Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Intermitent broadband connection.

14 REPLIES 14
Emmos
Chatterbox

I have an ongoing problem since February where my wifi drops out and will not reconnect on its own despite being set up to do so. I was told that if I upgraded and paid an extra £4 a month it would solve this. After nearly 20 years with British Telecom I knew this was a lie. Sure enough the problem remains. I report it every time but every time they find no problem. A one off test will never find an intermittent fault and as an ex diagnostic tester I know how hard it is to find them. I keep getting asked to supply my mobile number but as I have PAYG it is costing me money. If they have changed the fibre route and my fault has not been resolved the problem must lie between the exchange and my home. I run Internet Connectivity Monitor 1.41 to monitor the drop in service which can be up to five times in as many hours. Anyone know how I can progress this problem?

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Emmos 

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi Emmos

I'm sorry to hear this.

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

Emmos
Chatterbox

I have updated my contact details. Today my PC was on at 1424 and went down at 1503. My last contact was at 2126 last night when I requested they ring me on my landline rather that cost me money using texts. They then shunted me back to 0345 172 0088 which is where I started. If my wifi goes down once in the hour or so I have had it on it is pointless doing a one off test. The line needs to  be monitored, as I am doing.

Community Team

Hi Emmos,

Thank you and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection looks stable. Just to confirm, is it only wireless which is affected? Which router are you currently using? (make and model)

Thanks

Emmos
Chatterbox

It is a Talktalk Wi-Fi Hub as seen here https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Wi-Fi-Hub-Support/bd-p/Wi-Fi-Hub-Support

The box it came it has a label for Sagemcom Fast 5364 if that helps.

I have only just switched on my PC so I don't know if it has been down today. My program monitors the signal every five seconds though I can change that. Yesterday between 1424 and 2015 it went down twice but only once to affect service. The other time it went down between five and nine seconds and not enough to affect service.

Community Team

Hi

All tests are clear.  We can see no retrains, drops or errors on the line.  All looks clear.

Is this only affecting devices you have connected over WiFi ?

Have you checked for wifi congestion or tried setting another wireless channel ?

If you have legacy devices that are not capable of connecting to the 5Ghz channel you can split the to wifi broadcast channels to see if this helps.

Thanks

Karl. 

Emmos
Chatterbox

It appears to only affect the wifi including iPlayer when trying to access via the TV and of course the web on the TV.

I haven't tried setting to another channel. Looking at my Insidder program it shows I am on channel 1*13. There are seven users on channel 6, 12 on channel 1 and 6 on channel 11.

There are over 20 users on 2.4 Ghz and none on 5 Ghz.

Do you suggest changing channels and/or change to 5Ghz.

Community Team

Hi Emmos,

I would initially try the 5GHz band if your devices are compatible.

Chris

Emmos
Chatterbox

Thanks, I wondered why I had a channel 13 and apparently it is for my D-Link International (DHP-W610AV) which for months has been flashing more red than green but for the past two days has not flashed red. Strange.

Community Team

Hi Emmos,

How has it been over the weekend?

Chris

Emmos
Chatterbox

I did not us the PC on Saturday and only for four hours yesterday  and only three hours today but without any loss of service.

Community Team

Hi Emmos

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you continue to monitor this and let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie

Emmos
Chatterbox

I will do so. One time when I had a noise problem they had to send a BT man to rewire from the pole (we still have them in parts of London). Last time the intermittance came back it settled down as it has done now. Thanks for your help.

Community Team