Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet disconnects sporadically, Hub says it's connected

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Team Player

I am seeing a problem where every few days my devices say that they have no internet. On logging on to the hub (FAST 5364) the dashboard shows that the internet is connected with good speeds, same when I click on advanced settings. Sometimes the connection returns on its own, or if I cannot wait I reboot the router and all then works fine again. The Service Centre reports that all is good.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Team Player

Lasted about 3 hours and again disconnected. I will only see the disconnect if I am online at the time so it looks like it is disconnecting more regularly.  I had to reboot router to get a connection back. Once again the router was showing connected but my (wireless) devices showing connected - no internet.

Highlighted
Community Star

How are you connecting to the router, via wireless and or a wired (Ethernet connection)? If you have both does this problem affect everything or just the wireless ones?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Keith,

It seems to be affecting wired and wireless devices. I normally notice the problem when connected by wireless device but earlier today I checked the TV which is wired and that was disconnected. I have also had issues when streaming music to my TV from my NAS both of which are wired, This manifests itself with the music dropping out and the NAS disappearing from the TV. I'm suspecting a hub problem.

Brian

Highlighted
Community Star

I'll ask the TalkTalk OCEs to investigate this for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Team Player

Many thanks for your help Keith.

Brian

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Brian

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your response. Please go ahead and send out a replacement router to try.

The problem has just occurred again and I had to reboot the hub to regain a connection. According to the hub it was still connected.

Your help is appreciated.

Best regards

Brian

Highlighted

Hi Brian

Thanks for your reply.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks Debbie,

I will update on how the new router performs.

Best regards

Brian

Highlighted
Highlighted
Team Player

Sometimes it happens to me as well. In some cases the line it's really connected but something on the DSLAM doesn't work so there is only a carrier but no data. This thing happens no matter what, even in other countries and with other companies.

To solve the problem once and for all, no matter which router, I've built a watchdog with a mini-pc atom fanless (30 £ on ebay) + a bare Debian + a USB relay + script bash home made, and if the script can't ping google/yahoo, it powers off the router, waits 2 minutes and powers on again.

This way it's impossibile the router get stuck. 🙂

Highlighted
Team Player
PS: in some cases is the hardware of the router that get stuck and doesn't even reply to ping on the ehternet. The watchdog solves that problem too. 🙂
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi  _rik_ , Thanks for taking the time to respond. If I understand what you are saying the problem is external to the premises, and you have built an automatic way of rebooting the router when the problem occurs. TT are sending me another router to try and see if that helps.

Cheers

Brian

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Brian,

yes, at times is external to the premises, other times is the router itself that get stuck... and I really mean stuck because the router processor stop working and the router stops even reponding to a ping via ethernet. It has happend to me just few minutes ago (15:40). Surely it's not the hot temperature. 🙂

My external watchdog is the brute approch to solve the problem. 🙂

I'll follow your case to see if a new router solve the problem...

See ya!

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I think I have same problem. After 1.5 years of reliable fibre broadband, in the last few days the internet keeps dropping out on both wired and wifi.  If I leave it is stays off. If I reset the router it returns.  It has happened twice today already.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi _rik_,

I'm hoping it's a router problem and I wonder if there is some deterioration going on as these run quite hot. I saw the problem once yesterday and twice the day before but I know the connection sometimes comes back without a reboot so it could be happening more frequently. Not seen any problems today so far!

I'll update the post whichever way it goes once the new router arrives.

Cheers

Brian

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi ptalk,

I'm hoping it's a router problem causing this, the last 3 times I've had to reboot to get the internet back but I'm sure that sometimes it has come back on its own. I'll update the post once I've tried the new router that Michelle is sending me.

Cheers

Brian

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @ptalk 

If you want help, you cannot use someone else's thread.

To get help, you must start your own thread. To create your own thread, go to the main page for the board in question & click the "Start a topic" button.

TalkTalk insists on one thread per problem per customer. Please note, TalkTalk makes the rules, not me.

Thanks.

Keith

Highlighted

Hi Brian

Have you received the replacement router?

Thanks

Debbie