cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Hub f/w update and VERY slow 2Mb speeds on Faster Fibre?

33 REPLIES 33
Sparxeh
Team Player

Hi folks,

So just gone live this evening and the hub has sync'd @ 40/14Mb when on previous ISPs I have achieved 62/16Mb which has been persistent for years. When I first got FTTC 4-5 years ago, I was on 80/20 but that's another story for cross-talk apparently... 😞

I can't tell if my SNR is high and causing this, as there seems to be a bug with the default firmware (1400T) not reporting the dB... Also friendly DHCP names don't appear to stay 'saved' either. But DLM may settle my line at a higher rate maybe over the next few days ideally.

Also noticed pings are at 22ms when typically been 10-12ms but unsure on Fastpath settings or again, if DLM may settle this soon too.

I've read threads already stating there are newer firmware releases out since this one. Could someone push the latest firmware to my hub please to fix these bugs and other tweaks needed? I have tried restarting it and it hasn't pulled any new firmware through, still sat on 1400T.

Also double-check nothing wrong with the line being activated today speed/ping-wise and it should improve I hope?!

Help please @OCE_Debbie @OCE_Karl @OCE_Michelle 

Thanks 🙂

TalkTalk day 1 (07.11.19).png

ferguson
Community Star

Try a pinhole reset on your Hub and wait until tomorrow to see if the firmware update has been pushed out, the latest version is x2600t. 

Which Fibre package have you signed up to?

Sparxeh
Team Player

I'm on the Faster Fibre package (80/20 profile) - I'll try pinhole reset it in a moment.

Also, I appear to have a download speed issue as well with my line/router! 😞 Sigh.

Just tried a speed test and both on my desktop PC (wired ethernet straight to hub) and on my iPhone 11 Pro via 5G Wifi I'm only getting 3Mb max download... But upload is ~13Mb.

Tried a HTTP download for Ubuntu ISO and only 300 KB/s? Tried another and 250 KB/s... Also tried a torrent and only getting 330 KB/s... Definitely something going wrong already, not a good start 🤔

See below results - you can see the 1st test is my PC wired and 2nd is my phone on wifi.

IP11Pro speed.png

Sparxeh
Team Player

Just wasted over half an hour tried live chat to TT, kept saying I wasn't replying when I've got a transcript of my reply and he cut me off...

Just rang after 10 mins got through, to be told the lady says my internet connection is showing as OFFLINE to them (surely that's part of the potential problem?) and asked me to wait until tomorrow, as I'm in 'activation stage' ...

I also tried pin-factory resetting the router and this hasn't helped either. Lady on the phone also claims my internet was still showing 'OFFLINE' to them after this as well.

Internet is horrid I can't use it, I had to wait 3 minutes for Facebook homepage to load, I can't stream a YouTube video or do nothing! Web pages are so unresponsive, everything is going @ 200 KB/s... Ridiculous.

I even thought, why not 4G my iPhone as I can get 65Mb download using EE 4G round my house! But then realised I need to do a 265Mb iTunes download before you can tether, with an ETA of 2-3 hours it says if I'm lucky.

So infuriating! 😫

Sparxeh
Team Player

Morning,

So the hub updated firmware itself overnight to 2600T.

Pings are now much worse and download speeds are even worse as well. Literally like being on dial-up again! Completly un-useable, I had to tether last night my phone to use the internet.

This morning's speed test, wired ethernet using my desktop PC. Tried my iPhone via WiFi and same results as well.

Something seriously wrong!

Edit: see below router stats today and speed test. Also added my Plusnet speed test from which I just come from and was flawless...

Edit #2: So I spent this morning on live chat, I can't believe how technically inept the person was I dealt with. He confirmed my speed tests were horrid, I did Talktalk's own one as well. He then said, I kid you not, he "updated my wireless channels and to monitor for 48 hours and I will not have that issue again" - is he for real? My wired ethernet speeds are 0.4Mb and my wifi channels being changed he thinks has fixed it?

When I called him out on it, he then proceeded to tell me he also changed my "wired channels" - where do you hire these people? That surely isn't even in the script. After asking him to escalate the matter, he cut me off! Looks fantastic in transcript. So far, moving to Talktalk has been a nightmare. I'd never recommend TT on my experience so far to anyone.

FE82BF85-418D-45BF-989E-A578567EC12F.png

3A7DB0AD-8A52-45E6-8573-FFE9762FC985.png

68550313-0F94-4693-8251-87AEEAF0D6BC.png

Community Team

Hi Sparxeh

Apologies for the delay.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see a high number of re connections on the line.

Has the router been rebooted or is the connection dropping?

