cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Is Sagemcom router behind web page access problem?

Community Team
td123
Chat Champion

@OCE_Michelle 

Not good - the Openreach engineer called yesterday and checked things over again and commented about his concern about the "noise" level.

As I was expecting he then went to the street cabinets and undertook the "Lift & Switch" and asked that I have continue to monitor following this work. For the 1st hour or so all was well but then I was back to my usual poor service:

Failed ping tests; Latency errors; Diagnostics returning "DNS server problems" and Hmmm... cannot reach this page. 

As both Openreach engineers commented that the probable cause is a PPP/Authentication issue at your end please could you get this looked at?

I upgraded to fibre on 18th Feb but for only about 7 to 10 days were things going well. Since then I have had these problems. I am paying more for a faster speed but spending approx 50% of my time unable to get access and this down time is spent attempting various diagnostics; checks & restarts (and swearing in frustration at everything) so a waste of money so far. Compensation due?

I wish I had never switched to fibre - I should maybe have switched to PlusNet.

Community Team

Hi td123,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've escalated this straight back to our Network Team and I will let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi td123,

Our Network Team have looked into this again and advised that it's not an authentication problem as everything has been built correctly. Can I just confirm, the connection is stable but you just can't load any web pages at all or is this intermittent?

Do you still have the HG633 router that you could retest to see if the slow web pages is still happening? The reason I ask is because we did raise an issue with slow web pages and the wifi hub to our Products Team and I just want to ensure that this issue is not limited to this router?

Thanks

td123
Chat Champion

@OCE_Michelle 

I have to say I find it difficult to believe that the switch to fibre and the start of these problems are just coincidence.

It varies - Saturday for instance all was fine for about 4 to 5 hours then the problems stared whereas Sunday morning it was problematic after just a few minutes. When I get a "Hmm … cannot reach this page " sometimes a refresh does the trick, othertimes nothing works and I just have to wait for the connection to get back up and recently the windows diagnostics pretty continuously tells me that the DNS server cannot be found or not responding. When I logged on just now I got the  "No internet access" message and it was about 10 mins before it came up

I still have the HG635 that I had before switching to fibre so can reconnect that later if you think it would help to get to the root cause, but I had the same problems with it before when I tried all the equipment swaps.

I have to say I find it difficult to believe that the switch to fibre and the start of these problems are just coincidence.

Community Team

Hi td123,

As we have seen some reports of slow web pages with the wifi hub and now that the lift and switch has been completed, it may be worth testing the HG635 router again just to see. Did the engineer test with their own router?

Thanks

td123
Chat Champion

@OCE_Michelle 

Neither Openreach engineer connected an alternative router. I will dig out the old HG635 and connect later and report back tomorrow.

Pfred
Conversation Starter

Hitd123

Just been looking at your thread - not all 87 messages! However, a couple of your comments ring bells.

"As both Openreach engineers commented that the probable cause is a PPP/Authentication issue at your end please could you get this looked at?"

"I wish I had never switched to fibre - I should maybe have switched to PlusNet".

I switched to "Faster Fibre" on 6 Feb and have had no broadband service of any sort since! Not even intermittent! I had SIX visits from Openreach engineers (that's Talk Talk can-kicking) and from the beginning they were talking about PPP/Authentication issues at TalkTalk.

Despite numerous telephone calls to the Philippines "help-desk' and many messages to these nice folk at the TT Community all of which they pass on to "their network teams'"or their "CEO team" or a "Complaints Manager", nothing actually happens!!!!!!!!!

Actually I tell a lie, a "CEO Complaints Person" came out of the woodwork on 5 April apparently by way of a telephone call when I was out. Since then she has gone AWOL despite my efforts to contact her.

I am receiving absolutely no constructive or informed help and can only assume that something serious is going on out there which TT are not talking about.

Good luck!

Peter

Pfred
td123
Chat Champion

@Pfred 

Hi, I just read through your thread. I thought I had just cause to be utterly frustrated, disappointed and annoyed at TalkTalk's terrible service but at least I do manage to get on line some of the time.

Fingers x'd we will both get sorted... not holding my breath though

Community Team

Hi td123,

How are you getting on? Did you have a chance to retest the HG635 router?

Thanks

td123
Chat Champion

@OCE_Michelle

Yes I swapped to the HG635 but sadly the result was the same - drop outs, DNS server issues, Hmmm... cannot reach this page; failed ping tests and latency errors.

Getting very frustrated now - solution required.

Community Team

Hi td123

Apologies for this.

I'm discussing this fault with our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

td123
Chat Champion

@OCE_Debbie 

Thanks.

I have the router and the laptop IPv4 both set to automatically find DNS. 

Given that a regular diagnostics message is about DNS issues is there an alternative set of DNS settings for both router and IPv4 that I could/should try?

Community Team