cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Is Sagemcom router behind web page access problem?

93 REPLIES 93
td123
Chat Champion

I received the new Sagemcom hub last month and the speeds are fine but have been suffering from intermittent problems accessing web pages. These occur whether on Wi-Fi or ethernet hard-wired. Things will be working fine but then I start getting the "Mmmmm ….cannot access this page " messages. Sometimes this is within 15 mins. of logging on, other times after several hours and sometimes a simple "refresh" gets the page loaded, other times not. Running the Windows troubleshooter returns  "DNS server is not responding" approx. 50% of the time. I have swapped between the Edge; Chrome & IE11 browsers and find the problem with all 3 

I called the help team and they checked the router and pushed latest firmware over but this did not solve problem

I have updated all drivers, tried the windows Network Reset; I have used the various network tools in Command Prompt such as the netsh winsock reset; netsh int ip reset; ipconfig/flushdns & ipconfig/registerdns etc etc and have switched the IPv6 settings between Auto; TalkTalk DNS; Open DNS and Google DNS;  I even reinstalled Windows 10 but am still getting this problem.

Trawling through the Fibre forum I saw others having access issues and mention of router settings being changed at your end and possible changes at my end. I have accessed my router internet settings and have found the following in "internet connectivity"

Connection type     - DCHP

VLAN Id                 - 101

Addressing Type   - DCHP

DNS                      - Obtain DNS automatically

DNS1                    - 79.79.79.79    (greyed out)

DNS2                    - 79.79.79.80    (greyed out)

From what I have read in other threads I wonder if I should try turning the DNS obtain switch from Auto to Manually Specify so that the 79.79.79.79  &  79.79.79.80 become active?

Please advise on this or any other ideas that might solve the problem.

Community Team

Hi td123,

I'm sorry to hear this. We have raised the intermittent slow web pages with the wifi hub over to our Products Team for investigation, however we've not been able to replicate this specific issue ourselves. Does this affect both wired and wireless devices?

Do you have an alternative router that you can test with? If not then we can arrange to send a HG633 router for testing purposes to see how this compares.

Thanks

td123
Chat Champion

Hi, thanks for looking into the problem.

I have just spend 90mins at a neighbours checking my laptop on his EE fibre broadband service and all worked perfectly, no "Hmmmm sorry cannot find this page..." messages and webpages opening quicker and smoother than I get at home. His speed around 36 to 38 Mb, same as mine. So I think that rules out having to replace the laptop.

I have HG635 which I haven't put back in service yet as I wanted to keep the Sagemcom powered up and connected to avoid the DLM issues but I will swap them later today and see what happens. Before I do that though I am going to swap ethernet cables to rule that out - but as I get the problem both wired & wireless I think I know what the result will be. 

Community Team

Hi td123,

Ok thanks for the additional information and please let us know how the connection compares once the HG635 router is connected.

Thanks

td123
Chat Champion

Hi Michelle, I have tried my best to rule out as many "variables " as I can. Before I swapped the routers I swapped the ethernet cable - I had been using the new black one supplied with the Sagemcom but went back to the previous yellow one. I also swapped the "rj11 twisted pair" cable that the openreach engineer made up for me last year when he fitted my 5C Master socket and used the grey rj11 supplied with the Sagemcom but neither change resulted in any significate differences . I also borrowed my neighbours old acer laptop and tried that with all cable swaps and the Sagemcom. Then I swapped the routers over, going back to the HG635 - again trying all permutations of cables and laptops.

The results were not as fully conclusive as I had hoped.

Using the HG635 : 

I did find the older borrowed laptop & HG635 combo to be a little problematic but when I returned it I was informed it is over 8 years old so the spec. & age may have been to blame for the slow reactions. With my under 3yr old HP things were much better but again with one or two little niggles on speed and smoothness of webpages opening.  

Using the Sagecom:

With both laptops I experienced the issues as mentioned before - for a while all would run smoothly then back to "Hmmm … cannot find this webpage" & "DNS server not responding" and sometimes a "screen freeze" issue (which I think I forgot in my earlier post). 

Where to next?

td123
Chat Champion

Hi Michelle, I have tried my best to rule out as many "variables " as I can. Before I swapped the routers I swapped the ethernet cable - I had been using the new black one supplied with the Sagemcom but went back to the previous yellow one. I also swapped the "rj11 twisted pair" cable that the openreach engineer made up for me last year when he fitted my 5C Master socket and used the grey rj11 supplied with the Sagemcom but neither change resulted in any significate differences . I also borrowed my neighbours old acer laptop and tried that with all cable swaps and the Sagemcom. Then I swapped the routers over, going back to the HG635 - again trying all permutations of cables and laptops.

The results were not as fully conclusive as I had hoped.

