cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Is Sagemcom router behind web page access problem?

td123
Chat Champion

Thanks Debbie. I will keep my eye out for the postie

I forgot to ask this before but as no-one has suggested it the answer is probably no but regarding those "DNS server not responding" messages I get after a diagnostics check is there any merit is changing the DNS settings?

i.e switch the router from auto to manual and the 79.79.79.79 / 79.79.79.80 options and switch the laptop IPv4 network from TalkTalk DNS settings to either Open DNS; Google DNS  etc etc  or set to auto discover. Is there a best combination for optimum performance?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@td123 

DNS servers are managed in a hierarchical structure.

By default Windows will be set to use your router supplied DNSs, and by default your router will use pre-set ISP addresses.

Laptop settings take precedence over router settings, so any laptop change will "over rule" any router change.

From an earlier post I interpreted one of your responses as stating that you had already tried Google and OpenDNS public DNSs, is this not the case ?

Suggestion - if you haven't already tried this ...

If you have changed things, revert your laptop to initial settings - selecting to obtain automatically. And definitely don't mess with IPV4 and IPV6 settings - leave those as default.

Change the router to static DNS and use Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 Don't forget to "save" - that button may be off the bottom of the screen - so scroll down if necessary.

That should be enough to establish the validity of this approach to the problem.

Optimum performance shouldn't really be a concern at this stage of troubleshooting - getting things working is more critical (IMO).

td123
Chat Champion

@Anonymous:   Mmm well that was interesting - the laptop IPv4 was set to the default automatic find DNS (although I thought I'd left them set at 62.62.134.1 / 62.24.243.2 for the TalkTalk servers). Anyway then I set the Sagemcom to the google DNS and applied and went to open 2 web pages on Argos and 2 on Currys (the shortlist of 4 laptops I thought I was going to have choose from as a replacement for the current one) and up came 4 "Hmmm … cannot find this page" but as soon as I switched the Sagemcom back the pages all opened ok.

Thanks for your time and input - I may not be solving things but my knowledgebase is increasing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK.

But those DNS addresses that you quoted are very old TT DNS servers, I didn't think they were still in operation. NB - allowing for a typo in the first address (62.64 rather than 62.62).

79.79 etc. are the current DNSs.

Maybe that explains some of your error messages ?

td123
Chat Champion

Yes it was a typo, should have read 62.24............... and I have not managed to find any alternative TT server settings other than those I used. Irrespective of that I get the problems when the IPv4 is either set to T.Talk DNS or the DNS settings for Google; Open; Comodo; Avantage or set to the Obtain DNS Automatically option

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I set my router to default to the TalkTalk DNSs I get addresses 79.79.79.77 and 79.79.79.78 (not those 62.24 ..... addresses). I'm fairly certain that TT did a major upgrade a while back.

But definitely a strange one.

Could I suggest that you reset your laptop's IPV4 addresses back to automatic, so the DNSs are selected at the router level and then see what effect (if any) the new HG633 router has.

Community Team

Hi td123,

Has the replacement router arrived?

Thanks

td123
Chat Champion

Hi Michelle, Yeah it arrived Friday afternoon. There have been mixed results to say the least and I'm scratching my head trying to work out what it all means.

Over the weekend I have tried all the routers and each one has worked well at times but also give the "Hmmm.... cannot find this page" problem, and as before sometimes a simple click on the refresh button sorts it - other times not and a reboot of the laptop is required - but then that doesn't always resolve things. Also sometimes the diagnostics have reported the "DNS server not responding" message as before other times it cannot detect any problem.

There is no consistency, this morning for instance with the HG635 connected I had happy surfing for nearly 2 hours before the glitches started whereas on Sunday morning I couldn't access any webpages for over an hour and a half, during which I tried all the routers.

I have also tried different combinations of rj11 and ethernet cables in-case the fault was there.

The previous checks with my laptop at a neighbours and his laptop at my house convinced me that my laptop was working correctly and that the fault was with the Sagemcom or the broadband supply, but since trying the other routers I am just not sure anymore what is happening. My current plan is to see if I can do the laptop swap again and see what the results are as maybe last time my laptop just behaved itself for a couple of hours - in the same way that I had no problems this morning.... who knows.

I could pop down to Currys/PcWorld and spend a lot of money I don't really have spare on a new laptop only to find that my problem remains.

Community Team

Hi td123,

Thanks for the update. Just to confirm, do you have any other devices connected to the line? Do they also experience the same issue?

Thanks

td123
Chat Champion

As an example of how fickle things are I realised I had forgot to add these ping & tracer results  to the last message so clicked on the Reply button but the page was replaced with the "Hmm cannot find this page " and  it has been nearly 20 mins before I got back here. Anyway here they are. Initial failed attempts to make contact with google.co uk followed by a set of readings but as you will see some individual figures for both ping and trace are way off the usual expected numbers. These results were obtained yesterday when I was having problems getting access to web pages.hg635 ping trace.jpg

td123
Chat Champion

The only other equipment is my smart TV. I cannot say for sure if the live streaming has been affected as I haven't checked it at the same time as having web page problems. 

Community Team

Hi td123,

Ok thanks. Do you have any phones connected? The results show high pings to the router. Did you run this test wireless? Have you also tested wired with the new router connected?

Thanks

td123
Chat Champion
Yes, one land line phone & answerphone connected. The last set of results posted were from the HG635 and wired. I will switch routers and rest ping/tracer with each
td123
Chat Champion

Forgot to say in previous post I am also running a printer wirelessly.

Here are the ping/trace results for the HG633 (wired) no access at first then eventually connection re-established 

td123
Chat Champion

Oopps I'll try again but with another delay due to connection issuesHG 633 not found then tests.jpg

td123
Chat Champion

And here's the tests on the Sagemcom

Sagemcom not found then tests.jpg

Community Team

Hi td123,

Apologies for the confusion, I meant any wireless devices such as mobiles or tablets?

Thanks

td123
Chat Champion

No, just the TV & printer. 

A different experience this morning - whereas this time yesterday I had about 2hrs of problem free surfing this morning I have had multiple drop-outs. I Have had the Cmd  window open and have run multiple ping tests and have found the connection to be on/off every few minutes.

I hope to get the "laptop swap" checks organised today or tomorrow.

Community Team

Hi td123,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

td123
Chat Champion

@OCE_Michelle   & @OCE_Debbie  Hi there

Well I just spent over 2 hours at my neighbours using my laptop on his fibre broadband and had no problems at all in fact, as I found before, pages opened faster than at home.

Once I got home I logged in and within 5 mins got the first "Hmmm cannot find this page" and ping test returned the "...could not find host google.co.uk" I did further ping tests when the connection glitch cleared and although some were around the usual 15 or 16 I also got these too:

Minimum = 15; Maximum = 30; Average = 19
Minimum = 16; Maximum = 26; Average = 18
Minimum = 16; Maximum = 20; Average = 17

Not being well versed in telecoms I'm not sure of the next stage in the fault-finding as so far I have tried 3 different routers at home using multiple combinations of 3 different ethernet cables and 3 different fj11 cables and have experienced problems with all combinations. My laptop appears to work perfectly fine on a neighbours fibre broadband.

Is it possible that the glitch could be due to some external problem with my line - a loose wire in the green distribution box at the end of my street for example or some other issue? Or could there be a fault/loose wire within the Master Socket 5C that was fitted by Openreach late last year?

I started this thread 10 days ago (although my problems showed up about 4 weeks ago) and I really could do with a solution before it drives me completely round the twist.