cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

I have had no service since 19th June... Why is TalkTalk not doing anything about it?

80 REPLIES
Highlighted
sshum
Conversation Starter

Hello,

Please, please, please can someone help me understand why it is taking TalkTalk a ridiculously long time to fix my internet connection. I'm coming to the end of my tether!

I came home to no internet on the 19th of June (and no phone line/dial tone).

Contacted TalkTalk, standard 'Plug in master test socket', etc etc. In the end they had to get an engineer to come out. The engineer fixed the phone line fault, but the internet still wasn't working. Talktalk keeps telling us it has been fixed, over several days many text messages said it was fixed. But still, there is a red LED above 'internet' on the router and the messages comes up 'intermittent sync' when trying to go online. I asked 5 times, over the space of a week, for an update and not getting any response.

I then requested it to be escalated. I'm now with the 'CEO' office. They told me they could see my router was online. The woman from the CEO office said 'I can see two iPads connected and 'Mary's iPhone' connected to the router. It is online'. I told her we do not own iPads, and no one here is called Mary. I wasn't at home for this call so I called back later. I spoke to a man when I got home. He attempted to get me to follow the script. I asked him if he could connect to me router, he said yes. I asked what devices were connected, he said Apple devices. I said if I unplug the cables and power down the router would he be able to connect, he said 'No'.  So I unplugged the cables (Photo attached). I asked if he could still see my router. He said 'it was still online'. It was only then he realised there was an issue. I then saw the serial number, I told him the last 3 digits, which he confirmed were different to the router he was conneted to. He thanked me and said he would have not been able to find the problem without what I did. He said there must be some cross over somewhere. He logged what had happened. 

I've had several phone calls over a few days from the 'Case manager' who has only told me that the technical team are 'looking into it'.

It is nearly a month now, I do not believe TalkTalk are doing anything to fix this issue. 

If anyone can please help I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thank you

Community Team

Hi sshum

Our CEO colleagues are correct in that the system shows a device connected with an assigned IP address and also shows devices connected to the router such as Ipads / Iphones etc. So technically they are correct,  However....as I've been dealing with faults for what feels like forever, I'm aware that certain things can happen and you should not always believe everything that you read.  Conditions such as a crossed port can cause such an issue.

To help me get to the bottom of this, can you tell me the model of router you currently have connected.  Also, on the back of the router there is a wifi network name (SSID)  can you PM this to me so I can verify against the one showing on the currently connected device.

One last question, is your property a single place of residence, ie a house or a flat, not a shared room in a hose etc, as sometimes a line can be connected incorrectly if more than one house sharer requests a line etc.

Thanks

Karl. 

sshum
Conversation Starter

Sent you the information Karl. 

It is a flat.

Thank you

Sidious
Super Duper Contributor

Apologies for poking my nose in, but just my tuppence worth:-

Have you checked/are you certain that the landline you're now connected to since the repair is actually "yours"? i.e. if you were to dial your landline number from a mobile (or from another landline e.g. friends, family, etc), is it your landline phone that rings?

If you dial 17070, it should read out "this circuit is defined as <your area code & number>". It's possible (not 100% definite though!) you'll find the circuit has the wrong landline number.

sshum
Conversation Starter
Thank you, I was going to try that however...

The red LED next to internet wasn't on, and now the broadband LED is off. I picked up the phone and there was no dial tone. Looks like I've been disconnected again...
Community Team

Hi Sshum

I've relayed this to our network teams, that I suspect a crossed line / data port issue.

The device that is showing as active on your line, when I search through our Device database with the serial, it shows as linked to another account with standard broadband.

I've passed the details of your account & the other account to networks so they can look at my findings.

Thanks

Karl. 

sshum
Conversation Starter
Thanks Karl,

Any idea on how long this might take? I've had no service for almost a month now.

Thanks
Community Team

Hi sshum,

I'm sorry this is taking so long to resolve. An update is due tomorrow so can you bump the thread then and we'll check

Chris

sshum
Conversation Starter
Community Team

Hi

A BT engineer was working on this yesterday, and our network teams are going to check with BT for a progress report today.

Thanks

Karl. 

sshum
Conversation Starter
The phone line has been reconnected again, the broadband LED is now green but the internet LED is red.
Community Team

Hi

I'm glad to hear the line has been reconnected.  I'm still showing the device we can see connecting from your line is the wrong one, so it's not fully resolved yet and will need further work.

Just as a thought, dial 17070 from your home phone and make sure it reads the correct number back to you.

Thanks

Karl. 

sshum
Conversation Starter
Yes, calling 17070 reads the correct number. I also called my mobile and the correct landline number shows up.

When calling on the landline, it is a little fuzzy, sounds like some interference on the line.
Community Team

Hi

OK, that makes sure there isn't a true crossed line, only the data side that is crossed.

I've gone back to our network teams confirming this.

Thanks

Karl. 

sshum
Conversation Starter

So an Openreach engineer has just left, after doing all the tests and checking the cabinet I'm connected to. He said there is no fault from this end. All the tests say the connections are connected. However I still have no internet. 

He think's there is a problem at the exchange.

Nearly 6 weeks without internet now... 

sshum
Conversation Starter

He phoned asking if I had internet, I didn't.

But 5 mins later, something strange has happened, I just looked at my router and all green lights! Maybe he found the fault in the cabinet. 

I am now sending this post from my TalkTalk connection

Community Team

Hi 

Is the engineer going to the exchange to look at this ?

Personally, I think a lift and shift may be required, to swap over to another port.

Thanks

Karl. 

Community Team

Hi

I've just seen your last reply,  Checking our system is now showing a different device on the line than before, checking the connected device no longer shows apple devices but an android device.

Karl.

sshum
Conversation Starter
Yes, that would be my Android phone.

The speeds are really slow. Will this pick up over time? I used to get almost 40mb download, but currently only getting 2mb down.
Community Team

Hi

OK. I can see the correct device connecting, so that part looks ok, but now I can see the device, I can see it is connecting as ADSL instead of Fibre.  The auth logs that have now appeared on our system show the connection is hitting our MSAN rather then the fibre equipment.  Under normal circumstances this problem is caused by a miss jumpered circuit at the local street cabinet.

With the issues you have been experiencing, I'm not even going to guess, but I need to glag this up to our networks asap.

The Openreach engineer may still be working on this, but if they contact you directly, let them know we can see the circuit connecting as adsl instead of fibre and suspect a miss jumper at the cabinet.

Karl.