would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Inform customers if they can never get the boost on fibre

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
dgsection
Team Player

I have been with TT for many years now, I am currently on the basic fibre package (upto 40MB/s) 

I recently wanted to upgrade to the faster fibre boost (after I received an offer through the post) but I was told this is not possible and never would be, however BT claim I can get the speed boost (upto 70MB/s)

Considering both BT & TT use the same infrastructure, why can BT supply this boost yet TT cannot?

I am more than happy with the service I have received from TT in the last 4/5 years, but I fear I may have to take my business elsewhere to get a faster speed and I think you should inform customers at sign-up of the absolute maximum they can ever achieve over FTTC, had I known upto 40MB/s was the fastest I could ever receive from TT I would have not have continually renewed my contract.

hosay299
Insightful One

@dgsection Post in the fibre area and a oce will reply with a reason and help look at it more for u.

Hope that help Joe R If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Community Team

Hi dgsection,

I'm sorry for any disappointment caused by this. The speed boost isn't offered because it's unlikely that you'd see much if any speed increase with the boost, based on your line stats.

Chris

FritzCT
Chat Champion

OP I would be a little wary of what BT say you can get.

When I checked my line with them they claimed I could get an average of 50 down (not guaranteed). They would only guarantee 28 down. When I checked the cabinet details it said a max of 57 down with a "Clean" line so unless I live on top of the cabinet with brand new copper wiring there's no way I'm going to average 50 down.

I'm not suggesting BT are making it up, just that they seem to live in a world of ideal scenarios rather than dealing with the infrastructure as it actually is.

Fritz

dgsection
Team Player
Hey OCE_Chris.
I understand what you are saying, but can you please explain to me something:

When I upgraded to faster fibre from ADSL (upto 40MB/s) I was synced at 39999 and received around 34MB/s throughput (all as expected)
I was on a fast path line and my maximum sync was 57000 with no interleaving but as I was on upto 40 I got what I paid for.
After a few years and a good offer from TT to upgrade to the faster fibre boost for just £1 a month more I attempted to take advantage of this offer, assuming I would see around 50MB/s throughput, however upon trying to upgrade I was told to call TT, I did this and was told I could not have the fibre boost, I was also told the same on this forum, but when I checked my router stats I could see my maximum sync had dropped from 57000 to around 48000 and interleaving depth had increased to at least 64.
Why? - Same line, same FTTC, same router and so on. If you are over subscribing to the cabinet then that is a joke, If I had known this back in 2016 I would have simply migrated to another ISP rather then upgrade to 40MB/s as I had no idea or indication from TT that this would be the fasted speed I would EVER achieve, even though my router stats implied I could get ~50MB/s on the upto 70/20 package

With all due respect Fritz, I know how ADSL and FTTC works, but thanks for your input anyway
Community Team

Hi dgsection 

Does the fibre speed boost show in My Account?

Thanks

Debbie

dgsection
Team Player

Hey @OCE_Debbie 

If I go to my offers and upgrades in my account it only shows the faster fibre, I can add it to an order and it says I may incur a contract admin fee (which is waived) but the price is the same as what I am paying now for 40MB/s (25 a month - 18 month contract)

This is no indication of any speed whatsoever so I do not wish to renew my contract just to see if it does apply the faster fibre speed boost as I currently only have 10~ months left on my current contract

ferguson
Community Star

If the Boost is available to you you should see something like this on your Offers & Upgrades page:

Screenshot 2019-10-25 at 12.27.01.png

dgsection
Team Player

Hey ferguson,

I do see that image when I go to my account/offers & upgrades, but if I click it it takes me to the purchase page but then shows the same image that says 'faster fibre' only but still says upto 67mb and in the cart it only states 'faster fibre'

It's all pretty moot now anyway, because my maximum sync has dropped from 58 to just 48 so I would not really see any improvement, it is the same price but I fear upgrading will simply mean I end up on interleaved instead of fastpath and I would have a less stable connection for a couple of mb increase.

Will have to think about it as I do not want to commit to another 18 months just now

dgsection
Team Player

Ferguson

Here is the image cropped from my browser in my account under offers & upgrades

offer.jpg

However if I click that 'get started' button I get this at the checkout

actual.jpg

ferguson
Community Star

OK, I get this:

Screenshot 2019-10-26 at 16.25.16.png

So that is clearly different from yours and suggests that you cannot in fact get the Boost.

FritzCT
Chat Champion

With all due respect Fritz, I know how ADSL and FTTC works, but thanks for your input anyway

Apologies if my post was confusing but I wasn't referring to the technical aspects I was referring to how BT market their product.

Fritz