Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet failure.

13 REPLIES 13
Bob-wood
Conversation Starter

Since 5/12 I have suffered almost daily internet loss. These usually last for an hour or more with constant reconnections and drops. The telephone line during these. periods has considerable noise on it making it unusable.

I do constant Iive line checks and am usually told that a fault has been detected on the line.

I have fibre 150.

is there anything I can do or is this a TT line problem

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Bob-wood

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line test has detected a loop fault and this fault can often be caused by internal wiring or equipment connected to the line.

Is the noise on the line still present if you test with a corded handset at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie

Bob-wood
Conversation Starter

Thank you for responding.

Just to clarify, your say it is possible that my cordless telephone could be causing the problem? Unfortunately I don’t have a corded phone to try what you suggest, but if/ when this happens again (it’s been ok for 24 hrs now) I disconnect the phone and switch it off, that could clear the problem and prove it’s the phone that’s causing it? There is no noise on the phone while I am connected to the internet, only when I’m disconnected.

Further to above, I lost internet again this morning. I unplugged and removed the cordless phone, but it made no difference.
I did several line connection tests, and generally was told I had a good connection, while I was looking at the modem lights telling me I had no Internet connection. Eventually the router light went to red and a line  test showed a problem.
I performed resets on modem and router (switched off for 30 mins) and upon restart got a connection which lasted about half an hour.
Have had several connects and disconnects since. I currently have a connection, BUT am now unable to access my subscription TV channels. I have reset the Youview box without success.
This is list of my observations
The internet failure normally starts at about the same time every day 8/9 o’clock.
The modem power light remains on, the DSL light flashes intermittently, the Internet light is off, the LAN light flashes as normal. 
The router light remains white.
Occasionally  the DSL light remains on and a brief Internet connection is made. Then it all starts again.
This usually carries on throughout the morning but resolves itself, without me doing anything, and remains connected during the evening.
This is the first time I have lost TV channels.
I have performed several “speed tests” which I appreciate are not reliable, but whereas I used to get readings of 140mb regularly this has dropped to below 100 today.
This has been going on now for 10 days, its not every day but when it does go wrong we are having heavy rainfall????
Any more suggestions?
OCE_Michelle

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear this. I will take another look now. I've re-run the line test now which is clear and the connection now looks stable for 72hrs. Has anything changed since your last post?

Thanks

Bob-wood
Conversation Starter

Thanks for looking in to this for me.

You are correct, the connection has been stable for a while now. I have changed nothing at my end.I only have a few observations:

Firstly my speed readings are still well down (about a third less than usual, below 100mb) although when I do a line test it tells me delivery is about 160mb.

When I do a line test I am told there is a problem, but the test performed by TT says everything is OK and I should check my set up.

It hasn’t rained heavily for the last three days. I understand that water is also a cause of loop faults?

Thank you

OCE_Michelle

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the update. If the connection does become unstable again when it rains then please let us know as the next step would be to raise this to Openreach. In regards to the speed, is there any improvement if you power down the router for a full 30 minutes as this will reset the current session.

Thanks

Bob-wood
Conversation Starter

Well I thought I had got over this but....

After the last incidents I was so fed up I just left it alone for a few days, suffered the disconnects which were getting fewer and put up with the slow speeds.

As far as TT were concerned the problem was with me. I took NO action at home and, hey presto, it suddenly fixed itself. Disconnects stopped and speed was back up to 140+mb. The Internet fairies had fixed it.

Fast forward to this weekend. Suddenly the disconnects are back. Line test to TT says no problems their end must be me. TT claims to be sending 160mb. My reading is now down  to 26mb (acknowledged by TT). Get the usual advice, is it plugged in? reset the router (which doesn’t disconnect anyway, only the modem) etc etc. No change. The phone is unusable due to noise on the line and the modem just keeps trying to reconnect. Intermittently it will and we have internet for a while. Maybe it will fix itself again in a few days? Unless anyone has a direct line to the Internet Fairies.

Just had to post this via mobile data as my Internet was down!,,!

SocialTeamBecky

Hi Bob-wood,

I'm really sorry to hear that the connection drops have started happening for you again, I've run another test on your line and unfortunately the loop fault is now showing again. Would you be able to let me know which type of socket you have, please? Please take a look here

Thanks,

Becky

Bob-wood
Conversation Starter

In mistakenly sent my reply via email, hence the delay in replying.

Becky

Thank you for the response.
I managed to get reconnected on Monday afternoon and it’s stayed stable since. 
My socket doesn’t match exactly any of the pictures, but it says on it 5c and gfast.
I have just done a download speed check and its returning 120ish, a bit down on what I used to get, but a lot more than the weekend. The noise on the phone line (crackling) has largely gone.
I have been looking at the cable which comes into the house for any breaks etc, and noticed it appears to originate from my next door neighbours property. Is that normal?
Could the interference be coming from their property?

OCE_Debbie

Hi Bob-wood

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to post a photo of your master socket and router set up on this thread?

Has the connection remained stable since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

Bob-wood
Conversation Starter

Debbie,

My connection has been stable since the last outage. What I have a problem with is how can it be so bad one day, I take no actions, and it suddenly works again?

OCE_Chris

Hi Bob-wood,

Thanks for the photo. Are you able to connect the modem and router directly to an electrical wall socket rather than connecting via the electrical extension lead, to rule out any potential interference from extension socket or other devices connected to it?

Chris

Bob-wood
Conversation Starter

There is no possible way of connecting all the devices required directly to wall sockets. There are just too many.

My connection has been stable until the last few days, but I am now back to daily disconnects. Live line check reveals there is a problem which is apparently in my home. I have done nothing to my set up. Speed check today shows about half of normal speeds up and down. Yesterday I reset router and modem (30 mins off) and connection stayed up until today. It’s been down several times today, but has stayed up so far since TT did the line test.

Bob-wood
Conversation Starter

I had hoped we had put this to bed. Sadly not.

After our last exchange, I replaced the extension system for a new surge protected set. No good. I removed the phone completely and that seemed to fix the problem, so I bought a new one and I had a period of stability. Still occasional drops, but not so bad although speed was not great.

Last week was great until 24th. No drops and speed back to 140+. Then it all went wrong again. From 24th onwards I have had continuous drops. This morning while it was connected I recorded download speed of 26mb! Nearly the same as the upload speed. I turned it all off and left it for 2 hours. Restarted it and had instant reconnect with speed of 140. That lasted 2 hours and it is currently down again.

So, I have replaced the phone, extension lead, phone splitter, even the lamp that was on the same  table and I still have the problem. TT line test tells me there is a problem, but it is at my end?

What more can I do??? 
How much would it cost to get it checked out by an engineer? That’s how desperate I am. I have already spent close to £100 trying to fix it from my end, not including extra mobile data I have to buy and a TV package I’m paying for but can’t use.

OCE please help.