Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet connection dropping occasionally / vpn issues

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi marksc

Yes this would be the same router as your current router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie

That's fine  Can you please send me the replacement router. 

Highlighted

Hi Mark

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
Thanks Debbie.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Wizz Kid
Hi Debbie - Internet connection was ok this morning but speeds have just massively dropped to such an extent that I can't run any speed tests. If you're able to can you run a quick line test to see if anything else is going on that is non router related. Have sent this message via mobile 4g.
Highlighted

Hi Mark

Apologies for this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults. If the connection is dropping then this will affect the sync speed. DLM will reduce the speed to try and stabilise the connection.

If the connection remains stable with the replacement router then DLM should then start to change the profile again to increase the speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
Thanks Debbie. Internet speed seems to have recovered again but this pattern seems to repeat all the time - speed is normal then drops off substantially then recovers. Hopefully the replacement router will stabilise things!!!
Highlighted

Hi Mark

Apologies for this.

Please let us know how the connection compares with the replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

I am still experiencing the same intermittent speed issues with the new talktalk wifi hub router that was sent to me. 

Everything can be fine for a while and then the internet speed drops off to such an extent I can't even run a speed test check. Then all of a sudden the speeds will recover - its almost as if for whatever reason the speed is getting randomly throttled.  This occurs whether I am using wifi or a direct connection via ethernet. As its intermittent I know it may be more difficult to isolate the issue but as this issue has been going on for the last three weeks I believe an openreach engineer would need to investigate this issue. I realize talktalk has little or no control as to  openreach engineer that would visit the house but if possible I would prefer the same engineer who came out to the property on the last occasion as they were very savvy and helpful. From we moved to this property almost 5 years ago we have had a LOT of issues with our internet. I work from home so need a stable internet connection - having to tether my mobile is not a great alternative.

Highlighted

Hi Mark

Does the speed increase on its own or do you reboot the router?

How many devices are connected to the router?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

Sometimes the speed comes back but only for a short period. Then it goes really slow again. This sequence can repeat many times. Rebooting the router seems to "fix" the issue for a longer period of time i.e. possible for a couple of hours but ultimately the same issue will arise again.

There are approx. 14 devices connected but most use little bandwith i.e. I have 5 wifi plugs. I have tried reducing the no of connected devices but get the same issue. Before this issue started a few weeks ago I still had the no of devices connected without any issue so I don't believe the no of connected devices is the issue.

Unless you have any other suggestions I believe an openreach engineer needs to investigate my line.

Highlighted

Hi Mark

I have passed this over to our Network Team for investigation and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
Thanks Debbie
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Debbie,

I went back and reviewed the earlier threads and I can see I had almost exactly the same issue back in February. Its like deja vu - even my responses ( and yours) are almost identical to the recent posts. However I think this time the issue is more pronounced. I've no idea why the issue went away back in February but its back with a vengeance!!!

With that said I can't see the network team uncovering anything so I would like to ahead and book  an openreach engineer. I held off doing this the last time but I think I need to ahead with this on this occasion.

Highlighted

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply.

It would be our Network Team who arrange the engineer visit. I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Mark

Our Network Team have been unable to detect any issues and the sync speed looks good and is within range for your line.

Our Network Team have asked if you can try splitting the SSID’s on the Wifi so you have two Wifi channels to choose from.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

I already have both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies setup with separate ssid's assigned. Most of my devices by default connect to the 2.4ghz frequency. Any that are on the 5ghz frequency ( which includes my work laptop) show slow speeds when this issue arises. I have reduced the no of connected devices to the router ( approx. 3 or 4 devices)  and this seems to make no difference so it doesn't look like a load issue. I have been having this issue again this morning and its really frustrating. As I have said before the only thing that seems to work for a short period is to reboot the router. I've tried several routers and experience the same issue so it doesn't look like a router issue. Yes the sync speed on the router is showing what I would expect but something is going on with the internet speeds which I can't explain. Have also tried changing the router channels but again this doesn't see to make any difference. The pattern this morning was that initially the internet speed was ok, then it slowed down massively ( couldn't perform a successful speed test), internet speed remained slow until I did a router reboot. No idea how long speeds will hold :(.

Highlighted

Hi

When things are slow, does this affect any wired devices ?

Looking at the last 3 days with the new router in place, I can see wifi coverage issues and throughput issues.

I can also see all devices you have connected.  There are a number of TPlink devices, all connecting to the router with a communication speed averaging 60mb all except one that is only connecting at 6mb.  There could be an issue with this device.  If it helps to identify, the internal IP is 192.168.1.17

I've also pulled the DLM logs from Openreach - every 15 minutes for the last 72 hours and these do show errors at all times. The errors are mostly in single figures but do indicate a possible issue.

If wired devices do show a slow throughput then we can request an engineer for you.  We cannot guarantee which engineer will be assigned.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl,

When things are slow any wired devices connected to router are also slow.

For most of today I've only had three or four connected devices. It may be coincidence but there maybe something up with my mobile (Samsung galaxy s8) being connected to the router. After having problems earlier today I  went on to my mobile and made it forget the wifi connection. Then I re-added the wifi connection details to my mobile. Internet appeared stable for several hours. Then I got massive slowdown and couldn't run speed test checks on any devices (including wired device). Then I disabled the wifi on my mobile so it reverted to 4g. I then ran a speed test check on my laptop and all of a sudden the speed was back.   I'm very confused as to what is going in??