tell me if I'm doing anything wrong?

What else can I try?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

You don't need to use the HG635 in bridgemode, just change the IP range of the HG635 to 192.168.10.x

I use 2 routers, the main one at the socket with a DHCP range of 192.168.1.x  and the second router connected via ethernet using the range 192.168.10x

All works fine.  I use the wifi of the first router for downstairs devices and use the upstairs router for all my upstairs devices 🙂

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
First Timer

Thanks for your reply, the problem with that is we have a NAS drive that family members backup to. If someone was on the 192.168.10.X network they wouldn't be able to access the NAS drive.

Highlighted

Hi

You could set up a port forward from one router to the other if you set a fixed IP at the NAS (Reserved IP).

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
First Timer

It's not solving the problem, it's just creating 2 networks. There are times we'd like to share files between computers, print remotely and access other network devices.

I'd like to just use the router to create a wifi spot on the same network.

Not create 2 separate networks in the house.

Highlighted

Hi

Unfortunately this is the limitation of the HG635.  None of our other routers support bridgemode so you may have to look at another solution.  I also use a TPlink nano router as an access point and that works for me, but I don't use NAS. 

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
First Timer

Ah ok, no problem. I was wondering that.

Thanks for taking the time in trying to find a solution for me. 👍

Highlighted
Team Player

@36-chambers have you read KeithFrench's guides on this - I posted elsewhere saying I have a Fast 5364 router connected to the Internet & a TT HG633 in bridge mode (I also have another other ISP router in bridge mode) they all provide Wifi, they are connected either via ethernet cable or ethernet over mains adaptors - unfortunately I don't have an HG635 so can't test that config.