would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Is TalkTalk Really Actually Bad?

53 REPLIES 53
Live_SGC
Chatterbox

Hi,

I have seem A LOT of hate towards TalkTalk on these forums, the Web, and even Wikipedia stating "The company has been rated multiple times among the worst landline and broadband providers." (From The Guardian).

What I want to know, is if TalkTalk really as bad as everyone perceives it to be?

I'm interested in the Fastest Fibre package (the one with 76Mbps download speed). Has anyone had any good service with this fibre package? I mean, I know the Super Router is complete rubbish, however that isn't a problem as I could easily connect a differnent router. I want to know about the actual broadband itself. Does it keep cutting out? Do people tend to get the speed close to 76Mbps as advertised?

Please try and be helpful - I don't want to hear any one-sentence "TalkTalk is complete rubbish" answers. Please try and explain why you think TalkTalk has been very good or bad by stating your experiences with their broadband.

Thanks everyone!!

Live_SGC

ferguson
Community Star

It's fine. You aren't going to get a balanced view from a forum which is dominated by people posting with problems. Try any other ISP's forums and you will see that they are also dominated by problems. Few people post here or anywhere for that matter to pronounce themselves satisfied. All fibre services are delivered over the Openreach network except for Virgin Media, so unless you go with them there should be no difference. And how do you know the Super Router is complete rubbish? There are two models for a start and personally I haven't had problems with either of them.

tiswas123
Popular Poster

Just like the previous post like all companys you have the good and the bad, I switched from Plusnet which was supposed to have really good customer service, saying that I was with them for 3 years, and never needed to contact them right up untill I left as the mucked my final bill up, and I waiting for over 1 hour on the phone.

The only thing is with all these companys are the Routers their supply which are never great you always just get by with them, alot of problems come from them. 

On a final note I have been with talltalk for over a month and Iam very happy with the service.

Tiswas
Gordon1961
Team Player

Hi. I'd like to put my penny into this discussion. Been with Talktalk for over 12 years and never had a problem with it. Ok so I'm on fast fibre from this year and on the excellent Sky Sports boost at £8.50 pm. Minor niggles here and there but overall very pleased with the package. Pity TT could not do a deal with BT Sports as per Sky. ( My one real niggle ).

swizzle
Popular Poster

From personal experience i would say they were great up until they recently introduced line management, since then the service has gotten much much worse as hundreds if not thousands on these forums can attest to, also the so called `tech support` in phillipines is a joke, one guy thought i was trying to hack or scam because i use archlinux operating system, they are not very tech savvy and their grasp of the English language (or lack thereof) often frustrates me. I would check if the DLM (line management) affects fibre as well as DSL, if so then i would pass, look elsewhere, if you are in UK this is a good place to shop for ISP Sam Knows Broadband Checker

Good Luck.

ferguson
Community Star

@swizzle Are you referring to SDLM as it applies to ADSL broadband? Because TalkTalk, along with other ISPs have no control over the Openreach DLM system as it works with fibre broadband. So you may be off-topic here.

Live_SGC
Chatterbox

Hi @ferguson @swizzle @Gordon1961 @tiswas123,

Thank you SO much for replying to my post. I suppose you're all right - if you look at other providers' forums you generally also see quite a lot of people with problems on the network.

I know the HG633 is quite bad becasue I've actually been to a friend's to compare between the HG633 and the BT Smart Hub. The BT Smart Hub has better actual components than the HG633, and has better Tx/Rx antennaes. I'm planning on using a BT Smart Hub (which I already have) to use on TalkTalk, by using the HG633 as the modem so it will work.

I'm not with TalkTalk, however I'm considering moving from BT to TT, purely because BT is way too expensive for me. I'm just a little scared that I might get rubbish service on TT, becasue so many people are saying they are.

Anyway, TalkTalk is under Local-Loop Unbuldling (LLU), I've heard that this means TalkTalk can still make modifications to the network, even though they're running the same BT infrastructure. Is this true? And can this affect my service/speed, and more importantly, consistency of broadband?

And for DLM, I'm pretty sure that's something Openreach have done for years? What's the difference in DLM and SDLM, and will it be much of an issue for me that is will affect my service if I moved to TalkTalk?

Thanks everyone,

Live_SGC

ferguson
Community Star

As I said above, SDLM is the system used by TalkTalk for their "normal" ADSL broadband. Fibre broadband is entirely contolled by Openreach and theire DLM, the fact that you are on TalkTalk LLU will have no bearing on your service. And you should at least try the HG633 befor dismissing it, you may get a D-LINK DSL 3782 instead. My parents have a so-called Super Hub and it can't make it through two walls of their bungalow.

digitalsection
Chat Champion

In this day and age of the Internet you will only ever find negative posts regarding service offered by ANY ISP, as soon as something goes wrong people are quick to post their experiences, and if they feel they have not been dealt with quickly enough they will post something along the lines of "TalkTalk are the worst ISP ever, do NOT sign-up with them, you'll regret it"

To juxtapose this, you''ll  never find any posts praising good service, ever, it's the nature of the beast.

