Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet light red.

18 REPLIES
Jamesdoolin
First Timer

Good evening all. I have a d link dsl 3782 talk talk router. I have been with talk talk for about 7 months with no problems. 

This is last week or so the lights flash and the internet light goes off and then eventually comes back red. I am getting very frustrated with this as I’m having to use 4g on my phone to tether my laptop. 

I have reset but and I have looked at the talk talk helpdeak which says everything is ok. It’s clearly not. 

May at I ask for some advice as I have no faith in it working consistently. 

Many thanks in advance

James 

James Doolin
KeithFrench
Community Star

When the internet light is red on the router, (or the status light is amber on the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub) the connection to the exchange equipment (or fibre cabinet if fibre) is normally OK, but there is a virtual path that needs to exist from this equipment to the internet. It is this virtual path that is down. This can be caused generally by:-

1. Authentication issues
  2. Network issues
  3. IP filter issues
  4. An unusual line fault that does not affect basic connection.
  5. Router configuration issue or faulty router

The best way to resolve this is for me to pass this to one of TalkTalk's OCEs to investigate the condition for you now.

The forum is not real time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use on-line chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

Please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Jamesdoolin
First Timer

Thank you Keith. 

I will try and update my profile with my phone number. 

Its so so frustrating as it was working perfectly til very recently. 

Best wishes

James 

James Doolin
Community Team

Hi James,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault.

Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone? Does your master socket also have a test socket?

Thanks

Jamesdoolin
First Timer

Hi Michelle

i don’t use talk talk for phone. Just my mobile. 

I am am not sure if I’m plugged into my master socket. I will check. 

What sort of fault have have you discovered?

kind regards

James 

James Doolin
Community Team

Hi James,

Do you have a handset that you can test with to rule this out? A voice fault can affect the broadband connection and would need to be investigated first.

Thanks

Jamesdoolin
First Timer

Hi Michelle

i have a cordless phone that I have connected this morning. 

The light on on the hub is still red. 

Is is it an easy fault to fix. 

Many thanks 

James. 

James Doolin
Community Team

Hi

When connecting the phone, was there a dial tone with no noise or crackling on the line ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Make Broadband Better - Join The Sam Knows Trial

Jamesdoolin
First Timer

Hi Karl

thank you for the quick response. 

I just tested it by phoning my mobile. 

It it was so crackly. It had a dial tone and my mobile rang but the crackles were evident. 

I hope this helps. 

BW

James 

James Doolin
Community Team

Hi

The broadband and phone share part of the line so if there is a crackle on the line this will impact the broadband causing slow speeds and dropping connections.

This is not actually a broadband fault but a line fault so now that this has been identified we can progress for a line engineer.

BT Openreach will always issue blanket conditions for any fault we report.

I'll send you a pm with the info required to arrange an engineer.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Jamesdoolin
First Timer

Hi Karl. 

I have PMd you. 

Also noted a very very drastic reduction in BB speed. 

Related?

bw

James 

James Doolin
Community Team

Hi

I've logged this out for a Non Appointed engineer - Non appointed means the engineer will be dispatched to look at the line without requiring an appointment be made with you to visit your property.  

If Openreach ask for an appointment I'll book this in and let you know.

Thanks

Karl. 

Jamesdoolin
First Timer
Thank you very much for your ongoing support
James Doolin
Community Team

Hi Jamesdoolin

Please can you post back on this thread later today and we can check for further updates on this fault.

Thanks

Debbie

Jamesdoolin
First Timer

Hi Debbie

your colleague has arranged for an engineer to check my line externally. I don’t know if I will know if that has happened?

however my BB is very slow at 4mbs. It should be way faster. I have used talk talk checker and it says all ok. 

Is is it related to my line issue. 

Many thanks

James 

James Doolin
Community Team

Hi James

I've requested an update on this fault from our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi James

Our Network Team have advised that this fault is still under investigation with a BT Openreach line engineer. We should receive further updates within the next 24hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

Jamesdoolin
First Timer

Many thanks

James 

James Doolin
Community Team

Hi James

Please can you post back on this thread tomorrow and I can chase for further updates.

Thanks

Debbie