cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Improving my connection for gaming

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

What I am hoping for, is to receive as much information about this router that you plan to send me, for example, what changes have your technicians made to the router and what are those changes monitoring?

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi FireHe,

Thanks, this is still showing high pings to the router so this could possibly be a router issue. The rest of the results do look ok though. Yes the replacement router would replace the current one if it works ok and we'd also send a router returns bag for the original router. Would you like us to send a different router?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I would like to know for sure that the router you plan to send me has not received additional settings or custom firmware specifically designed for certain situations.

The reason I am being so cautious is because long ago, when I had an adsl broadband package with talktalk, a talktalk OCE_ said they would send me out a router to replace the one I had, because my one had issues. After receiving and setting up the router I checked its settings and I noticed additional settings on the router that I was unable to remove or change. I called up talktalk customer service and I was told that I had received a router that I should not have received. They told me that this router I was given was called a Red Router and that this is not a router given to customers by talktalk.

So please, can you assure me that the router you plan to send me is a standard issue straight replacement router with no additional features/settings?

Growing in Power
Highlighted

Hi

This will be the usual router we send to customers.  

This is now on the way to you.

The only way to be absolutely sure is to test 🙂

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Ok, sounds fine then, thank you for the clear answer. 🙂

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Wait, wait.  Actually no. I am not happy with that answer, as I have realised you didn't answer my question. Let me make this very simple. Please answer in kind.

Will the router you send me be the same as a router a new fibre broadband customer would receive

Please understand that I am not trying to be disruptive, but am worried because of past inconsistencies between talktalk employees. 

Growing in Power
Highlighted

No Problem 🙂

Let me know if there is improvement when the new router arrives.

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted

Hi

For a clear answer to your question : Will the router you send me be the same as a router a new fibre broadband customer would receive

A: Yes, this will be the same router provided to new Fibre broadband customers.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Wonderful!  xD

As soon as I receive it I will post a new set of test results on here. Thanks for all the support. 

Growing in Power
Highlighted

You're Welcome 🙂

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi OCE_Karl/Michelle, I have my new router, it came a week ago, here are some statistics:

Noise margin (db): 6.20 download, 6.40 upload.

Attenuation (db): 17.80 download, 0.00 upload.

Power (dbm): 12.60 download, 7.30 upload.

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Having used this new router for a week, I would like to give my personal experience with it.

For the most part it is great. I have all my devices connected to the router with no disconnections. 

I now though, have a strange situation with my gaming experience. For the first 30 minutes or so from powering on this router, my online gaming is literally perfect, and my matches run smoothly. After the 30 minutes, the quality returns to a similar condition as my previous router, where the online matches slightly lag and become choppy. As soon as I noticed the reduced quality, I restarted the router. After the restart the same thing happened, 30 minutes or so of smooth online play followed by a drop of quality afterwards.

I will run some tests and post them.

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Here are some results:

Ping test:

1st test:
Pinging google.co.uk [216.58.210.195] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.58.210.195: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=55
Reply from 216.58.210.195: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=55
Reply from 216.58.210.195: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=55
Reply from 216.58.210.195: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=55
Ping statistics for 216.58.210.195:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 8ms

2nd test:
Pinging google.co.uk [216.58.204.227] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.58.204.227: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=55
Reply from 216.58.204.227: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=55
Ping statistics for 216.58.204.227:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 6ms, Average = 5ms

Traceroute test:

1st test:
Tracing route to google.co.uk [216.58.204.227]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    89 ms    <1 ms     1 ms  ttrouter [192.168.1.1]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     5 ms     4 ms     4 ms  ae50-ner002.thw.as13285.net [78.144.1.3]
  4     5 ms     7 ms     5 ms  ae50-scr102.thw.as13285.net [78.144.1.2]
  5     5 ms     4 ms     4 ms  74.125.51.108
  6     8 ms     7 ms     7 ms  216.239.40.87
  7     6 ms     5 ms     6 ms  172.253.71.201
  8     5 ms     5 ms     5 ms  par21s06-in-f3.1e100.net [216.58.204.227]

2nd test:
Tracing route to google.co.uk [216.58.204.227]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  ttrouter [192.168.1.1]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     5 ms     5 ms     4 ms  ae50-ner002.thw.as13285.net [78.144.1.3]
  4     5 ms     4 ms     5 ms  ae50-scr102.thw.as13285.net [78.144.1.2]
  5     5 ms     5 ms     5 ms  74.125.51.108
  6     7 ms     8 ms     7 ms  216.239.40.87
  7     5 ms     5 ms     5 ms  172.253.71.201
  8     6 ms     5 ms     5 ms  par21s06-in-f3.1e100.net [216.58.204.227]

Speedtest.net results:

1st test: ping 13ms, 58mbps download, 18mbps upload
2nd test: ping 6ms, 58mbps download, 18mbps upload
3rd test: ping 4ms, 58mbps download, 18mbps upload
4th test: ping 16ms, 58mbps download, 18mbps upload

Growing in Power
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Please read all my posts since the instalment of my new router.

Thank you.

Growing in Power
Highlighted

Hi FireHe,

Could I just confirm, what make and model replacement router did you receive? Is it the same as the original? The pings and traces look good, apart from the first test shows high pings to the router.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

The new router I just received is a talktalk wifi hub, my previous router was the d-link DSL-3782.

Could my issues be related to the outside broadband cabinet?

Growing in Power
Highlighted

Hi FireHe,

Ok thanks for confirming and I'll take another look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks very consistent at the moment. When the speeds slow down every 30 minutes are you connected wired or wireless?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Wired

Growing in Power
Highlighted

Hi FireHe

Is this only affecting the connection when gaming? Is the connection ok in general for browsing?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi debbie, yes browsing is fine, downloading is fine. Online gaming is my only issue.

Growing in Power