Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Intermittent fibre broadband service

19 REPLIES 19
Biomechanic
Team Player

I have had intermittent fibre broadband access since the morning of Saturday 3rd.

Flashing amber light on router, which might turn solid white for 5 or 10 minutes then off again for hours. Sometimes amber flashing changes to white flashing, then back to amber flashing.

There is also a 'crackling' on the line when making and receiving phone calls.

My issue is exactly the same as this person here :

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Intermittent-broadband/td-p/2298484

Rang Customer Service on Saturday (yesterday) and they ran tests and said they could not find a fault, asked me to remove built-in microfilter cover from master socket and plug things in that way, tried that – no joy – still the same.

Tried a my old router which displayed the same behaviour, which made me think the router was not at fault. I also tried new duplicate cables, still the same issue – just contant drop-outs for hours at a time.

This morning (Sunday 4th) it's still the same so I rang Customer Services yet again and they did more tests and apparently diagnosed a problem at the exchange.

So, the upshot is, they are sending out a non-appointed (whatever that means) Openreach Engineer within the next 72 hours to fix the issue, this engineer might need access to my home depending on the outcome of his visit to the exchange.

I just want an OCE to confirm that the above is actually happening an perhaps do another test to allay my fears.

In my 5 years of using Talk talk, I am finally seriously considering leaving as it is imperative that I have a stable Broadband connection.

Sincerely,

John

John Alan Seymour
Biomechanic
Team Player

Just some additional information.

I moved home a month ago, the Openreach engineer noticed some bizzare behaviour on my connection at the exchange, but everything was working OK.

It just started to drop suddenly the last day or so.

I'm on a wired connection.

John Alan Seymour
Biomechanic
Team Player

It's 3:30 PM now and so far the line has dropped 23 times.

Just flashing amber to flashing white, then back to flashing amber...

John Alan Seymour
Biomechanic
Team Player

I wouldn't normally post personal information about myself on any public forum, but in this case I feel it's necessary.

I have an older sister in Spain who has stage 4 brain cancer - I speak to her 3 times a day via Skype, but because of this issue with my fibre broadband, I cannot.

This is very distressing, can somebody from Talk Talk please help me with this problem.

John Alan Seymour
Community Team

Hi Biomechanic

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've contacted our Network Team for an update on this fault and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Biomechanic
Team Player

Hello Debbie

Thanks for the response, it's appreciated.

Phone calls are now impossible as the noise on the line today is so loud and intrusive.

Please note, If I connect the phone by itself, directly to the internal master socket, the noise remains.

Fibre broadband still displaying the same behaviour of connecting then reconnecting.

At the moment I have it setup in this configuration... master socket front plate removed and phone/data cables connected via microfilter into the internal socket.

Thanks

John

John Alan Seymour
Community Team

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

Openreach have advised that they are investigating this fault and further updates should be available by 07/08/19.

Thanks

Debbie

Biomechanic
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Thanks for the updated information. but the 7th is two days away - I have no service, both phone or broadband.

So if it does not get sorted out until that date, then that will be 4/5 days without service !!

Thanks

John

John Alan Seymour
Community Team

Hi John

Apologies for this.

The fault may be fixed before this time, however this is the date Openreach have provided before we can request further updates.

Thanks

Debbie

Biomechanic
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Openreach Engineer has just gone, problem was a corroded cable 23 metres from the telegraph pole - work has been done and everything is working perfectly - voice line is clear as a bell now.

Thanks for your input and help, it is greatly appreciated

John

John Alan Seymour
Community Team

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

I'm so glad to hear that this fault has been resolved. Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

Biomechanic
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Slight issue with speed this morning, I normally achieve around 37.5 Mbps, but this morning that has dropped to 32 Mbps - any idea why that is ?

I've rebooted the router and it's still the same.

Also, bizarrely, my upload speed has increased from 8 Mbps to 13 Mbps

John

John Alan Seymour
Biomechanic
Team Player

Just powered down the router for 30 minutes - still got the drop in speed.

John Alan Seymour
Community Team

Hi Biomechanic,

Current sync speed is 35Mbps down and 10Mbps up. If your connection remains stable DLM should move you to a faster profile 

Chris

Biomechanic
Team Player

Thanks for the reply Chris, no idea what DLM is...

John Alan Seymour
Community Team

Hi John,

DLM (dynamic line management) is a system that constantly monitors your line for disconnections and errors, it then adjusts your connection speed to keep the number of disconnections and errors within predefined limits to maintain a fast but stable connection  

Chris

Biomechanic
Team Player

Ok Chris, thanks.

But I still want to know why, before the fault I was at 37.5 Mbps and now the fault is fixed I'm down to 32-ish Mbps (not 35 like you said yesterday).

I know it's not much of a drop, but it's a drop nonetheless and I just want to have the speed I had before.

So when will this DLM thing kick in and do it's job and get me back up there ?

Thanks

John

John Alan Seymour
Community Team

Hi Biomechanic

Thew DLM system  will monitor the line at different times of the day, and when it shows your line is remaining stable then it will change the DLM profile. 

All we can ask is that you continue to monitor, and ensure that the router remains on. 

Regards

Biomechanic
Team Player

Well I'm not happy really...

When downloading I was getting 4.42 MB/s

Now it's 3.88 MB/s tops

Something has gone wrong somewhere when the higher speeds were achieved with faulty wiring !!

John Alan Seymour
Community Team

Hi Biomechanic,

It usually takes between 24-48hrs for DLM to start making changes to the speed if the connection remains stable. Could you bump your thread tomorrow and we can re-check the connection stats again to see how they compare.

Thanks