Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

IPV6 CONNECTION

25 REPLIES 25
Steve2409
Popular Poster

Just bought XBOX One X and changed my Talk Talk package to get the fastest Fibre speed, Connection was dropping. Xbox network setting say I should be on IPV6 rathan IPV4 but dont know if it is yet supported by Talk Talk. Please advise as I have an XBOX One X that keeps dropping connection and I shall be forced to look at another ISP.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Steve

I've drawn this topic to the attention of the TalkTalk Community support team of OCE's and they'll respond to you right here to help you.  If you have an HG633 router it'll benefit from a firmware update that the OCE's can push out to you.

You may have already done this bit but ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your landline phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and save changes. The Community support OCE's will then be able to link this topic to your TalkTalk service account.

Leave your router powered and connected to the line until you hear from the OCE's.  They'll check the line performance and the router and will have options to discuss with you including escalation to Openreach if a fault is present or just a firmware update that'll fix the connection dropping issue when you use the XBox.

The TalkTalk network is IPV6 ready but not everything is in place to use IPV6 yet. An IPV4 network will give you just as good an experience despite Microsoft's continued promotion. But first things first, let's get the XBox issue fixed with the router update.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

charlesb224
Wise Owl

@Gondola wrote:

The TalkTalk network is IPV6 ready but not everything is in place to use IPV6 yet. 

Hey @Gondola,

When you say it's IPV6 ready... what do you mean?  There have been multiple threads (including one I started at the beginning of the year) asking TT what the status is...with no response.

What insight do you have....is there a timeline for implementation?  Will there be a trial?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @charlesb224

The definitive answer was given by CharlesB. Further information was promised in due course.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

charlesb224
Wise Owl

Thanks..  Back in April...and no further news.  Glacial speed!

Steve2409
Popular Poster
Thank you, I have done that. Hope to get a firmware update soon.
Community Team

Hi Steve2409,

You're router has the latest firmware version. 

How does you xbox connect to your router, Ethernet cable or Wifi?

Does your internet connection seem stable except for the xbox issue?

Chris

Steve2409
Popular Poster

Hi Chris, noticed wifi connection is really bad lately. Xbox is WiFi, desktop is ethernet cable. 

Community Team

Hi Steve2409,

Have you recently tried a few different wireless channels to see how the connection compares? Does the wired connection seem stable?

Thanks

Steve2409
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle, Have not changed channels because I dont know how to on talk talk I knew how to on Virgin but it seems to be a bit more complicated on Talk Talk.

Wired connection is fine.

Steve

Community Team

Hi Steve

In regards to changing the wireless channels, please see the below help page for further information.

How do I change my wireless channel

Thanks

Debbie

Steve2409
Popular Poster

Thanks Debbie, I will have a look when I get home from work.

Steve

Community Team

Hi Steve

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

Steve2409
Popular Poster

ok after a couple of days of testing, ran speed test on my desktop and getting 74mbs/18mbs but xbox 1 x the wifi keeps dropping. I have a Now tv box as well and it is dropping also. pc is ethernet connection but every thing else is wifi??

Steve

Community Team

Hi Steve2409,

I'm sorry to hear this. Just to confirm, did you try a few different wireless channels to see how the connection compares? Do you have an alternative router that you could test with to see how it compares?

Thanks

Steve2409
Popular Poster
Right was OK for a while and now its happening again almost every 5 mins. I now have to use my PC because everything else is WIFI. Tried changing channels multiple times and rebooted router, WI-FI keeps on dropping. Phoned Talk-Talk several times and the last time somebody updated the firmware in my router(even though somebody on here said I had the latest Firmware). I am at a loss and unless it is sorted I am probably going to have to go to another provider.
harvi
Wizz Kid

I know exactly how you feel. HG633 awful Wi-Fi. I suffered all your issues re Xbox too, and losing 5ghz. The router update to v1.22.1t was meant to solve it- but didn’t. I tried all the fixes recommended on here re changing channels, etc on router, still same issues.

I just turned Wi-Fi off on the TalkTalk router and use an old Apple AirPort Extreme for Wi-Fi routing. Solid and fast connection-  10mbps faster. 

You’ll just go in circles on this forum, as they'll never admit how poor the supplied equipment is. I’d recommend cutting your losses and getting a different router.

PS I noticed there’s still no clarity re IPV 6.

Steve2409
Popular Poster

Had just about enough now, why am I paying £35 pounds a month for such shoddy service. Just been on the phone to talk talk for 14mins and got cut off, fed up now I will change my provider. VERY DISAPPOINTED TALK TALK. 

Community Team

Hi Steve2409

line is in sync at 80mb with no errors showing.  Are the drops mostly affecting Wifi ?

Would you like to try a different model router ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Steve2409
Popular Poster

Thanks Karl,I have mentioned time and time again that the WiFi keeps dropping. I have a Desktop using an ethernet cable into the router and the speed on that is fine. I have an Xbox, Now tv box, and phone on wifi and when the Wifi goes they all go. It only goes off for a few minutes but I have to mess around with resetting router or changing the channel on my network. 

If you think that a different router will solve it then yes I would like a different router.