Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Improving my connection for gaming

76 REPLIES 76
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have the 67 mbps fast fibre broadband package. The main reason I chose this package was so that I would be able to play first person shooters on my Ps4 and enjoy a smooth and enjoyable experience. I have found my gaming experience using this broadband connection to be laggy/choppy amd anything but smooth. I have 4g internet on my smartphone which i occasionally tether to my ps4 to play my online shooter because it runs much better. I would like some help adjusting the connection/profile of my broadband to allow me to play first person shooters with a great connection.

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I feel I should add that i have used both wireless and wired connection to use the broadband internet. Though the wired connection states a lower ping (6-8ms), both connections make the gaming experience feel laggy and behind the action in the game. I have also tried forwarding the ports on the router page, I opened the ps4 ports, the EA server ports and the ports for the game. I tried opening these ports with upnp on and off. Unfortunately my efforts did not help my connection.

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Can I get some assistance please. Im paying for premium internet and am unable to use it for what I want it for.

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Philosopher

If your ping is below 10ms then there is absolutely nothing wrong with your connection !

Martin
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Having low ping does not automatically mean a good connection for gaming. Your answer shows a lack of knowledge.

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Here are some things i feel may be affecting my connection:

Before getting fast fibre, I remember a talktalk technician telling me that the packets of data transfered over my line require alot of protection to avoid packet loss and errors, I chose to upgrade to fast fibre because they told me that doing so would help reduce the packet losses/errors on the line. I would like to know if my line is still requiring protection or if this is even still a factor in my connection quality.

From what I understand from research, some service providers carry out Deep packet inspection over customers lines to check the type of data a customer is using, e.g torrents, netflix etc. From what I understand, if a customer heavily uses netflix, like my household, then some service providers will put a constraint on the quality of internet the customer receives. I would like to know if this is the case with me.

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Also another thought, but could the processing power of my router be affecting the quality of the broadband?

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Please change my fast fibre connection to the gaming profile.

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @FireHe not sure this exists at talktalk. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Community Star

@FireHe  I have merged your topics, please do not start multiple threads on the same subject. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi FireHe,

We don't offer a gaming profile. Are you experiencing any problems with your connection?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Yes Michelle i am experiencing problems with my fast fibre beoadband connection. My gaming experience on my ps4 with the broadband is laggy whereas when I connect my ps4 to my supossedly inferior 4g mobile internet and the game runs smoothly with no lag. I am paying for premium fast fibre so I can use it for my gaming, and at the moment it is unusable. 

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Apologies for the poor grammer. Ill try reading my posts back before submission.

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Team Player
FYI - I'm not an talktalk employee or anyway attached to the company.

1. Can you post some details of your sync speeds/SNR margins etc from your broadband router.
2. Is the PS4 wireless?, the PS4 is notorious for bad Wifi.
3. Are you using talktalks DNS or changed it to googles etc?
4. What game are you trying to play on the PS4 (COD etc?).
5. Can you post a speedtest screenshot.
6. Are you using your master socket, with either a micro-filter or a VDSL Face-Plate.
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Liquid,

When I made the change from normal broadband to fast fibre, I did not have any changes made to the internal setup of my broadband connection. The mastersocket and faceplate has remained the same and I am still using the same micro filter as I did before fibre broadband. Was I supposed to receive installation of equipment inside my home?

Also I feel I should add that I have two old master sockets next to my active bt open reach master socket. Are these unused sockets having an effect on my broadband connection?

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

My sync speeds are 19mbps up 60mbps down and actual on speedtests around 17 up and 52 down. I am unable to find the page on my router to see the snr margin/line attenuation, I have a d-link dsl 3782 if that helps.

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Team Player

No new equipment needed sometimes a new router, but that Dlink is perfect for what you need.

The old sockets should cause no harm if not in use.

Speeds syncing to what your seeing on a speedtest is fine.

If you haven't replace the microfilter.

In regards to this, are you sure you arnt just joining a laggy game from time to time?

Does your 4G have a better connection than your home broadband giving you better "Host" advantage?

Highlighted

Hi FireHe,

Thanks for confirming this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection stats look ok at the moment. Could you run a wired ping and trace route the next time you experience the latency and post the results into the thread please.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have been comparing my 4g internet to my home fibre broadband for more than 6 months. I have tried everything I know to try and get my broadband connection to run Apex Legends, Destiny 2, overwatch well but have been unsuccessful. As I have stated before the ping for my wired connection is 6-8ms which is great. So i imagined the issue was with the in-game data transfers that travel through UDP ports. I then port forwarded all TCP and UDP ports that had any association with my game. Didn't help. I then felt maybe I had inputed something wrong as I forwarded the ports, so I took the Ps4 and placed it in the DMZ to see how that would affect the connection (this also would eliminate any other potential firewall issues). Didn't help. Ive tried using google dns, opendns. No difference.

My 4g mobile internet is not even great, the ping it has while playing is 20ms and it barely has an acceptable upload speed (800kbps), but for some reason it runs much better than the fibre broadband. 

I really didnt want to take the effort to ask for help on the community, as I thought that its unlikely ill get help with my tricky situation, but I have tried everything else.

If anyone has another idea of what I could try, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Growing in Power
Highlighted

Hi FireHe,

Did you see my last post?

Thanks