cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet slow in the evening 7pm - 11pm

27 REPLIES 27
Participant

Internet is very slow between 7pm till about 111pm. I know the problem is lockdown and people working from home have saturated the LLU and thr contention ratio is too high. To fix this talktalk will need to buy more bandwidth from BT as they are using BT tail. Not sure of talktalk will do that cause everything I raise the issue they just run a copper test and tell me sync speed it fine 80/20. Can someone advise how I can report this and get the saturation issue sorted in the evenings ?

Technical Service Delivery Engineer.
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi bonbonizer,

I'm sorry for the delay. I can see that planned engineering work has recently been completed. Are you still experiencing slow speeds of an evening over the last 24hrs? I've also run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault.

Are you connected wired or wireless when the speeds drop during this time? Could you run some wired speed tests at different times of the day using the TalkTalk Speed Tester so we can see your recent speed test results please.

Thanks

Participant

Hello @OCE_Michelle , 

There is no line fault as the speeds are fine during the day. I am not using wifi.

the issue mainly happens between 7pm till around 11pm and its worse Friday, Saturday and Sunday night.

I will run speeds tests as you have requested in the problem window and confirm if the saturation issue has cleared.

Thank you for your response

Hi bonbonizer,

Ok thank you and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks 🙂

Participant

Hello @OCE_Michelle

I have attached the speed tests I was not able to run the test when the speed was worst but this should give you an idea. I will run a few more speed tests tonight and over the weekend as well.

When I run the test I disconnect everything from the router ethernet and wifi and only have one device plugged in to run the test.

Thank you

Hi bonbonizer,

I'm sorry to hear that there has been no improvement. Could you also run a wired ping and trace route when the speeds are good and also when the speed drops and post the results into the thread and we can ask our Network Team to take a look at this for you.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

Participant

Hello @OCE_Michelle 

As requested I am attached traceroutes, Pings and speed tests carried out at issue times and non issue periods attached as a .docx.

All tests were run with a single device plugged into the router via ethernet cable. Wifi was disabled during the tests.

Thank you

Hi bonbonizer,

Thank you. I've passed this over to our Network Team now for further investigation and I'll let you know as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks

Team Player

I have exactly the same issue, prepare to be fobbed off.

Hi nisaoirse,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own topic and we'd be happy to take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Team Player

I already have and I'm waiting for you to look at it...

Participant

Hello mate, 

My previous supplier did the same just kept fobbing me off. Here is hopping talktalk dont do that if they do then just have to be persistent 😉 there is always ofcom who are always helpful with loads of advise on what rights you have. 

Team Player

It's amazing how so many company's have bent over backwards to help people working from home during lockdown(s) but talktalk have bent us over instead!

Hi nisaoirse,

Apologies, I've just picked up your topic and will take a look at this shortly.

Thanks

Hi nisaoirse,

I've just posted on your topic now.

Thanks

Participant

Hello @OCE_Michelle,

I have just carried out the tests as its Friday night and the speeds are 12mb download.

Still suffering poor download speeds. I wonder when talktalk will actually realise what the issue is I am clearly giving all the information its not rocket science

so as its the weekend more people are using the internet in my area therefore not enough bandwidth. I am attached the speedtests and trace routes could you please add this to my fault case.

Thank you 

Chatterbox

Hello Michelle, 

I'm experiencing a similar thing over the last week, my broadband speed deteriorates every evening with signal completely dropping out at times. 

I've not been able to watch anything on Netflix properly and when trying to watch anything on Amazon Prime a message comes up saying "Low Bandwidth, check and reset your router". And this is not even 4K content that i'm trying to stream. 

The connection to my TV's are hardwired to the router using Ethernet cables and the home network has not been altered. 

The speed test has shown a speed of 14Mbs, but then the connection completely drops out- this actually my second attempt to post this message as the internet failed me again when trying to post the first!

This is all very frustrating as i'm apparently paying for a Faster Fibre connection / package and yet I am even struggling to feed one device let alone others around the house 

What is the remedy? 

My router was replaced around 2 months ago and has worked fine up until this last week or so. This evening being its worst performance, requiring multiple re-boots and still having problems. 

Sukh
Participant

The only remedy is Talktalk to make more bandwidth available on the local exchange port. However you should post a new topic and you will then get someone replying from talktalk directly to look into your issue. 

Chatterbox

Thank you, 

I've started a new post

Sukh

Hi bonbonizer,

I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've checked the fault ticket and I can see that our Network Team passed this to Openreach for investigation and they have advised that they resolved a potential fault. Can I just confirm, are the speeds only still dropping of an evening and are they good during the day. What time wold you say that speeds usually start dropping down from and when do they improve again?

I can then re-escalate this to a different team.

Thanks