Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Laptop gets stuck booting on SagemCom router

24 REPLIES 24
ellipher
Popular Poster

Hello,

I have a new Windows 10 laptop that when connected to my SagemCom router gets stuck booting and won't connect to VPN.  It gets stuck on the Welcome screen and you have to turn off the router, turn off the laptop and then it boots fine. My old laptop connected to the SagemCom router and same VPN service fine and there are no problems with other devices in the household. The new laptop also connects to other non-TalkTalk routers and connections fine.

I tried calling Customer Services and had an awful call with someone who wasn't listening, didn't care, and wouldn't put me through to their manager. Distressing.

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star

How does the laptop connect to the router, via a wired or wireless connection? What happens if you keep the WiFi or Ethernet connection disconnected, or disabled on the laptop's boot up.

If it boots OK like this, then all I can do is ask TalkTalk to consider a replacement router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

ellipher
Popular Poster

Hello Keith,

It's a wireless connection. If the router is off, the laptop boots perfectly fine.

Thanks,

Eloise

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Eloise

Apologies for this.

I've checked and your router has the latest firmware version. I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

ellipher
Popular Poster

Hello Debbie,

That would be great, thank you!

OCE_Debbie

Hi Eloise

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

ellipher
Popular Poster

Hello Debbie,

The router just arrived and I tried it out. Unfortunately, the result is the same - just as above. Is it possible to try a different router? I've seen a different model mentioned in other posts.

Thanks

OCE_Chris

Hi ellipher,

Does the laptop have anything on screen when it gets stuck booting up?

Chris

ellipher
Popular Poster

Hello Chris,

It just says "Welcome" and the circle goes round and round and round....

Thanks

OCE_Chris

OK thanks. I can send a different make and model of router, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

ellipher
Popular Poster

Hello Chris,

Yes please! Thanks

OCE_Chris

Hi ellipher,

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Chris

ellipher
Popular Poster

Hello Chris,

Got the new router - thank you. It's an improvement - I can connect to VPN ok and if I lock the laptop while connected I can log in again without it getting stuck. But I still can't restart if I shut down while connected to the router. It just hangs.

Thanks

OCE_Chris

Hi ellipher,

Glad to hear there's been some improvement. When  the laptop is booting up does it automatically connect to the VPN or do you connect manually once the Windows desktop loads?

Chris

ellipher
Popular Poster

Hello Chris,

I connect manually once the laptop boots. 

It’s not just the VPN. The laptop won’t start if connected to the router when you shut down. 

thanks 

OCE_Chris

OK thanks. As this is happening with two different routers and I haven't seen anyone else reporting the same issue, I can only really see this being a problem with the laptop. If you connect the laptop to the router by Ethernet cable, do you experience the same issue?

Chris

OCE_Chris

Hi ellipher,

How are you getting on, did you manage to test with the Ethernet cable?

Chris

ellipher
Popular Poster

Hello Chris,

It's the same with the ethernet cable.

I take your point that it must be the laptop if it's happening with two different routers but I don't have this issue with non-TalkTalk connections so it must be related.

Thanks

OCE_Chris

OK thanks. Does the same thing happen every time or are there some occasions when it will boot OK?

Chris

ellipher
Popular Poster

Every time!