cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet connection in the house drops frequently but this is not shown on the router

66 REPLIES 66
macgd016
Wizz Kid

From time to time (several times a day) the Internet within my house drops for a few seconds to a few minutes.  On wifi connected devices this just manifests itself as web pages that open slowly but on my Windows 10 desktop I can see that the Internet connection has been lost but the router DSL Connection Status shows many days of DSL Uptime.  Because this downtime never lasts very long I do not have the opportunity to check the router lights because my router is in another room.

My router is a HG633 and is connected direct to the BT Test socket, mobile devices are connected by wifi and my desktop is connected by Ethernet.

When I have a connection it is stable and provides a 12ms ping & 30+mbps download and 9+mbps upload.

I have tried re-booting the router but this makes no difference nor does leaving the router switched off for 30 minutes.

The voice line is clear.

This problem has been going on for some considerable time and I have tried to ignore it as reporting a fault by phone just leads to a long and fruitless question and answer process that leads to being told that there is nothing wrong with my line, but it is becoming increasingly irritating.

Is there anything else I can try to resolve this problem?

KeithFrench
Community Star

Can you send me a copy of the HG633's system log that covers one of these outages?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

macgd016
Wizz Kid

Well that was fortuitous, I just happened to be using my desktop at 17:19 today when the Internet disconnected so please see below the log at that time.  As you will see I had to log back in to my router to get the log.

17:19:17 04/05/2019User LevelNoticeUser admin login from 192.168.1.7 successfully.
17:14:50 04/05/2019User LevelDebugAction GetExternalIPAddress execute by UPNP/TR064() Success.
17:14:50 04/05/2019User LevelDebugAction GetExternalIPAddress execute by UPNP/TR064() Success.
17:14:50 04/05/2019User LevelDebugAction AddPortMapping execute by UPNP/TR064() Success.
17:14:50 04/05/2019User LevelDebugAction GetStatusInfo execute by UPNP/TR064() Success.
17:14:50 04/05/2019User LevelDebugAction GetStatusInfo execute by UPNP/TR064() Success.
17:12:33 04/05/2019User LevelNoticeUser admin(192.168.1.7) modify DHCPStaticAddress; DHCPStaticAddress.Enable; DHCPStaticAddress.Chaddr; DHCPStaticAddress.Yiaddr; .
16:50:53 04/05/2019User LevelNoticeUser admin(192.168.1.7) modify DHCPStaticAddress; .
16:49:03 04/05/2019User LevelNoticeUser admin(192.168.1.7) modify DHCPStaticAddress; DHCPStaticAddress.Enable; DHCPStaticAddress.Chaddr; DHCPStaticAddress.Yiaddr; .
KeithFrench
Community Star

There is nothing there to indicate it has gone down at all. I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

macgd016
Wizz Kid
Community Team

Hi macgd016

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line tests have not detected any faults.

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

macgd016
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie

Thanks for your speedy response.

As I've had the house checked out by Open Reach in the past and havent made any changes to it since, a change of Router would seem to be the next logical step to eliminate any possibility of the problem being at my end of the line so thanks for this.

However, I experienced similar problems some time ago before moving to Fiber and the problem only went away after persuading Open Reach to do something (I have no idea what the something was!) at the exchange so I have a suspicion the problem is elsewhere.

Would you be able to send me your latest WIFI Hub as the replacement?

Mac

Community Team

Hi Mac

Thanks for your reply.

I can send a HG633 or DSL3782 router for testing. If you contact our Customer Service Team then they can discuss sending a Wifi Hub.

Thanks

Debbie

macgd016
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie

I have tried to persuade your Customer Services to let me have a WIFI Hub but to do this I would have to endure yet another session of pointless questions with your first line tech team which would drive me bananas so I will take up your kind offer of a replacement router.

As to which router I don't really mind so I will leave that to you.  What I would say is that my current router is located in my integral garage so I would suggest that the router you send should be the one with the very best wifi coverage.  My current HG633 5Mhz coverage is patchy and the 2.4Mhz is just about acceptable on the far side of the house, this was the reason I was hoping you would be able to send me a wifi hub because of its beam forming technology as this might have improved the wifi coverage.

Thanks again for your help

Mac

macgd016
Wizz Kid

Debbie

I'm not sure how much of my account history you can see but it occurs to me that this problem has been with me since I built and moved into my house 5 years ago.

I first reported a very similar problem when I was on copper several times which finally lead to the suggestion that Fibre might resolve the problem which it did for a while.  I also think I may have reported the problem since moving to fibre as well.  If my memory serves me right each time I have reported the problem I have had to go through all the usual first line checks which culminate in a line test that shows no problems exist.  If I persist (and often I give up!) eventually Open Reach are instructed to look at it in the exchange and miraculously the problem is resolved although what was causing the problem is not mentioned.

If you are able to see the history of my fault reports you might find the answer as I will be quite surprised if the problem is being caused by my router.

Mac   

Community Team

Hi Mac

If wired connections are dropping with an alternative router at the test socket then I can raise this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Are you happy for me to send a DSL3782 router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

macgd016
Wizz Kid

That would be fine Debbie, thanks

Community Team

Hi Mac

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

macgd016
Wizz Kid
Hi Debbie

The replacement router is up & running, thank you.

So far so good but its too soon say whether it has sorted the problem. Two things that I have noted:

1. The firmware version is v1.08 which is quite old. Does it need updating?

2. This morning the router stats showed that the DSL uptime was just 6 hours which suggests that the router rebooted in the early hours.

Mac
Community Team

Hi Mac,

I've updated your router to the latest firmware version 

The disconnection appears to be because DLM changed your profile 

Chris

macgd016
Wizz Kid
macgd016
Wizz Kid

Hello again,

Just to let you know that this morning at 10:16h I lost my internet connection again.  This was a typical scenario where opening new internet pages seems to slow down prior to the connection break and the break lasts for just a minute or two before restoring. 

I have checked the routers status and it tells me I have been connected for 1 day 8 hours and counting and the System Log shows no activity since May 12 at 02:11:04

Community Team

Hi macgd016,

There was a profile change in the early hours of yesterday morning which will be the last re-connection

I've checked to see if there were any errors at the time that you lost your internet connection but the data isn't available yet, I can only see back to 7:45 so I'll check again later 

Thanks
Chris

macgd016
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris

I believe that I had another outage at 13:41 yesterday, my desktop did not show a full disconnest but a number of web pages timed out which is usually an indication that they are no longer connected to the Internet.

Mac