would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Intermittent discionnect from broadband

16 REPLIES 16
Elfed
Popular Poster

Hi

We occasionally lose the broadband connection. The router shows only green lights. Re-booting the router sorts the problem out. By re-booting I mean just switching off and back on after a few seconds. When it happens it can happen 3-4 times in one day and then for a couple of days in a row, and then not happen for weeks. Is this likely to be a problem with the router ? Would a new one help ? Is it just an overloading of the local open reach network ? Should I try  rebooting the  reach modem ?

It's happened about 4 times  in the last 3 hours today. It's driving my son mad.

I'm loathe to try live chat or helpline as they will just make me walk through all the things that I have tried already and still not reach a solution !

Any help or advice gratefully received!

KeithFrench
Community Star

Judging by the lights staying green, this does not sound like a line issue. How do your devices connect to the router, via wireless or wired connections? If a mixture, do wired connections suffer the same as the wireless ones?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Elfed
Popular Poster

Thanks @KeithFrench for the reply.

When it happens, everything connected to the router whether wired (either direct by Ethernet or via power adaptors) or by WiFi loses broadband.

It does often seem to happen around 6pm - quite often on a Sunday.  It started at that time yesterday as well.

Community Team

Hi Elfed,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and I can't see any re-connections on the line. Just to confirm, do any of the lights change on the router when this happens? When did you last experience a drop in connection?

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Elfed 

I will leave you in Michelle's very capable hands then.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Elfed
Popular Poster

Thanks for checking @OCE_Michelle .

The lights stay green. It happened last night about 4 times between 6 pm and 9:30 pm. The last time was sometime between 9 pm and 9:30 pm. 

Community Team

Hi Elfed,

Do you have another router you can test with?

Chris

Elfed
Popular Poster

Hi @OCE_Chris 

This problem has been going on for a couple of years at least , and I did try another router a while back. It was the same model. TT sent me  3 identical routers when we  converted to fibre , because I had to rebook the installation twice, so I got a new router each time !  I've hung on to them just in case we have serous problems.

Anyway, the disconnection problem came back even with the other router. So we have just been living with rebooting the router when we lose connection. But the family have got fed up with it now.

As we can go several weeks without disconnections, it could be a while before we can tell if the swapping routers has solved the problem.  The main annoyance is that when we get disconnections we get several in a row over a few days.

By the way, I said yesterday that the green lights stay on when we lose broadband. If we don't re-boot the router immediately, the broadband light  does eventually go red after several minutes after losing connection. It could  possibly a more than 10 minutes later but I'm not sure as we don't usually wait that long before rebooting.

Elfed

Community Team

Hi Elfed

Which make and model of router did you receive?

Thanks

Debbie

Elfed
Popular Poster

All the routers I have are Huawei HG533.

The one I'm currently using has firmware version v1.21t

Community Team

I think we should try a different make and model of router, would you like me to send one?

Chris

Elfed
Popular Poster

Yes please.

Thanks

Community Team

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of working days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Chris

Elfed
Popular Poster

Thanks. I'll let you know when we get it and how we get on.

Community Team
Elfed
Popular Poster

Router arrived yesterday. All OK so far, but I think new will have to wait a few weeks before we can be sure the fault has gone.

I was  a bit thrown that the hg633 doesn't need to be plugged into the Openreach box. Does that mean we can unplug the Openreach box ?

Community Team

Hi Elfed,

Thanks for the update

Yes, if it's an Openreach modem then it isn't required as the router has it's own built in modem 🙂

Chris