Talktalk sent me an unsolicited offer of an engineer's visit to increase my broadband speed. I took up the offer. He came a couple of weeks ago and installed a new master socket. My speed did not improve from 24 Mbps download / 8 upload, as it was before. At least, things didn't get worse.
Today the landline is not working. There is no dialling tone. If you call it, it goes to voice mail. Broadband is working and I thought of running a speed test. It has reduced to 4 Mbps download / 1 Mbps upload on a number of different tests (as if I am not on Fast Fibre broadband).
What could be the reason?
Thanks for your post, sorry that you are having problems.
If you would like us to look into this, please can you update your community profile to include your home telephone number, we will then be able to have a look at your account.
To do this go into 'my settings' then 'personal information' then add your details.
I had a chat with Talktalk support, who tried various things. They are sending an OpenReach engineer on Thursday (2nd May) to my home.
BT Open Reach came on 2nd May. The engineer discovered that the problem lies somewhere outside the house, 33 metres away. He lifted up two covers in neighbours' front gardens (it's an open plan estate) and couldn't find the fault. He then said that they would sent someone from their "trace and track" service (or some such name) to locate it. That engineer came the next day, had a good look round, drew some lines on the pavement, and marked a spot with two large squares. Then the bank holiday intervened. So I am now waiting today for more progress.
The landline has been dead all the time. Broadband download speed is about 2 Mbps, but occasionally it cuts out altogether.
Thanks for keeping us updated.
The engineer should be working on this fault today. If you don't hear back from BT Openreach today then please let us know and we can chase for further updates.
Nothing appeared to happen on Tuesday 7th May, but this morning workers from Highway Maintenance came and have dug down at the square on the pavement marked by Open Reach. They told me that they have exposed the cables that Open Reach need to look at. So now it's up to Open Reach.
Open Reach came this morning and have fixed the fault. I am now getting 9 Mbps download, as compared to 24 before the fault, but the engineer says that the speed will pick up gradually. Thank you for the responses on this forum.
Thanks for keeping us updated. Now the fault has been resolved then DLM should start to increase the speed.
If you add your TalkTalk telephone number to your Community Profile then I can check the connection stats and speed.
Thank you for updating your Community Profile.
Your line is showing in sync at 40mb. Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test following this?
It was already at 26 Mbps this morning before I saw your message. I then powered off the router, even taking out the power plug, and left it off for one hour. After that the speed is still the same as before the switch off, measured using three speed checkers.
At least I am back to where I was before the fault. I have heard this figure of 40 Mbps before from an engineer, but it has never reached 30.
The Highways men have just filled the hole and I am still all right!
I forgot to mention that I am testing from a desktop PC using a powerline adaptor. So it not over wi-fi. The router is downstairs and the PC is upstairs.
I could test on my laptop over wi-fi, but presumably that can't be faster.
I have tried the laptop now, which is over wi-fi, but still remaining in the upstairs room where the desktop is. The speed results are exactly the same as on the desktop (although, fleetingly during a test, I thought I saw 40).
I have now tried the laptop placed next to the router. The speed rose to 30, consistently. But I am now sure that momentarily during the test I saw 43.