Thanks

Debbie

Sparxeh
Team Player

Hi Debbie

It was restarted twice last night for 1. A reboot to try fix it to start with then 2. Factory reset as suggested by Ferguson. The one around 1am this morning, I presume was the hub/firmware updating itself. Then later this morning the live chat agent remotely rebooted it again.

That aside the sync and downstream speeds hasn’t changed. Sync still shows 41/13mb approx and on speed tests and http downloads I’m only achieving ~0.4Mb and the same on Talktalk’s speed test. Upstream speed is fine though bizarrely.

The sync so far is quite low compared to when I was with Plusnet prior and Sky before, I was getting a 60/16Mb+ sync for years, but I'll deal with one thing at a time. I want my downstream and ping sorting first to be solid, before seeing if DLM will bump my line back up to where it was.

Otherwise the DSL uptime has always been spot on. I’m in a 5 year old new build, we had new thick copper laid when we first moved in and the uptime has always been weeks+ only ever going down rarely for exchange/cabinet maintenance early hours of the morning once in a blue moon, or a power cut maybe.

Thanks

EDIT: Had an idea. I'm going to plug in the BT hub when I get home on my lunch break, pop in TT DSL details and see if this acts any differently to the TT hub, wondering whether it's a router fault or not.

Community Team

Hi Sparxeh

Thanks for your reply.

I can send a replacement router for testing. Please let me know if you would like me to arrange this?

Debbie

Sparxeh
Team Player

Hi Debbie

I've tried my old BT and Plusnet hubs, I can't use neither as they won't accept the @talktalk.net in the username auth details section in the router.

Plugging back in my TalkTalk hub, my stats have absolutely plummeted to the below - including upstream this time. My attenuation has shot up from 20 to 57.9 dB and Power levels dropped from 13.6 to 9.5 dBm.

There has to be something wrong? I've literally swapped hours later yesterday from a perfectly working 60/16Mb connection to <3Mb?

That aside in the meantime, if you could send the replacement router I will give that a go as well please.

Thanks

TT day 2 8.11.19.png

Community Team

Hi Sparxeh

Apologies for this.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Sparxeh
Team Player

Thanks Debbie, I presume it will not come for the weekend? 😞

I can't stand having this connection over the weekend. I'm literally using it to test and switching straight over to my phone's 4G hotspot, which is draining my data and pings aren't that good for gaming with either.

It's so unresponsive on the TT connection you can't stream a video and I'm waiting several minutes to load basic websites like Google searches, Facebook feeds and news websites etc (hence not even using it). It's even more annoying for instance, as the new CoD game just released a patch today nearly 8gb!! How am I supposed to get that? So infuriating...

Is there anything else that can be checked or done in the meantime? I'm wondering whether it's a profile issue, is it possible to try a DLM reset potentially?

Cheers

Community Team

Hi Sparxeh

It may arrive tomorrow, if not it will be Monday.

The line tests have not detected any faults so we would need to test a different router first. We are unable to make any changes to the profile or reset DLM as this is managed by BT Openreachs DLM.

Thanks

Debbie

Sparxeh
Team Player

Hi Debbie

The new router arrived this morning, thanks for the prompt dispatch.

Unfortunately before unplugging the old one, my stats/speeds were still rock bottom as my prior post. I was hoping DLM might have kicked in and bumped the speeds up if that was the root cause, but apparently not.

Plugging in the new one has made zero difference, turned on and the stats are still as before... See below speed test and router stats.

For testing I have also ordered a TP-Link VR900 router/modem which is coming today, so I'll be trying that as well but I'm not getting my hopes up now after already trying another replacement TT Hub.

Where do we go from here? It doesn't appear to be anything local, definitely more network related and external from my home. I need it fixing ASAP I already used 20gb of my 4G data last night from having to hotspot.

I'm also wondering due to the attenuation shot up from 10 to 55 dB, whether it is an external factor caused by workman causing damage maybe to ducting within my area. I noticed workman out all this week about 50m from my house doing work on a broken powerline underground all week. I wonder if they caused any damage to the copper?

Thanks

EDIT: I've just tried changing the phone cable and the stats have bumped up slightly, so it's more useable hopefully. But still incredibly slow and much lower than it should be.

TT day 3 9.11.19.png

After changing phone cable...

TT day 3 changed phone cable 9.11.19.png

Sparxeh
Team Player

Well my post this morning has been flagged for 'spam' again so you can't see it yet, until it gets unhidden (again)...

Short story is - new router come, still the same low speeds. Changing phone cable got a slight bump. Although in reality on HTTP downloads, game updates, YouTube videos it's still impossible and the best I can get is between 50 KB/s and 300-400 KB/s if I'm lucky.

