cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet connection in the house drops frequently but this is not shown on the router

macgd016
Wizz Kid

At the weekend I disconnected all Ethernet cables from the router 

macgd016
Wizz Kid
So I think we have eliminated the home network.
macgd016
Wizz Kid

Can you please tell me how much of my fault history you are able to see

Community Team

Hi macgd016,

I can't actually see much of the fault history. If you're happy that your home network is OK I'll log this over to our network team for further investigation. Can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates

Thanks
Chris

macgd016
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris

Sounds like a good plan

Mac

Community Team
macgd016
Wizz Kid

Shortly after you passed this to your network team my connection stopped giving me problems, until yesterday that is.

However, I was interested in your suggestion to eliminate the Power Line network by connecting my PC direct to the router with Ethernet and remembered that I have a very long Ethernet cable in my loft so I disconnected the Power Line units and jerry rigged an Ethernet cable directly from my router to my desktop PC and this worked fine. 

Then on the 24th May I found PRTG Network Monitor software and just for interest started to monitor my connection.  As I hadn't had any drop outs since the 21st and the trace I was running looked fine I disconnected the Ethernet cable and reconnected the Power Line network. 

In the attached document shows a trace 23/5 - 31/5, the first trace shows the Ethernet cable connected and a stable network that pings at about 8ms.  This then jumps to 11ms when I reconnect the Power Line network.  At the same time the maximum ping time (is this latency?) also increases but the connection remains stable.

On the 25/5 I decided to see what difference there would be if I moved the router into the house.  You will see a break in the connection whilst I did this and you will also see that the connection was about the same with ping time a bit over 10ms. 

What you cannot see is that the wifi signal within the house is very much improved and as the connection was stable and line speed the same I decided to leave the router in the house.  The disconnection on the 27/5 and the large 'downtime' spike was where I was tidying up some of the cabling.

All was running well until yesterday when I noticed a couple of network breaks and again this morning.  The third trace shows a two day view where you can see that although BT have presumably changed the profile and the ping time is 25ms (Ookla is still showing 36mbps) the network is stable although it is more spiky around 16:00 and 21:00 when I was streaming TV, I assume this is normal.   

BT then changed the profile again in the early hours of the 30/5 and there were some significant outages that day.  The profile then changed again today and from what I can see the router rebooted at around 06:00.  I only looked into this because when I woke at 08:00 I had difficulty downloading the paper onto my tablet so looked at the network and could see there was a problem and checking the speed with Ookla was only getting 3.04mbps.

I'm not really sure what to make of this or what to do next.  Until yesterday I assumed that you network people had made a change somewhere, this is because as I have said before the normal course of events seems to be a very long investigation that shows no problems with the line or in the house, this is then escalated to the network team and although nothing is ever said the connection mysteriously improves for a time before the disconnects reappear. 

I would welcome your advice.  

Community Team

Hi macgd016,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as no dial tone or any noise on the line at the moment?

Thanks

macgd016
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle

Sorry, I thought I had replied to this yesterday but I was out most of the day. 

Looking at the attached trace it seems the fault on the line was fixed arount 18:00 yesterday, however, you will see that the router rebooted again around 08:15 today.

macgd016
Wizz Kid

You may also be interested in the attached logs

macgd016
Wizz Kid
Ooops wrong attachment, sorry
macgd016
Wizz Kid

Ooops wrong attachment, here is the correct one

macgd016
Wizz Kid

And the router seems to have re-booted again at aroung 13:15.  See attached trace and log

Community Team

Hi macgd016,

Thanks for the update, I've passed on the information to our network team. If you don't hear anything later today can you please bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates

Chris

Community Team

Just a quick update. Our network team have logged this over to Openreach as a non-appointed task, we should receive an update within 72 hours so if you don't hear anything beforehand can you bump the thread on Thursday and we'll check for updates

Chris

macgd016
Wizz Kid

An openreach engineer called yesterday and tested the line to the exchange and pridictably there were no errors.

I have been monitoring my connection and see that it dropped out twice between 14:00 & 16:00, see attached trace and log

macgd016
Wizz Kid

One more disconnect for you to look at, this one stopped the TV from streaming

macgd016
Wizz Kid

As you can see from the attached log there continue to be infrequent connection drops

macgd016
Wizz Kid

And again at 07:42.

Do I need to send you any more evidence or is it clear that there is a fault somewhere?

macgd016
Wizz Kid