cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet access being dropped from various devices at random times.

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Geejayz
Popular Poster

Initially when I signed up for TalkTalk back in July of this year, I had some issues with access to the internet on my mobile and samsung galaxy tablet. The devices would be connected to WiFi but after some time there would be no internet available.

I had thought that this was perhaps due to inactivity. Each time I had to turn Wifi off and back on on the devices to get access again.

Over the last month, I have the same problem now with my main laptop that I use daily for several projects. (Ironically, I have not had the issue on either my mobile or tablet for about 6 weeks now. )

After several outages on the laptop today, I plugged in an ethernet cable direct to the router and sure enough after about 20 minutes that also got dropped.

In the last week this has now started to affect my Samsung TV. Netflix gets dropped after about 20 minutes. The TV needs to be turned off and on for it to reestablish connection.

The tablet and mobile continue to remain functional at this outage times so there isn't an issue with the internet availbility but rather what the router appears to be allowing to be connected.

Is this a faulty router, or is there some setting somewhere that I can make in the router to have ALL devices stay alive. My heating system works over wireless so I'd really like to fix this now before the router takes issue with it.

Currently I am linked with my laptop to a Wifi hotspot on my 4G mobile network and it has been up for over an hour now so again I'm confident that this is something happening at the router and not within the laptop.

How do I open a support ticket with TalkTalk in this regard?

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Geejayz

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Geejayz
Popular Poster

Done!

Do you have a support ticketing system to track progress etc or will you be personally handling this issue from now so that there is no need to bring other support people up to speed on every communication?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Geejayz,

I'll take a look at this now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection looks stable. Do you have an alternative router that you can test with to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
Geejayz
Popular Poster
Thanks Michelle.
I only have a Vodaphone router from my previous provider but I do not believe I can access the username/password or whatever it uses to authenticate with the service.
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Geejayz,

Ok, would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
Geejayz
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle,

I think I may have found the culprit.

I have uninstalled NordVPN from my laptop and there has been no issue for the last couple of hours. I will see how it goes over the weekend but this seems very positive as the dropouts in the last week were every 20 - 30 minutes.

Perhaps the issues I saw with Netflix and my mobile and tablet were coincidental issues. The above would explain why both etherent and wifi were both being disconnected.

Fingers crossed. I will get back before the start of next week with hopefully good news

Highlighted
Geejayz
Popular Poster

I spoke too soon 😞

Yes, if you could send a replacement router to try to resolve that would be very much appreciated. I can then either send the current or the new router back to you depending on the outcome.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Geejayz

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Geejayz
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle / Debbie,

It does look like the replacement router has resolved this issue.

I haven't had any random disconnects on my laptop since I swapped the router out.

I will return the original one in the next few days.

Thanks for your assistance with this.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Geejayz

That's great, thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie

Highlighted
Geejayz
Popular Poster

Hi,

This issue has returned now with the replacement router.

I still get regular drop-outs again on my laptop but less frequent than before.

However, whilst my TV hadn't shown much issue before, it is now dropping out more frequently and seems to be unwilling to reconnect with a simple turn off and on.

Can you confirm what the username and password combination for my account is or where I can find these stored in the router?

It seems either this model of router is problematic or there is an issue with the underlying service.

I am going to try to borrow a router from someone else and determine if that resolves the issue or not.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Geejayz,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take another look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault.

Just to confirm, was the replacement router the same make and model as the previous router? If you're unable to borrow a different make and model of router then please let us know and we can arrange to send a different router for testing purposes to rule this out.

Thanks

Highlighted
Geejayz
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle,

Yes the replacement router is the same type - it is the one with the single led on the front at the bottom centre.

I have managed to borrow a BT branded hub from a work colleague today - haven't tried it yet, (likely to be tomorrow), but I will need to know what username or password combination it needs to connect to the service. (Can you confirm where I can find this within the admin panel of the TalkTalk router?).

Also, are there are other settings I could possibly adjust within the current TalkTalk router?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi @Geejayz

We don't use usernames and passwords,  instructions for setting up a non TalkTalk router can be found here

Hope that helps. 

Highlighted
Geejayz
Popular Poster

Yes it does Arne - thank you.

Highlighted
engagepay
Popular Poster

Reading this post this looks like a Wifi issue than a router issue.

Is your router located in the same area as your TV?  If not, does it have to go through walls/doors etc.  Personally you might need a wifi extender (get a decent one) or a Powerline extender.

Cheers

Paul.

Highlighted
Geejayz
Popular Poster

Unfortunately I couldn't get the router I borrowed (BT Home Hub 4) to connect to the internet. It doesn't appear to have all of the options mentioned in the setup instructions so perhaps some of these are locked within the router.

Prior to trying the BT router (Tuesday) I had a particularly bad period where my laptop disconnected three times in a half-hour period between 6 and 6.30pm roughly whilst trying to do my supermarket shop. It seemed like a good point to try out the swap. What I did notice though was that when I went back on to the TalkTalk router again that it seemed quite stable and I had no more issues that night.

Just to clarify, both my laptop and TV are not losing connection with the router - they are being disconnected from the internet (i.e on Windows 10 this shows in the connection as Connected - No Internet Access). On the TV GUI it shows a solid path from the Router to the TV but an X through the path from the router to the internet. Once it fails, it never comes back without intervention (disconnect/reconnect on PC, main power off or network reset on TV) When I do get disconnections, my mobile phone and Samsung tablet remain connected so the internet is still there. It looks like the router is somehow deactivating certain connections.

What are the next steps? Is there a different type of router you can provide? It seems strange that both supplied routers I have tried behave the same way unless they actually have some built in feature (or fault) to behave this way. The router is a Sagecomm model I believe from the dashboard image.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Geejayz

We can send a DSL3782 or HG633 router for testing if you would like us to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie