Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Is Fibre Speed Boost active? Renewed Contract

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi, I recently renewed my TalkTalk phone and broadband contract. I was sent out the new SuperFast Hub and set it up. I've noticed that my broadband speeds have dropped significantly since renewing my contract. I've carried out speed checks and the speed seems to be capping out at 38Mbps. I am supposed to have Fibre Speed Boost, like before. 

I started an online chat with a TalkTalk adviser and it was like they weren't listening to me and kept going back to a script, ignoring my queries. I repeatedly asked if Fibre Speed Boost was active and according to my account it says it's part of my contract. No matter what else I was told twice they can send out a chargeable service engineer or would I like to go through a diagnostic check. I went through the diagnostic check and as I still asked questions I was asked if there was anything else they could do.

I understand that they might have been told to follow a guideline of troubleshooting but I didn't find it helpful in the slightest. 

I was wondering if you can help me in getting to the root of the problem why my speeds now seem to be capping out at 38Mbps?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi son1c_g

I'm sorry to hear this.

Your line is in sync at 40.7mb. There are a few re connections on the line and this can affect the sync speed.

Please can you leave the router at the test socket for 48hrs without rebooting and we can check the connection stats on Monday to see if DLM has made any changes to the profile/speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie, thanks for the reply. 

I've kept the router connected without rebooting over the weekend. The connection stats appear to be the same. 

I recently did a speed test and I'm still getting a stable 38Mbps download, 10.1Mbps upload, and 24ms ping. Before I renewed my contract I was using a TP-Link modem/router and getting faster speeds around 57Mbps. The very first time, years ago, when I first connected to fibre with speed boost I was getting around 73Mbps which then kept dropping over time. The phone cabinet is along the road and not too far away (320 metres or so), so I think I should be getting faster than 38Mbps.

I was wondering if speed boost was activated or if it may be some other issue?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi son1c_g

Apologies for this.

Is the router still connected at the test socket? I can then pass this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

Yes, the router is still connected to the test socket. I ran another speed test and it still seems to be capping at 38.4Mbps download. 

Highlighted

Hi son1c_g,

I can confirm that the speed boost is active. Can you switch your router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and check to see if the speed has improved 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Chris, thanks for getting back. 

I powered off and disconnected the router. After 30 minutes, once reconnected, I performed a speed test again. It went from 38.4Mbps to 38.8Mbps. 

I disconnected the router and tried my old modem/router. I first got 42.2Mbps and in another test I got 41.1Mbps. 

I reconnected the TalkTalk SuperFast Hub and two further speed tests gave me 38.3Mbps download and 9.8Mbps upload and the next result was 38.3Mbps and 10Mbps. 

In summary, I've tried powering off the router for 30 minutes, tried using the old modem/router, and swapped around micro-filters. I'm nowhere near the speeds I was getting when I had Faster Fibre Speed Boost before I renewed the contract. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Highlighted

Thanks for trying that. Has the speed only dropped since you started using the wifi hub?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

On the actual day of my renewal I was still using my TP-Link Modem/Router. As far as I'm aware I was still achieving speeds in the region of 54Mbps. The next day the TalkTalk SuperFast Hub arrived and I set it up. Since then I've been running speed tests and it's consistent that I'm receiving results of 38.3/4Mbps download, 10Mbps upload, and 24ms ping. 

As I mentioned before, years ago when I first got Faster Fibre with speed boost my initial speeds were in the 69-74Mbps range. Over time the speeds kept dropping. For a long time it was around 59Mbps. More recently it was around 54Mbps. I enquired at the time why the speeds kept dropping but I can't remember the response. There was a fault with a cable on a corner of the street nearby which BT Engineers said the created a temporary fix and would get back to it at a later date to create a permanent fix. I think this was after a time Engineers visited previously and said there was no problem, when there actually was one. 

The speed dropping now I associated with something to do with renewal of my contract. It's like being capped at the standard faster fibre speed of 38Mbps with no speed boost. The speed tests over the past week have been consistent. 

Highlighted

Thanks for the information 

The speed boost is still active, it's just that the speed has dropped. As the speed dropped when you swapped routers would you be able to test with your previous router. If you could leave it connected to your test socket for at least 48 hours or preferably over the weekend, we can then check the line history on Monday to see how it's been performing

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

I'll reconnect my previous router and see how it goes. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

I have been using the previous router for a week now and like before, there has been a slight improvement in speed from 38.3Mbps on the TalkTalk SuperFast Hub to 43.3Mbps on the old router. This is still well below the speed I was getting before renewing my contract. 

Highlighted

Hi son1c_g

Your line is in sync at 45.9mb. DLM is increasing the speed.

Please can you post back on this thread on Monday and we can check the sync speed again.

Thanks

Debbie