Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet slow and dropping out

18 REPLIES 18
pfreckelton
Popular Poster

Hi, hoping someone might be able to take a look at my line. My internet connection is quite a lot slower than it should be and it drops out numerous times per day. When it drops out, the broadband light on the router stays green, but the internet light goes red (Talktalk D-Link DSL 3782). It normally stays off for a few minutes then comes back on. I currently have a script running ping tests every 5 seconds, with a tracert if the ping fails, which is all being saved to a log file. I can provide this log file if needed. I have also just started a speed test to run automatically every 5 minutes for the next few hours, so can provide these results if required, but it is currently showing an average of 6.2Mbps down and 4.9Mbps up.

KeithFrench
Community Star

When the internet light is red on the router, (or the status light is amber on the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub) the connection to the exchange equipment (or fibre cabinet if fibre) is normally OK, but there is a virtual path that needs to exist from this equipment to the internet. It is this virtual path that is down. This can be caused generally by:-

1. Authentication issues
  2. Network issues
  3. IP filter issues
  4. An unusual line fault that does not affect basic connection.
  5. Router configuration issue or faulty router

The best way to resolve this is for me to pass this to one of TalkTalk's OCEs to investigate the condition for you now.

The forum is not real time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use on-line chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

Please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi pfreckelton

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see the re connections on the line and the speed is low.

I think we should send a HG633 router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

pfreckelton
Popular Poster

@OCE_Debbie Hi, yes, if you could please arrange to send it out, I am happy to try it.

Regards,

Pete

Community Team

Hi Pete

The HG633 router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

pfreckelton
Popular Poster

@OCE_Debbie Hi Debbie, the router arrived on Tuesday, many thanks. I swapped it over on Tuesday evening and so far, I haven't noticed it dropping out, but the speed is still very slow. Upload speed seems ok at around 7Mbps, but download speed is around 4 - 5Mbps, measured on a wired connection.

Regards,

Pete

Community Team

Hi Pete

Thanks for keeping us updated.

If the connection remains stable then the speed should start to increase. Please can you leave the router connected at the test socket for 48hrs without rebooting the router, we can then check to see if the sync speed starts to increase.

Thanks

Debbie

pfreckelton
Popular Poster

@OCE_Debbie Hi Debbie, I have left the router on all weekend and I have not noticed it dropping connection, but the speed has not increased at all. Please see screenshot taken from the router this morning.

router.png

Community Team

Hi Pete

I've checked and I can see that the sync speed hasn't increased. apologies for this.

Is the router still connected at the test socket? I can then escalate this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

pfreckelton
Popular Poster

@OCE_Debbie Hi Debbie,

Yes, the router is still connected at the test socket.

Regards,

Pete

Community Team

Hi Pete

Thanks for your reply.

I've escalated this fault over to our Network Team for investigation and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Pete

The next step will be to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Pete

Thanks for the Private Message.

I have passed your availability for an engineer visit over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread to confirm the date and time of this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Pete

The engineer visit has been arranged for 19/06/2019 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

pfreckelton
Popular Poster

@OCE_Debbie Hi Debbie,

Many thanks for your help. I will let you know how it goes.

Pete

Community Team
Community Team

Hi Pete

How are you getting on following the engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

pfreckelton
Popular Poster

@OCE_Debbie  Hi Debbie,

Apologies for the delay. The engineer came and said he needed to reset some things on the line. He did this and so far all seems good. Download speed is back to between 25Mbps and 30Mbps.

Many thanks for all your help.

Pete

Community Team

Hi

Glad to hear the engineer has been able to help.

Regards,

Karl.