So still a **** poor connection and completely useless. Where do we go from here please? I need a resolution ASAP or I'll be moving ISP again very shortly. The frustrating thing is, if I have to do that, it's another 2 weeks I'll have to wait and put up with this dial-up connection!

Funnily enough, also got an email from TT today with my first bill. I don't think I should be paying a penny for it yet, I can't even use it! Still burning my 4G data...

EDIT: I've just received the TP Link VR900 hub from Amazon, setup and again seen a slight improvement now sync'd @ 10/4Mb (screenshot below)... But attenuation for some reason is still 44 dB when it was 10 dB. Tried some standard downloads (iTunes, Linux ISO) and I'm only pulling 0.9Mb still.

TT day 3 with tplink hub 9.11.19.png

Sparxeh
Team Player

Morning,

So day 4 and the DSL was up for ~18 hours with the TP Link perfectly fine, no speed bump from DLM so I'm quite confident it's within Talktalk's network or external/physical causing the fault.

I plugged back in the TT hub just now, as I'm sending the TP Link back as it didn't "fix" the issue. Shocking how bad the TT hub performs and syncs, compared to the TP Link, I presume it has a better Broadcom chipset or something within.

Here I am now back on the TT hub... Still dire, low speeds, high pings and real world downloads are much slower still (i.e. not a 'speed test' which seem to have a priority)

EDIT: Decided to bear the brunt and go on live chat. Fortunately she booked an Openreach engineer fairly quickly for me, explaining they'll look into it from the exchange/cabinet etc within 72 hours and I should receive a text with the outcome.

TT day 4 with tt hub 10.11.19.png

Sparxeh
Team Player

Props to Openreach! 1.5 hours after being booked, young lad just turned up out of the blue at my house.

He confirmed his own speed tests before coming were only achieving 5Mb down and up. He reset DLM on his device and cut and re-crimped my master socket and I'm now @ 46/14Mb down/up.

Still missing about 10-15Mb but wondering whether that'll improve over the next few days. The engineer was doubtful and believes it's just the pair I'm on to TalkTalk at the cab causing the speed decrease...

Can anything else be done to get me back where I was @ 60Mb+ ? Reading the 30 day great speed connection guarantee, I presume I can move to another ISP if I'm still not happy?

Thanks

Sparxeh
Team Player

Ok, back again and the TT hub is an absolute pile of crap...

So was just browsing and all of the sudden, me the wife and my bro in law all cry "the internet is down again"... I login the router, DSL still says online, sync is still up, but NOTHING will connect. Not my wired desktop pc on ethernet, or any of the wifi devices. Just straight up disconnected/404 messages when you try load anything. Gave it 5 minutes and it didn't sort itself out, despite saying online both router/dsl...

Had to reboot the hub, low and behold, it starts working again... I'm not putting up with an inferior connection, poor network giving me slower speeds and a duff router!

I'm on the brink of just cancelling TT within the 30 days and moving back to Plusnet.

TT day 4 crash 10.11.19.png

Sparxeh
Team Player

I just have to keep going on and on, the router / TT network is just incredibly non existent for me.

30 minutes later the router crashed again. Same symptoms as described above. DSL and internet says it’s online, but no device wired or wireless can connect to anything.

Restarted hub and now it won’t even come back online!! Checked the logs and it’s saying the DHCP WAN process has failed... along with some DNS failures. So I’ve factory reset the hub and still it won’t connect. I’m having to use 4G yet again.

So currently the router is dead as a do-do. I’ve got no internet at all now and it’s refusing to come back online. Despite showing it has a sync in the router.

I’ve had enough. I want to cancel, move ISP and don’t feel I should be paying a penny to TalkTalk for this abysmal service.

Morning Edit: so 30 mins later it’d come back online again...

A669CE67-FF37-4363-8263-33F8A7EDB7A2.png

C8276BD4-F511-444D-A912-FFE7CE5D308D.png

8D398AA3-15C3-4C97-B5AA-FBFAB1BFA653.png

A8DAC041-937A-483A-BEBB-CF913B5A047E.png

Community Team

Hi Sparxeh

I'm really sorry to hear this.

To discuss cancelling your service, please can you contact our Loyalty Team.

Thanks

Debbie

Sparxeh
Team Player

Thanks Debbie

Unfortunately I've done just that! Thanks for the help though.

I have now signed up to Sky's Superfast Fibre instead... 2 week wait though 😞

I just couldn't stand the network/router/speed issues on a daily occurrence, it drove me mad in the 4-5 days it's been like this.