I have been with TT since August 2015, I have had 99.9% Internet access in that time and never had any problems with slow speed, I actually got a higher speed than estimated when upgrading to faster fibre (38Mbps) instead of the estimated 30Mbps 🙂

The HG633 router is rightly slated as being bad, but if you configure it properly it is OK, set a high quality password, disable remote management and also the TR-069 service so TT cannot dump new firmware on to it via the ACS server. It's also a security issue, (especially if you do not change the default password) but that's another matter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNOD9e-DbAs

KatieP6
First Timer

Talktalk’s service has been shocking since we have been using it. We switched from sky for cost reasons and now we cannot get out of this contract. The speed has been so slow and always dropping out. We paid extra for faster fibre and still no good. The broadband service has been so poor that my husband has had to give up his online teaching job due to the connection dropping in the middle of lessons. I have been back through the notes he made every time the router dropped out (4 pages).  We are in the process of a complaint but it takes so long. They now say we have an out of date router- but if that is the case why not send a new one before now. So frustrating. They say they are resolving it - why now after 3 months?? Apalling and unfortunately our contract runs until 2019 unless we can get out of it via the communications ombudsman. 

KatieP6
First Timer

Don’t move - you will more than likely get rubbish service. 

Pete6r
Popular Poster

how does disabling remote management improve the router ?

Probs I’m having are with the useless WiFi, any tips other than the usual to help with that ?

Im prob just gona put a slave router attached to it for better WiFi, should not need to do this though !

richuk
Popular Poster

I’ve been with TalkTalk for years, no problem with internet speed, billing, Direct Debit. Their mobile service is pretty good too. However two major issues, since that famous hack in 2015 I am constantly being harassed by the fraudsters, claiming to be from TalkTalk. They now have a new feature called CallSafe and things got much better but there are still issues with the voicemail. 

Second is their call centres are a complete nightmare. Very rarely you get someone who knows what they are talking about. Recently I noticed that it got even worse. Most advisors I spoke to were utterly clueless. When I called them a few days ago all I could here was extremely loud laughter in the background and the advisor I was talking to couldn’t contain her laughter either, tottaly uninterested in helping me. Unbelievably unprofessional behaviour. I don’t know what happened but call centre quality has deteriorated significantly, it’s never been great but now it’s worse than ever before.

All in all, they are a good value for money. If it wasn’t for that hack in 2015 it would’ve been perfect.

Rich
Bertybassett99
Popular Poster
I cannot fault the internet connection when its working. However, when I first signed up openreach connected up another house hold. It took along time for tt to accept this. Eventually it got sorted. I have just signed up to a new contract and I was getting fibre large speeds 55/19. However since signing up to new contract speeds have dropped to basic fibre 37/9. This time as Openreach don't touch any wires, somewhere in tt towers Someone has flicked the wrong switch. I have started the long journey to get them to sort it out. It doesn't help that the call centres treat you like idiots.
Divsec
Community Star

I like TT and avoid the call centres. Using this community, and the excellent OCE team any issues I have experienced have been resolved or are being resolved with courtesy and understanding. Consistantly seeing 72.5 up, 18.5 down, landline no issues. TV box not good but that is being sorted by @HollyBy 

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Bertybassett99
Popular Poster
I can honestly say there is nothing wrong with the internet connection. I get rock solid 60/20. I can't remember the last time it dropped out.
Talk Talk are *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* poor when you ring customer services. Don't bother with the phone. Post on the forum and one of the team will sort you out. I'm getting faster fibre for £25 a month. Bargain. I couldn't care less that talk talk got hacked. All companies get hacked, some admit others don't.
The router is poor at filtering. I gave up trying to get my server to work. However, the 5g wifi signal is solid.
fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Live_SGC

I know that I shall regret posting this as "Murphy's law" is bound to kick in!!! I have been with TT since Tiscali days and whilst I have had a couple of problems they have usually been fixed pretty fast by using the forum. I am currently receiving 39.998 Mbps down and 7.1 Mbps up  (TO THE ROUTER). I am just on the Faster Fibre package with average Download speed quoted as 35 Mbps.

Why don't you try it and see as there is currently a limited time (20 Sept expiry I believe) 30 day try it and you can cancel if you don't like it. https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/content/30day. It is currently on offer for £19.95 for Faster fibre or £22.45 for "Faster Fibre large" and includes the new WI-FI HUB.  https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/splash/12465029?_cid=181207287&iid=nn0wfg5zbpqs&listname=undefined...

@Bertybassett99 I've just started a new contract at this price fixed for 18 months. I only changed to the £25 deal a couple of months ago and saw deal on uswitch, followed the link and it applied new price. I should try it if you want to save cash and don't mind starting a new 18 month contract.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
prawlin
Enlightened One

Grrrrrrr!  Wish I had seen this Uswitch thing before. I upgraded to standard fibre service just a couple of weeks back. I'm paying 23.50 for 18 months. Not a bad offer I thought, but £19.95 would have been even better!!!

Peter

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Peter

You only have to be 30 days on a fixed low price plan and you can renew again. 

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
prawlin
Enlightened One

Thanks again @Gondola

Not sure I get this fully. I'm scheduled to go live today with fibre upgrade at £23.50/18 months (am still using ADSL at this moment paying £19.95 on what was a 2 year contract).

So are you saying that if I wait until more than 30 days elapse from today, I could then go for the £19.95 contract?  (if the Uswitch deal is still available by then)

If that's the case then I would be crazy not to do it!

Cheers

Peter

PS I've been with TT over a decade. No complaints about the service provided from TT ***via these excellent forums*** but do avoid the telephone based customer service as it is well and truly mega dire. 

Regarding the the physical engineering support, yes I've had many bad issues but they have all been 100% caused by BT Openreach with their outdated wires infrastructure and outrageously poor engineering services. Things would have been just the same in this respect with any other DSL copper based ISP as Openreach have the total wire monopoly. Virgin would have been better perhaps but I refuse to pay their significantly higher prices.

Peter