would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet speed getting slower and slower

59 REPLIES
Highlighted
Gizmo1981
Chat Champion

I have recently moved and when my service moved with me,  I was getting 50 meg down,  and almost 10 meg up.

Yesterday it had dropped to 40 down and 7 up

And this morning it has dropped to 34 down and just under 5 up.

I understand these things happen but It is infuriating.

In fact,  My minimum upload and download speed is slower than what is advertised for my package

Your estimated download Speed will be between 35.00 Mb and 52.90 Mb

Your estimated upload Speed will be between 11.57 Mb and 7.38 Mb

Can you please rectify this and get my speeds back to where they were?

Also,  I forgot to mention,  My router HG635 is still running on firmware v1.06t and I would like to be upgraded to the very latest firmware.

Thank you.

Playing GT5 on the Nurburgring Nordschleife with my Chrome Enzo Ferrari ;)
Community Team

Hi Gizmo1981

Please can you update your Community profile to include your name, telephone number and alternative contact number, we can then look into this further (Please do not post this information on this thread)

Please bump this thread to confirm once your Community profile has been updated.

Thanks

Debbie

Gizmo1981
Chat Champion

Hi Debbie,  I've done this now.

Community Team

Hi Gizmo1981

Thank you for updating your Community Profile.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but there were a high number of re connections on the line around 02/03, this can affect the sync speed.

Is the connection dropping or has the router been rebooted?

I've also updated your router firmware version.

Thanks

Debbie

Gizmo1981
Chat Champion

It was flat out dropping.

my partner rang talktalk aswell and the guy she spoke to said that there was a fault on the line hence why we are getting such lower than usual speeds.

He apparently booked a BT engineer to come out but he never did show up.

As I said before,  We were getting just a touch over 50meg down and almost 8meg up,  As of right now it is :  

32.8mbps Down 

2.68mbps up.

This is a substantial drop in speed compared to what I was getting not even 2 weeks ago.

I'm paying for the "faster fibre" though it seems to be slowing down,  Not speeding up.

It's getting to the point now where I'm considering throwing the towel in and going with another provider

Community Team

Hi Gizmo1981

Thanks for your reply.

Is the connection still dropping? (it looks more stable)

The line tests are now also clear. Once we have confirmed if the connection is stable then we can focus on the speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Gizmo1981
Chat Champion

It's only been dropping with the bad weather.

I can cope with the odd drop as long as speed isn't sacrificed.

Community Team

Hi Gizmo1981

Please can you connect the router directly at the test socket for 48hrs without rebooting the router, whilst DLM is monitoring the connection in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

Gizmo1981
Chat Champion

Done.

Can you also please bump up the speed?

Community Team

Hi Gizmo1981

Thank you. We have to allow BT's DLM 48hrs to monitor the connection in this set up and adjust the profile (increase the speed)

Please post back on this thread on Friday morning and we can check the connection stats again.

Thanks

Debbie

Gizmo1981
Chat Champion

Thank you.

When the BT openreach engineer came to the home address to move my service from my old address,  Rather than having him reconnect the old worn out socket,  I had him change the socket location closer to the wall sockets ( for power ) and he fitted a brand new fibre socket which is a MK4 socket,  It has 2 sockets,  one for phone and one for DSL.

So internally, The socket and such should be in fully working condition,  The only fault therefore could be the physical line from outside of the house to the exchange.

How long does this typically take?

I've been googling BT's DLM and it seems to be the case that an engineer has to come out to manually reset the DLM to bring the speeds back up to their original spec.

eg from my current 30mbps down / 2.90mbps up to the previous speeds of 50mbps down / 8mbps up.

Will I have to have an engineer booked to check if there is a fault on the line physically ( which could explain the DLM reigning my speeds in ) ?

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Gizmo1981,

Usually DLM starts to increase the speed within 24-48hrs if the connection remains stable and the errored seconds are low.

If the sync speed hasn't started to increase by Friday then we can raise this over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

Gizmo1981
Chat Champion

I bring bad news ( moreso than previously )

My connection has just dropped once again and now it has gone even slower.

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):

I don't know how much more of this I can take.

And TT have the absolute cheek to take £40 from the bank today,  I want this raised to a higher up please.

PLEASE can you do something.
Community Team

Hi Gizmo1981

Apologies for this.

I've escalated this fault over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Gizmo1981
Chat Champion

Another drop.

now sitting at : 

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Community Team

Hi Gizmo1981

Apologies for this.

I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information from our Network Team.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Gizmo1981

This fault is now under investigation with BT Openreach and we should receive further updates within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Gizmo1981

BT Openreach have now advised that an engineer visit is required and this has been arranged for 10/03 AM (8am - 1pm)

Will this visit, date and time be ok?

Thanks

Debbie

Gizmo1981
Chat Champion

That's fine yeah

10th March,  Is this a home visit or a visit where they check the property and any external wiring etc?

Community Team

Hi Gizmo1981,

Looks as though it will be a home visit but they should check external wiring too

Chris