Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet is completely unusable

ANSWERED
55 REPLIES 55
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hello, Recently I've Noticed Problems with my Internet, TV was buffering time to time, My Parents also complained why Internet buffering so often, Although I didn't felt it on my Computer, Few Days ago TV Started Giving Network Error every one to two hours but again I wasn't feeling it on Computer, Then I decided to do Speed Test, Near TV it was showing 21 MB, Next to Router it was 43 MB, and Computer Showed 69 MB, I thought Maybe it's just weak signal to TV, but Today, TV is litterally unplayable, It's buffering every 1-2 Seconds, I did a Speed Test near TV it showed as 0.17 MB, I did Speed Test next to Router, It showed as 0.26 MB, and I did speed Test on Computer it showed as 0.34 MB, What is going on? My Promised Internet Speeds supposed to be 55 MB - 78 MB, I have Fibre Internet, Today I can't even Load anything on Computer Nor Watch anything on TV, I had to Write This message from a Phone Because nothing Loads, Internet is Completely unusable, I tried Restarting Modem, I tried doing Reset, I tried following steps on what to do that I found on TalkTalk Website, Nothing helped, it seems Problem is not on my End, Unless something is wrong with modem?

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8333876566 = This test is from Computer with ethernet cable connected.

Router: Huawei HG633

Hardware Version:H.1.0.1

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi xZajaC

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line tests are not detecting any faults and the connection looks stable and speed is ok.

Are any devices connected wired experiencing this issue?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

All devices connected Via cable and Wifi are experiancing the problem.

Highlighted

Hi xZajaC,

Thanks for the additional information. Could I just confirm, if you reboot the router does the speed then increase again?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Good Morning,

Today after restarting modem, my computer speeds went back to what it should be, (Computer is connected directly via Ethernet cable to modem) 

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8336272963

But WiFi seems to be still pretty low, Thank god not as low as yesterday was, but still quite low to what it should be.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/5027747126 (This speed test is my WiFi, Test was done next to the router) 

How can I improve my WiFi?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi xZajaC

Thanks for your reply.

Have you also tested different wireless channels to see how the connection compares?

Change your wireless channel

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I'll Test different channels in a Minute, it seems after hard reset they disappeared from WiFi List, will need to re-enable. Also  to add extra information to my Previous post, I noticed that WiFi Seems to have High "Jitter" Reaching up to 38ms.

Highlighted

Hi xZajaC

@KeithFrench provides really good advice on improving wireless performance. Could you help please Keith?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

It seems Router interface changed alot since the last time I was in Router, Before I was able to set up If I wanted to connect to 2.4GHz or 5GHz, but now it seems to be automatic, What exactly should I change in this list? and should I do it for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz

1.png

EDIT: After Playing around with it, My WiFi is now at 66.96 Mbps and Jitter dropped down to 20ms, Jitter is still quite high, but I see Improvement. (Had to Disable 2,4GHz Completely Leaving only 5 GHz)

https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/5027861528 - Done Via WiFi

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8336404659Done on Computer

WiFi and Cable are almost the same speeds now. Thank you very much.

Also I noticed there's options like (5 GHz AirTime Fairness or Band Steering) What do they exactly do ? would enabling them improve anything?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @xZajaC 

@OCE_Debbie has asked me to help you with your wireless issues, but it would seem that they are OK now. If that is not the case please let me know.

To address your two questions in your last post:-

Airtime Fairness

This is a feature that can boost the overall network performance for your fastest devices by sacrificing a little bit of network time on the slowest devices. However, this can never help a device that is slowed down because of long physical distance, weak signal strength, congested Wi-Fi band or simply being a legacy device using older technology.

If in a home environment there can be a mixture of devices operating in both bands, but particularly in the 2.4GHz band. In this band you could easily get 802.11g devices sharing it with 802.11n devices & you could occasionally get even 802.11b ones as well. This will reduce the throughput of the “n” devices.

Slow devices take relatively longer times to transmit and receive data compared to faster and newer devices. This gives less time to faster devices and disproportionately longer times to slow transmitting devices. A similar effect is also seen when a device is farther away from an AP or domestic router, relative to other clients.

It could therefore be desirable to reduce the time given to legacy & distant devices to allow faster devices download data for longer times. This can significantly increase overall capacity of the network. This is why Airtime Fairness was introduced.

Airtime Fairness gives equal amounts of air time (instead of equal number of data frames) to each client regardless of its theoretical data rate. This will ensure higher download speed to latest devices when slower devices are connected to the same AP.

When used in conjunction with Band steering, Airtime Fairness will really help with the speeds since most of the latest clients are dual-band enabled. Obviously this is only true when a mixture Wi-Fi mode devices share a band.

Band Steering

The idea behind band steering is to improve upon limitations when the AP is in mixed mode. Throughput of 802.11n devices can be affected when 802.11b or g devices connect to the 2.4GHz band. Where this option can help is to move all 5GHz capable 802.11n devices to the 5Ghz band. This leaves the 2.4GHz band for 802.11b, g and single band 802.11n devices. This helps improve end user experience by reducing channel utilisation, especially in high density environments.

For this to work though the normal recommendation of naming each of the two bands differently must not be utilised. Both bands must have the same SSID (network name), security type & passphrase (wireless password).

This does not require devices to have to support this feature before it can work. When the AP receives a connection request from a client to connect on either the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands, it knows the client is capable of operation in 5 GHz. It steers the client by responding only to the 5 GHz Connection request and not the 2.4 GHz request. The client then establishes the connection to the 5 GHz band. If the device has already connected to the 2.4GHz band, it will be moved over to the 5GHz one.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I think I got too happy too soon, WiFi Seems to be very unstable and Jitter Rising up and down, Now "Jitter" is at 184 ms

Screenshot_2019-06-14-10-53-59.png

Highlighted
Community Star

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

The HG633 is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. This is available on the HG633 (V2.00), to enable it, first set both SSIDs to the exact same name. Then go to:-

Home Network > Wireless Settings > Enable Wireless Network Frequency Bands

Then put a tick against Enable Band steering.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have one Wired Connection and that is my Computer, Speed Test appears to be normal but Internet is Not loading Discord at all, Keeps buffering forever, Netflix is buffering every few minutes, My In-Game Ping is over 500 Ms, The Game server is Located in Frankfurt, Germany -  (Normally I have 50-70 ms) , Jiterring is now at 672 Ms... Which is extremely abnormal.

I've Tested the methods you provided, it did not help, 5GHz and 2.4GHz, Band Steering and other settings I played around, all were showing the same results, the first time I done it, I saw improvement, but now it's keeps going lower and lower in Speeds.

Screenshot_2019-06-14-11-03-54.png

Lights on my Modem are

Power - Steady Lights
Broadband - Steady Lights
Internet - Blinking Lights
Wireless - Blinking Lights
Ethernet - Blinking Lights

The Longer my Modem is on the lower speed tests are getting, Restarting Modem WiFi Speeds goes back to Normal, But Keeps Reducing over time.

EDIT: This Image is After Restarting Modem, Download Speeds goes back to Normal, but Jittering is still extremely high.

Screenshot_2019-06-14-12-07-49.png

Highlighted
Community Star

In my last post, I did say that it fixed nothing, but that I could help you a lot with the WiFi if you wanted it.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
I appreciate the help, all help is appreciated in improving my situation.
Highlighted
Community Star

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

1.png

When I try to run Acrylic Wi-Fi Home, I get this Error.

- Try Reloading the list of WiFi interfaces from the main menu

- Check Whether Wireless Interfaces are Plugged, Enabled and Air plane mode disabled

• What does that mean? My Computer Does not have Wireless Adaptor when I custom built my PC from Scratch I did not included Adaptor as I never thought it would be necessary to have it - Unless I understand it wrong and that's not what it's asking me.

- Check if the WlanSVC Service is Running

• This Service is Running on My Computer.

EDIT: I also Tried the Program you recommended but requires you to pay (InSSiDer 4 - They have 30-Day Premium Trial), But again This Error Gives a clear answer to what I thought was wrong, No Wi-Fi Adapter in Computer. I use this Computer Wired to Modem, I don't have any other Devices such as laptops to test it on. Is there programs that can be tested on phone?

EDIT: Oh and After Uploading this Image I just noticed that my WlanSvC was stopped, I Enabled it, but same Error, I thought I'll mention it just in case.

No Wi-Fi Adapter.png

Highlighted
Community Star

You cannot run a WiFi analyser on a device that does not have a WiFi connection.

I have not recommended you use inSSIDer, as it is no longer available in a free version, please note the past tense I used in my guide:-

I used to recommend "inSSIDer Home"

However, to save any confusion, I will remove all reference to that in the future.

You need to refer to the section in my guide that deals with other WiFi analysers to get one that will run on one of your WiFi devices.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

EDITED:

Test 1 (Before Router Restart)

A More In-Depth Test I did, It was done next to router, Modem and Device were touching.

Ping (Latency) - 15 Ms
Download - 37,20 Mbps (Stability 79% - Transmitted Data 43.47 MB)
Upload - 19.55 Mbps (Stability 82% - Transmitted Data 23.91 MB)
Provider - TalkTalk
WiFi Name(SSID) - Kelbim
BSSID - 50:a7:2b:01:9f:50
Internal IP - 192.168.1.2
Signal Strenght - -57dBm / 63%
Encryption - WPA_PSK
Link Speed - 263 Mbps
Router Speed - 0.00 Mbps
Router Ping - 452 Ms
Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1
DNS - 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.1
DHCP Lease - 24h
WiFi Band - 5 GHz
WiFi Frequency - 5200 Mhz
WiFi Channel - 40

Test 2 (After Router Restart)

Ping (Latency) - 14 Ms
Download - 71.35 Mbps (Stability 91% - Transmitted Data 80.93 MB)
Upload - 19.73 MBps (Stability 97% - Transmitted Data 24.11 MB)
Provider - TalkTalk
WiFi Name (SSID) - Kelbim
BSSID - 50:a7:2b:01:9f:50
Internal IP - 192.168.1.2
Signal Strenght - -54dBm / 68%
Encryption - WPA_PSK
Link Speed - 390 Mbps
Router Speed - 0.00 Mbps
Router Ping - 1 Ms
Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1
DNS - 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
DHCP Lease - 24h
WiFi Band - 5 GHz
WiFi Frequency - 5240 Mhz
WiFi Channel - 48

I did some other Tests maybe it's of any use?

Thank you for your help, I will check your Guide again later today, because I have to leave house right now.

Highlighted
Community Star

Never use a WiFi device right next to the router, this will overload both the router & device corrupting the signal.

I cannot help you anymore until you can get me screenshots from the analyser of your choice.

Keith