would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet light red.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Spaceman99
Participant

Red internet light on on my router this morning. I'm using an Openreach modem and HG533 router. Has been fine for several years. Tried with an HG633 router that I have too, same problem.

I was on chat 4 times today. After doing the switch off for 30 mins and line tests the advisors insist it is a router fault. I can't see how it can be as that would mean that the openreach modem and hg533 setup is faulty AND the HG633 modem router is also faulty. I would have thought this is very unlikely.

Last advisor insisted on sending me yet another router.... I explained that as I had tried 2 different modems/routers today they couldn't both be faulty or at the very least this was very unlikely.

Could an OCE please advise? I suspect it is a BT exchange issue,but I don't know how to escalate the fault report. We need internet to work from home so would appreciate any help!

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

If you can advise whether or not there are any issues on the voice side and when connected at the test socket if you have one, then that will help the OCE to help you.

Highlighted
Spaceman99
Participant

No voice issues. Using the test socket.

Broadband light solid green when  trying to connect using HG633.

DSL light solid when trying to connect with the Openreach router and hg533.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Spaceman99,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Just to confirm, are you still unable to connect at the moment?

Thanks

Highlighted
Spaceman99
Participant

Hi Michelle 

It's still not working. Internet light still red despite turning on and off. Same with both router/modems that I've tried.

Anything else you can do to help as no service for 2 days now?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Spaceman99

I'm sorry to hear this.

Just to confirm, is the router currently connected at the test socket? When you tested with a different router did you also change the cables and microfilter?

I can then raise this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Spaceman99
Participant

Hi Debbie,

Have been using the test socket in the Openreach filtered faceplate as fitted when fibre was installed several years ago.

I've tried with 2 different setups over the last 3 days:

1. Openreach fibre modem and HG533 - the modem DSL light is green so I presume this means its syncing OK with the green street cabinet and line is OK. The red internet light on the router is on and there is no internet.

2. HG633 fibre router - Broadband light is green so I presume again that this means its syncing OK with the green street cabinet and my line is OK. The red internet light on the router is on and there is no internet.

I've used 2 different cables to connect the modem and router to my test socket.

This is day 3 with no internet and it's obviously not the physical line as this has been tested by Talktalk advisors. As I've tried 2 router/modem combinations, both of which worked previously, I can't see how it can be the modem.

Unfortunately I found the online advisors very unhelpful when I contacted them by chat 4 times on Sunday - the first one advised me to wait 3 hours and it would be fixed, the 2nd advised me to turn the router off for 30 mins, the 3rd advisor just disconnected half way through the  conversation, and the 4th advisor insisted that it was a faulty modem, despite me indicating that I had tried 2 different modem/routers, neither of which worked.

Thank you to you and Michelle for your quick responses. Can you please escalate to your network team urgently for us please, as my wife needs the connection to work from home? As above, this is the 3rd day with no service.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Spaceman99 

Thanks for the additional information.

I've escalated this fault over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Spaceman99 

Our Network Team have advised that they can see that another router has been sent for testing. All line tests are clear and not detecting any issues.

If this fault is still present with the new router then the next step will be to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Spaceman99
Participant

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The router hasn't arrived yet but the connection seems to have been fixed now as its fine again. I've just found out that a neighbour connected to the same Openreach street cabinet also had problems over the last few days so looks like it was a network problem and not my router or modem.

Thanks again for your help and please close the fault report for me.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Spaceman99,

Ok thanks for the update. Would you prefer to monitor the connection for a few days just to ensure that the fault has been fully resolved before we close the fault ticket?

Thanks

Highlighted
Spaceman99
Participant

Hi Michelle,

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it for the next week and will confirm back here if all ok.

Highlighted
Community Team
Highlighted
Spaceman99
Participant

Hi,

All OK now so please close the fault report.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Spaceman99

Thanks for keeping us updated. I have requested that this fault is now closed.

Debbie