cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Intermittent Connection - Move Master Socket?

9 REPLIES 9
KitKat1
Chatterbox

I recently moved my internet service from Sky to Talktalk. Since moving over, my internet connection from the hub has been dropping intermittently, affecting both Wi-Fi, and any devices connected via Ethernet cable (Sky Q, Ring alarm and Hive).

The talktalk router was originally plugged into an extension socket in my living room. Spoke to Online chat who weren't very helpful and didn't really seem to understand my issue. 

I've since moved my router to the master socket in my utility cupboard which has improved stability slightly (not fixed completely), however I've also now had to relocate my alarm & hive hub into the cupboard which isn't ideal. It also means my Sky Q box is now connected via WI-FI which isn't as quick or reliable when streaming Netflix etc.

If I ask to locate my master socket to the current extension socket in the living room (2017 new build house), will the engineer have to trail cables through or can they somehow reconfigure the sockets without having to do any visible cabling?

Should I need to do this or are my connection issues more to do with TalkTalk? I never had a single issue with Sky when my router was connected through the extension socket.

Thank you 

OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi KitKat1,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

KitKat1
Chatterbox

I’ve updated my profile as requested

thanks

Katie

OCE_Debbie

Hi Katie

We can request for the master socket to be relocated.

Openreach engineers can also install and replace master sockets if requested. This is chargeable at £128.40.

Thanks

Debbie

KitKat1
Chatterbox
Hi Debbie

Is it normal for my router connection to be so intermittent through an extension socket as I have never had a single issue with Sky?

If I request to move my master socket, how is the work done - will there be external cabling visible in the house?

Thanks
Katie
OCE_Debbie

Hi KitKat1

Are wired connections also dropping or just wireless?

Thanks

Debbie

KitKat1
Chatterbox

Both wired and wireless connections are lost as the whole router disconnects

OCE_Debbie

Hi KitKat1

Thanks for your reply.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults.

Was the connection previously ok when connected at the extension socket? It may be worth arranging a TalkTalk engineer visit to take a look at the extension socket to see if they can detect any issues as you may be able to re connect the router back to your usual set up if they can fix a fault.

Thanks

Debbie

KitKat1
Chatterbox

Hi Debbie, 

Thanks for your help. An engineer may be a good idea as like I mentioned previously, we never had any issues with sky internet when everything was set up through the extension socket.

How would I arrange for an engineer visit please?

Thanks

Katie

OCE_Chris

Hi Katie,

We can arrange the engineer for you we just need to confirm some details, but I've taken a look at your connections stats and they don't show any disconnections for the last couple of weeks - do you know if the lights change on your router when the connection drops?

Chris