Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Intermittent Internet connection

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Team Player

Can you tell me why my internet connection becomes strangely intermittent every night from about 11.00pm to about 12.30am.  It seems to work perfectly well at all other times.  The dropouts are brief, say about 15secs at a time, and random.  The lights on the router all look normal, wifi connection is fine and broadband connection is fine.  When watching, say, YouTube or searching google I get the spinning wheel of fortune for a time and then a message that says 'server not responding'.  Is it likely that the TalkTalk server is doing some sort of a regular update at this time every night?  

JohnS
Highlighted
Team Player
Oh well. doesn't look like anybody has a clue about this issue. Never mind, I will have to contact technical on the phone when I have plenty of time to spare.
JohnS
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi John

I'm really sorry for the delay. We are doing our best in these unprecedented circumstances due to the Corona Virus.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults. There shouldn't be an update every night.

Does this also affect wired connections?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player
Hi Debbie. Thanks for getting back to me. I guess unless you tested at the very same time as there was an outage everything would be fine. I'm not sure if it affects the wired connection, all I can tell you is that the WiFi (wireless) connection is working fine during an outage. The issue only seems to ocure within the two hour period I mentioned and as everything internally to my property indicates a working system it all points to a server issue. The message I get at the time is always, server is not responding. Very strange.
JohnS
Highlighted

Hi John

Would it be possible to test this this evening (if you are online) with a wired device just to see if this also experiences this issue?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player
Hi Debbie. I might need a few days to sort as the only two wired connections I have are the YouView box and Hive I think.
JohnS
Highlighted

Hi John

No problem, please post back here to let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player
Hi Debbie. I have been monitoring the situation over the past week and it seems to be same every day. It is extremely difficult to assess if the same situation happens with hard wired equipment, but I think it does because the YouView box also becomes intermittently sluggish. On my wifi connected devices I get the same 'no internet connection' on google searches as well as YouTube. However it is very difficult to pinpoint anything as the outagers only seem to last from 5 seconds to 30 seconds max. All of the lights on the router indicate normally with no loss of service indicated. The earliest I have noticed the problem occuring is about 22.45, I haven't stayed up late enough to notice when the problem goes away. It would seem that the issue is not restricted to any one particular device. Not sure if any of this helps. John S.
JohnS
Highlighted

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

We can send a replacement router for testing to rule out a possible router issue. Would you like me to arrange this?

Debbie