Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet connection dropped a couple of nights around same time

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Mine internet connection dropped out a twice in the last 3 days at 1AM for between 1 to 3 hours. Doesn't seem like a router fault, but more like some service update/upgrade?

The log viewing capabilities on the router is not optimal [cr@p] - you can only go forward/back one page at a time, you can't jump to a page, you can't download it, you can't search it so it took about 300 mouse clicks to get to the page for last outage on 22nd.

You can see in the log output below that there are no messages from 01:04:37 to 04:01:57 which is the length of that service outage (I know this  because my Nest cameras and Access Points alerted me about loss of connectivity to cloud services during this time period). Although the log is set to debug level, it doesn't really give a clue as to where the issue is - did the router go down, did the line go down, only see that it acquires an IP address at the time the service is restored???

BTW: the log is full of a lot of messages "DNS name resolution failure (_bookmarkdavs._tcp.p51-bookmarks.icloud.com)" - what's that about?

22.08.2019 04:02:00 Info SYS TR-069 connectivity to (acs.talktalk.co.uk) has been closed
22.08.2019 04:01:57 Info DHCPC The WAN DHCP client IP address 2.100.207.20
22.08.2019 01:04:37 Error DNS DNS name resolution failure (_bookmarkdavs._tcp.p51-bookmarks.icloud.com)

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi blokexx,

I can't check your connections history at the moment due to a system issue. Did the lights change on your router when the connections dropped?

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris - sorry no idea as both on the 21st and 22nd it was in the early hours of the morning when I was fast asleep 😉 First I knew about the drops was when I got up in the morning and had notifications from both my Access Points and Nest Apps that there was a loss of internet connection. I checked my LAN switch and that had no errors itself around the times of the connection outages, but its log also showed it could not communicate with its cloud controller. So everything points to the broadband connection being down for some reason.

Highlighted

Hi blokexx,

I've managed to check now and I can see 2 reconnections showing in the last couple of days

22/08/2019 03:55 and 21/08/2019 02:16

I can't see any issues on the line so the disconnections may have been due to work on network. Could you monitor the connection over the weekend and let us know if you experience any further disconnections 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Ok, will do. Thx for taking a look.
Although the speed seems fine, when we make phone calls the line is very crackly and i need to report that as a separate issue. I don't think it has anything to do with this iss as its been crackly for probably 2+ months.
Highlighted

Hi blokexx

Thanks for your reply.

Noise on the line can affect the BB connection. Is the noise still present if you test with a corded handset at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Unfortunately haven't had a corded handset for many years 😞 Might see if I can borrow one, but think everyone has cordless ones nowadays.
Highlighted

Hi blokexx

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to test your phone on a different line (family or friends line) to see if you still experience any noise? This would help rule out the handset being faulty.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
The cordless base is all neatly wired in some trunking behind a shelf so would require major extraction ;-( I'll see if I can borrow one or buy a cheap one on ebay.
Highlighted

Hi blokexx

Ok, please let us know how you get on.

If the noise is still present at the test socket then we can pass this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Hi Debbie - finally got a corded handset, took off the front of the master socket (which has built in filter) and plugged it into the socket inside. The crackling on the line when I made a couple of test calls is still present, so looks like a line issue somewhere.
Highlighted

Hi

Testing with a different handset at the test socket demonstrates the issue is external.

This will need an engineer to resolve.  As the usual line tests are showing clear and not picking up the issue then we will have to make an appointed visit.

I'll send you a PM with the info required.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Hi Karl - I saw that there must have been some sort of line test this morning as the phone reported the line was disconnected. Since then the crackling has gone! Would the line test have reset something that may have been causing it?
You can close thsi down for now and if it comes back I will re-report.
Highlighted

Hi

The line test is intrusive and will disconnect the circuit while the test is ran.

Keep an eye on things and do let us know if the issue returns.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

The crackling on the line returned couple of weeks ago and exists when I swap the cordless phone base with the corded phone I bought so I will need to have someone come out and take a look.

Highlighted

Hi @blokexx

All the line tests we run are not indicating any problems, if we book an engineer and they don't find a fault there will be a £65 charge, are you willing to accept this?  

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Yes thats Ok.

Highlighted

Hi blokexx,

If you'd like us to go ahead with the engineer visit can you provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also PM'd you to confirm some other details 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Sorry - how do I reply privately just to yourself? 

Highlighted

On the top right of the page just underneath your avatar, you should see a blue envelope icon, if you click on this you should see the PM from me. If you open the PM you can reply by clicking on the blue reply button on the bottom right - hope that helps 🙂

Chris