Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet connection dropping occasionally / vpn issues

66 REPLIES 66
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi,

I have the new talktalk hub router and i've noticed my connection drops and restarts approximately every 10 to 15 days. Just checking if this is normal. behaviour? Also does this particular router have any firewall restrictions on using a vpn. I work from home and connect via a vpn but notice that on occasions i get disconnected or am blocked from doing certain things that seem to be firewall related.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi marksc,

Are you currently using the wifi hub? This should work fine with VPN. How often is the VPN connection dropping?

Thanks

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle,

Yes I am . It can drop multiple times per day. I tried looking at the wifi hubs router logs but they are very BIG nd there is no way to go directly to the last page of the logs - you are forced to go through the logs page by page and there are just too many pages for me to get to the very end 😞 

Highlighted

Hi Mark

Have you tried changing the DNS and then connecting to your work vpn to see if this makes a difference ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Haven't posted on this issue in a while buti've been having ongoing problems with my internet.  I believed i have narrowed down the problem to my talktalk hub router.  For some reason it s sporadically "throttling" the internet speed of any connected devices. The sync speed i am getting shoud be sufficient to handle all connected devices. Yesterday it got so bad that i couldn't even run a speed test.  So i switched back to my really old router (hg635) and everything is working fine again. Not sure if there is a specific problem with my talk talk hub router but from time to time it exhibits odd behaviour in regrads to what devices can get a reliable connection and in the past the only way to resolve this is to reboot the router.  I would say that the current software on the router seems very basic and it speaks volumes that the hg635 is working fine.

Highlighted

Hi marksc,

Do you know which firmware version your wifi hub is currently running, there has been a new firmware version recently released 

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

The firmware version is SG4K10001E00t

Highlighted

Hi marksc,

That is the latest release firmware. Your router has probably only been updated to this version over the last couple of weeks or days, have you noticed any difference very recently?

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

The slow connection speeds that all connected devices have been experiencing is pretty recent and may have coincided with a firmware upgrade. I'm still using my old hg635 router with no issues so the issue definitely lies with the hub router.

Highlighted

There is another change that we can try with the firmware if you want to give it a go, but if you're happy to continue using the HG635 that's fine

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris, 

I would prefer to use the hub given it has a better range than thr hg635 and not to mention I had to purchase this router from talk talk . Let me know what else i can try. Is there a possibility something is wrong with my specific router and can it be replaced for a new one? 

Highlighted

If you could connect the Wifi hub again I can try a change to your firmware to see if the helps. If you want to give this a try just let me know when you've swapped the routers.

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris, 

Thr hub router is reconnected . I am working from home so if this could be done ASAP it would be appreciated.

Highlighted

OK, I'm going to make a change to your firmware, I'll let you know when I've done it

Chris

Highlighted

I've made the change to your firmware, can you please retest and let us know how you get on

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris 

The hub router appears to be working at the moment . Will  monitor over the next few days to see if any connection issues persist. 

Highlighted
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately it looks like the firmware upgrade you applied to my hub router has not resolved my issue. I logged on to my personal laptop this evening and my internet was crawling. I couldn't even run a broadband speed test ( see attached file ). As soon as i switched back to my hg635 router i could connect fine with no issues. I think there is something wrong with my hub router and i would like to get a replacement hub router2019-02-01 (1).png sent out.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Further to my last post i started getting issues connecting to websites with the hg635. I restarted the hg635 and at the moment i can connect fine to websites. However i'm beginning to wonder if there is some issue with my line rather than the router. Can this be investigated?

Highlighted

Hi marksc 

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see re connections on the line.

How often are you rebooting the router?

Thanks

Debbie