Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet cutting out every few mins and slow

8 REPLIES 8
danielmichaelsmith
Popular Poster

Hi,

About 2 months ago, I went through this for over a month with my speed going down to 1mps and cutting out. I am on a fibre package and used to get 30mbs reliably. I went through live chat, calls, posts on here and eventually only a formal complaint got the issue resolved - or at least fixed to a level I settled for - even though I was down to about 15mps - I had lost the will to pursue it any further.

However, my service has gradually deteriorated in speed since that time - down to about 7mps which isn't what I'm paying for but the bigger problem is it cuts out every few mins so is virtually unusable.

Any help would be much appreciated

Btw, during the last process all the cabling into and inside my flat was replaced, as was my router. The issue was eventually resolved (although it seems it was more of a botch job) by someone doing something at the exchange. So presumably someone needs to go and hit the thing with a spanner again or whatever they did last time.

I am somewhat at my wit's end with this and would have switched providers long ago if it wasn't for the fact that the only other provide in my area is BT and they own all the kit anyway and it's probably their OpenReach guys who are doing the botched repairs anyway.... when 5G comes I think it's bye bye broadband.

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Daniel

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault. Is your landline service working ok when making calls? (any noise)

Is the router currently at the test socket? I can then pass this over to Openreach for further investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

danielmichaelsmith
Popular Poster

Hi,

Landline works but sometimes have some crackling on the line. I don't have a test socket.

Thanks 

Dan

OCE_Debbie

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply.

How often is the noise present? Have you tested with a corded phone at the master socket, with all other equipment removed from the line including the router? Is the noise still present in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

danielmichaelsmith
Popular Poster

Hi. I don't have a corded phone. When I unplugged the router from the socket, it made no noticeable difference.

The issue was at the exchange before so it seems likely to be the same problem

Thanks

Dan

OCE_Chris

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the information. Are you able to test your phone on someone else's line, just to confirm that it's working OK?

Chris

danielmichaelsmith
Popular Poster

Hi.

I'm not able to do that, no. 

The issue is with my broadband, not my phone. I rarely use the phone anyway. 

By the way, my fridge is working fine. As is my washing machine. 

This is getting me nowhere so I've raised a formal complaint. Hopefully that will eventually get my issue looked at. It's the only thing that got me any results last time I had this issue. 

This forum is a waste of time 

OCE_Chris

Hi Dan,

I appreciate that you may not use your phone much but a problem with telephone service can often does affect the broadband service so we need to gather as much information as we can about the issue before escalating

I've raised this to Openreach as a non-appointed task. We should receive an update within 72 hours so if you don't hear anything beforehand can you bump the thread on Monday and we'll check for updates 

Thanks

Chris

OCE_Chris

Hi Dan,

Looks as though this is going to need an engineer visit. If you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've sent a PM to confirm some other details 

Thanks

Chris