cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Is your Talk Talk FTTC really as fast as it can be ??

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Talk Talk support always say that a FTTC line is running as fast as it can and the speed obtained is down to Openreach hence Talk Talk can do nothing to improve it, but Talk Talk never mention what NGA profile they choose when a FTTC line is ordered from Openreach

nga.jpg

Source:-  https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm

Well 1 week ago I had one of my lines moved from Talk Talk to Plusnet so I am able to compare the connection from both ISP,s over the same copper pair

Both the services are sold as no speed cap maximum speed possable

Before the move Talk Talk gave:

Max:    Upstream rate = 6854 Kbps, Downstream rate = 40356 Kbps
Bearer:    0, Upstream rate = 6854 Kbps, Downstream rate = 41024 Kbps

Down        Up
SNR (dB):     6.1         5.7
Attn(dB):     23.8         0.0
Pwr(dBm):     11.7         2.8

As soon as the move was done I got:-

Max: Upstream rate = 6874 Kbps, Downstream rate = 40480 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 6874 Kbps, Downstream rate = 35236 Kbps

Down        Up
SNR (dB): 6.2 5.9
Attn(dB): 23.8 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 11.7 2.8

Since the move the speed from Plusnet has been going up each day so now I get

Max:    Upstream rate = 6809 Kbps, Downstream rate = 44808 Kbps
Bearer:    0, Upstream rate = 6809 Kbps, Downstream rate = 44980 Kbps

SNR (dB):     4.3         6.1
Attn(dB):     23.7         0.0
Pwr(dBm):     11.6         2.0

Maybe a Talk Talk rep could comment on why Talk Talk choose not to use the speed profile

Is it due to wanting greater stability for a line or is it possably a good way to do a little back door throttling to save bandwith over the Talk Talk network ??

I can only guess my remaining TT line would also improve if I was to move it to an ISP who used a faster NGA profile.

I hope this info is of use to others

Community Team

Hi

Whilst fibre services terminate at the local cabinet and copper line is still part of the circuit from the cabinet to the house, a normal profile is the preferred option to ensure the service is stable and reliable.   

Copper sections of the line are more susceptible to external interference, weather related issues and general wear.  This therefore is the best profile option for the majority of customers.   This may change in the future if we are able to move to Fibre to the premises.

Thanks

Karl. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Karl

Thanks for your answer, but while you feel most customers want a "normal profile" some may like to get a choice, why not give them the choice if they want it ??

You could if you wished move my remaining line to a faster NGA profile it would maybe help you retain a customer

Anth101
Wizz Kid

obvious no reply to that as they shafting people with this crappy fibre and the cowboys network