Internet Stops Working Midnight to 1am

Highlighted
Trystrem
Team Player
@OCE_Michelle yes it was finished.
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Trystrem,

Thanks for confirming and I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks

Highlighted
Dustym
Team Player

Hi All

I've posted this on the thread to my issue but reposting here as requested (https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Wi-fi-dropout/m-p/2353563#M223450)

Trace report on Saturday evening when all working fine.....

trace-working.PNG

and now on Sunday just past midnight when everything stops working......

trace-notworking.PNG

Hope this helps solve this issue. 

I see that a few others have now joined the list of people having the same issue 👍

Thanks

Paul

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi,

Thanks, I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks

Highlighted
Trystrem
Team Player

getting some traction here - hopefully be resolved soon.

what do we do in terms of compensation?

thanks

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Trystrem,

I'm still currently waiting for an update on this. In regards to compensation, we only offer this for total loss of service faults. Could I just ask, have you ever tried changing the DNS settings to google DNS when this occurs?

Thanks

Highlighted
Trystrem
Team Player

@OCE_Michelle 

I'm not sure how not having internet for 1 hour per week every week is not a total loss of service? I have proved through screen shots and tests that this is the case and not a fault of my own.

if you can link me to these DNS settings then I will attempt on Sunday night but still eagerly await your response RE the ping and trace tests.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Trystrem,

I'm sorry but although it is a total loss of service for the 1 hours period, this is an intermittent fault and not covered. While I know it must be frustrating it's obviously not the same as having no service at all for an extended period of time.

The google DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

Please let us know how you get on

Chris  

Highlighted
Trystrem
Team Player

@OCE_Chris I beg to differ - 1 hour since the beginning of January for every week (when this thread was created) is 19 hours alone... the problem was notified to your customer service team before hand and has been an issue since my switch over in October. Not to mention the hours I've wasted on this forum, on the phone to tech support following their scripts etc.

for years I've been a great advocate of TalkTalk but no longer. no resolution. no admitting fault. no compensation for my time. nothing.

@OCE_Chris where do I put these DNS numbers in?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Trystrem,

I'm sorry for the delay. I am still looking into this with our Network Engineers at the moment. Just to confirm, are you currently using the HG633 or the wifi hub and I can provide instructions.

Thanks

Highlighted
Trystrem
Team Player

@OCE_Michelle I believe I am - it is the latest super router that you sent me.

** apologies no. its not the hg633. its the new router with the grill on the front.

Highlighted
TommyD
Conversation Starter

Do I get a cookie if it's the DNS issue I reported earlier in the thread? 😆

Anywho @Trystrem I hope this fixes it for you. Also that second traceroute bolsters my theory of a DNS fault.. That would be infrastructure, however fixing that would at least fix god knows how many peoples issues all at once - a good thing for talk talk. Thankfully the workaround is simply changing the DNS servers.

It could be both issues though? I still stand by it being the IP lease expiring after 24 hours (the timing being impeccable also bolsters my theory) and not renewing the lease on the IP address when it tries.

I dont suppose you know if you WAN IP addresss changes after the fault? If it does its undoubtedly the DHCP leasing. Maybe log your IP tonight prior to it disconnecting and then after the fault kicks in?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Trystrem,

I've just received an update from our Network Team to advise that they have made a change which they think will resolve this issue. You no longer need to change the DNS settings. Could you let us know how you get on please?

Thanks

Highlighted
Trystrem
Team Player
Thanks Michelle. Can you advise what change was made? I will post results on Monday morning.
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Trystrem,

Thank you 🙂 It was an issue on the Network which we now believe has been fixed.

Thanks

Highlighted
TommyD
Conversation Starter
What was the issue?
Highlighted
Trystrem
Team Player

thanks Michelle - but what was the issue as I was told time and time again that the line tests were coming back fine?

also how's the compensation coming along?

thanks

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Trystrem,

The line tests were clear as this isn't a line issue, it was a issue on our Network which we are now hoping is resolved following some changes made by our Network Engineers.

Automatic Compensation will only cover total loss of service faults and unfortunately this is not classed as a TLOS fault. We also wouldn't be able to discuss the billing aspect until we're confident that the fault has been resolved. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Dustym
Team Player

Morning All

Well, the fix (whatever it was ?) worked for me 😁  I had uninterrupted browsing between midnight and 01:00am - Thanks to all concerned for their help in resolving the issue.

If someone could take the trouble to advise more precisely than "a network issue" what the cause actually was I'd really like to know !  

Cheers

Paul.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

This was a configuration fault on part of the network.  It was passed to senior network engineers to resolve, but we do not have the exact cause / resolution explanation, only that it was identified and resolved.

Thanks

Karl.