Using the HG635 :

I did find the older borrowed laptop & HG635 combo to be a little problematic but when I returned it I was informed it is over 8 years old so the spec. & age may have been to blame for the slow reactions. With my under 3yr old HP things were much better but again with one or two little niggles on speed and smoothness of webpages opening.

Using the Sagecom:

With both laptops I experienced the issues as mentioned before - for a while all would run smoothly then back to "Hmmm … cannot find this webpage" & "DNS server not responding" and sometimes a "screen freeze" issue (which I think I forgot in my earlier post).

Where to next?

umanu2
Wizz Kid

@td123- sorry a bit of a belated response.

This sounds a little like an access problem I was having a while back. As a long shot, a trial and error type resolution ....

Try changing the DNS settings on your laptop (on the laptop not the router) to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 instead of obtaining automatically (from the router), this will give you Google's DNSs instead of TalkTalk's DNSs unless you have changed the router settings, and should mean that you bypass most of the router's DNS processing.

Nothing lost so might be worth trying.

td123
Chat Champion
@umanu2 - Thanks anyway but I already tried that. along with OPEN DNS and others....it's wits end time
umanu2
Wizz Kid

OK.

One other strange thing when I was having the access problems.

We have 3 pc's, 2 x Win10 and 1 x Win7, all randomly failed to resolve addresses, but my android phone when connected via wifi never failed once. Curious ?

Definitely more head scratching required.

td123
Chat Champion

Head scratching is right.

The thing was that running through various checks/diagnostics etc. last week I was well on the way to blaming the laptop, but as my old firms IT guy said  " As you have re-installed Win10; updated all drivers and run all the Command Prompt diagnostics, switched off (then uninstalled /re-installed) Avast Antivirus and Malawarebytes it points to the problem being elsewhere. Then I started looking here for more info and what do I find but others having issues with the Sagemcom hub and slow web response. The final check was yesterday and today when I took my laptop to a neighbours and on his EE fibre it was all fine and his old laptop on mine was giving problems. I'm just glad I didn't pop down to Argos; Currys or PcWorld spend a lot of dosh only to find that wasn't the problem.

umanu2
Wizz Kid

I had this none resolved address issue when using an HG635 with both V1.06t and V1.10t firmware as well as an HG633 with V2.00t firmware.

As I said early we eventually changed the DNS settings in all our pc's and everything worked ok, this was whilst using the HG633. Changing DNS at the router level worked for a few minutes only. 

I recently had some issues with our Youview box and had to have that swapped out. When I swapped the Youview I took the opportunity to go back to my old HG635 (far and away the best TT router available IMO).

I recently noticed that my HG635 had been upgraded to V1.14t firmware, so I decided to see if that made any difference to the original issue -  changed y pc back to automatic DNS and (fingers crossed) everything now works without issue. I have tried both TalkTalk and Google DNSs and both seem ok.

So I'm wondering if getting your HG635 up to V1.14t firmware may be worth testing. Of course if it is already at V1.14t then ignore this post.

As a matter of interest I tried an early Sagecom and sent it back for a refund - the performance was shockingly bad.

Community Team

Hi td123,

Thanks for the additional information and I'll take another look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection stats look ok. Could you run a wired ping and trace route the next time you experiencing the slow web pages and post the results into the thread.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

td123
Chat Champion

@umanu2 - Thanks, I checked the HG 635 and it has the V1.14t

@OCE_Michelle I attach screengrabs of a few ping & trace checks but as I previously found pics get posted in a different order sometimes I will put them in separate posts but here is one when all running fineping-trace running fine.jpg

td123
Chat Champion

This one when I was getting the periodical "Hmmm … cannot reach this page".. note initial failure to connect with google. I did experience this a couple of times before but didn't make screengrabs of themping-trace with cannot reach.jpg

td123
Chat Champion

And here are a couple more for your information. I will run a few more checks when I am back home this afternoon and if there any great variabilities I will post them. I will be interested as to what you make of these results

ping trace1.jpgping trace2.jpg

Community Team

Hi td123,

Thank you. The results look ok apart from 1 which shows high pings to the router. Which router is connected at the moment, the HG635 or the wifi hub?

Do certain sites seem to be worse than others? For example secure sites or does it affect all sites?

Thanks

td123
Chat Champion

The Sagemcom is connected. I haven't really noted if they are secure or not but when it throws a wobbler it tends to do it to all.  A few minutes ago I couldn't access any website I tried so went straight to running a ping test and I got repeated failed attempts with that  "cannot find google.co.uk " message for about 4 to 5 minutes. Then whilst the Command Prompt was still open up came the BBC and the TalkTalk forum sites and the next ping check worked fine, as you would expect. I messed up on saving the screengrab so cannot post a pic

Community Team

Hi td123,

Ok, would you like us to send a HG633 router for testing purposes to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

td123
Chat Champion

Yes please, why not, it's worth a try and might help to pin down where the problem is.

Thanks for your help in dealing with this.

Community Team

Hi td123

The HG633 router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie