I forgot to say in the last message that speed tests with the Sagemcom are in line with those posted before for the HG635. Worst incidence with connection was this morning (Sunday) when no access at all for approx. 50 mins.
I'm sorry for the delay. Could I just confirm, does this also happen if you change to alternative DNS settings in the HG635/HG633 router? Only do this for testing purposes.
@OCE_Michelle I usually leave the laptops IPv4 DNS settings to automatic, the router similarly is left to find DNS automatically. I have tried setting the IPv4 on the laptop to DNS from either TalkTalk; Google; Open & Comodo DNS but nothing has provided a permanent solution. I did see a post yesterday about improving things by setting the router DNS to those from google so I tried it but at the moment I clicked on the apply button all my open tabs went to "Hmm cannot reach this page" so I quickly set them back to auto. I have tried setting the router to the 188.8.131.52/184.108.40.206 but again this hasn't provided a permanent solution.
My line/connection was so bad yesterday morning (Sunday) that I called the phone helpline to ask for a line check and during the call my web access returned. During the call I was also told that there was already a phone call booked for today from Tech Support. The call was booked for this morning but as I was not going to be in I changed it to this afternoon.
Our network team have asked if you change the DNS setting can you switch the router off for 30 minutes afterwards to make sure that the new DNS settings take effect
@OCE_Chris Can do - if they are suggesting I change the settings on the Sagemcom which DNS settings do they recommend I change too?
Well the phone call from the tech team was booked for between 14:00 and 16:00 hrs, so I got a call at 19:20. Various checks on the line and router and a sync reset. I got a the first drop-out after only a few minutes but I am aware that it needs up to 48 hours to settle so now it's monitor the connection and see if things improve. A follow up call has been booked for Thurs afternoon and I have been asked to keep checking the ping/trace and if I notice any major discrepancies to post them here.
Thanks to all for your help so far.
Well I never got the telephone call yesterday (no surprise there - I have never had a call back within the arranged timeslot). The update I would have provided on the phone is as follows.
After the checks; tests and tools applied (line resync?) on Tuesday evening apart from an initial glitch it settled down and for a few hours all was well, still a little "clunky" with a few secs. delay for pages to open but no "Hmm....cannot find this page " so a definite improvement and on Wednesday morning again things were running in similar vein.
Then I decided to run ping & traceroute via the Command Prompt (for the first time since the 'phone call) the results looked OK but immediately following the tests the "Hmm ..... cannot find" came back and I had gone back to the same level of problems as before the 'phone call.
Coincidence? maybe. It might be completely illogical that one could cause the other but there is one way to find out.
Could you please arrange for the tests; checks and tools (line resync?) that were undertaken on Tuesday evening to be repeated and I can then monitor things at my end - and this time I won't run any ping/traceroute tests.
I've completed a further line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 40mb. Connection also appears to be stable.
Please can you monitor the connection over the weekend and let us know how you get on.
Thanks for the info Debbie. I will persevere with fingers crossed and let you know how things go over the weekend..
As it is now highly unlikely that I will need to run any further comparison checks with the HG633 you sent me I will box it up and sent it back in the return-bag provided. Thanks
Thanks for checking in. I was having such a bad time on Sunday that I called the help line. Checks on the line showed stability problems and your colleague has booked an Openreach engineer for Wednesday afternoon to check things out. I will report back after the visit.
The Openreach engineer visited this afternoon and found "their" side of things to be working okay and that the problem was with yourselves. He was going to try and call someone at TalkTalk about it and send in the test data and recommendations.
Hi commented that the likeliest reason for my problems is either with the PPP or with the "authentication" ( I may have got that wrong but think that's what he said).
Either-way I am still having problems getting on-line.
Our Network Team have looked into this and have advised that we will need to arrange another engineer visit so I'm just sending you a Personal Message to confirm some details.
Please do not post any personal information on the Community, reply via Personal Message (PM) only.
Can you tell me the purpose of third 2nd visit because as far as I am aware he checked everything yesterday during the 45/50mins or so he was with me
He undertook a line test for any corrosion/damp spots etc and line sync, he checked the electrical setup; he also checked whilst connected to my Sagemcom router and when he left the property he was going to have a check on the green street cabinet for any issues there.
I have to go out now so will have to continue this when I get back.
( last message should have read … purpose of this 2nd visit ....
Am I still having problems - well it has just taken me nearly 10mins to get to this reply sorted and sent.
This needs to go back to BT Openreach to arrange a fibre card reset. If the fault is still present following this then a Lift and Shift will be required (work at the exchange)
We need to arrange an engineer visit so they can complete the card reset.