cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Large files uploading kills download speed, and HG633 Firmware not up to date.

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
EvilDrPorkChop
Popular Poster

I've got a HG633 and issues when uploading large files. My iCloud photo library is trying to upload however when it is doing this my download speed is nearly nothing and i'm unable to browse webpages (Even just Google). On some research i've found that another member has had the same issue with the same router on this discussion - 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Uploading-large-files-kills-the-internet/td-p/23...

I'm unable to upload my photo library because of this as the internet is unuseable - I can't leave it running in the background as it kills the whole connection. 

On some further investigation I've found my router firmware is also not up to date, when it's supposed to update automatically. 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi EvilDrPorkChop,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've just checked and the router has the latest version of firmware (I'm not sure when this updated) Are you still experiencing this issue at the moment?

Thanks

Highlighted
EvilDrPorkChop
Popular Poster
Yes I am, the problem isn’t getting any better.

The router is on version 1.01, I thought the HG633 was up to about 2.xx now....
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi EvilDrPorkChop,

1.01 is the hardware version, your firmware version it 2.00t which is the latest version

Has this only just started happening or has it always been a problem?

Chris

Highlighted
EvilDrPorkChop
Popular Poster
No it has been an issue in the past, I have a NAS drive which backups overnight however this is set during the night so it doesn’t affect our connection - plus it only uploads little files so doesn’t affect it long.

The issue has only become apparent more since we are trying to upload our photo library.
Highlighted
Community Team

OK thanks, sorry I'm not that familiar with iCloud, do you know if it has any sort of upload manager that would enable you to manage the upstream bandwidth available to it?

Chris

Highlighted
EvilDrPorkChop
Popular Poster

No it doesn’t, it’ll self manage based on the speeds. It doesn’t get away from the fact when I try to upload anything, iCloud or other files it kills our internet. 

Highlighted
Community Team

OK thanks, I can send a different make and model of router to test with, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

Highlighted
EvilDrPorkChop
Popular Poster
Yes that would be perfect, thanks. Is there any cost?
Highlighted
Community Team

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery (there's no charge for the router)

Chris

Highlighted
EvilDrPorkChop
Popular Poster
Thanks, that’s great. I’ll update on the situation once the new router is up and running.
Highlighted
Highlighted
EvilDrPorkChop
Popular Poster
Just to update - new router arrived last Saturday - fantastic service! 

Given it the course of a week just to be sure but it solved the upload issue straight away. iCloud library uploaded within a couple of hours - seeming the previous week it had taken 7 days to do 20%. 

However there are some downsides, we were getting a consistent 35mbps down on the old router now its hovering around 28/29 and it's at it's lowest of 26 tonight. The upload has gone up from 6mbps to about 8.5mbps though. 
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi EvilDrPorkChop

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that your line is in sync at 28.4mb. The sync speed may start to increase again if the connection remains stable and errors are low.

Please can you leave the router switched on without rebooting and post back on this thread in 48hrs? We can then check the connection stats again.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
EvilDrPorkChop
Popular Poster

Ok will leave on for 48 hours without a reboot and see if it makes a difference. Thanks. 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi EvilDrPorkChop

Thank you. Please can you post back on this thread tomorrow and we can check the connection stats again.

Debbie

Highlighted
EvilDrPorkChop
Popular Poster

Speed still is hovering around 26 mbps after being on for a full 48 hours...

speedtest.png

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi EvilDrPorkChop,

Thanks. I've re-checked the connection stats and the sync speed hasn't increased. Does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

Highlighted
EvilDrPorkChop
Popular Poster
Yes it does.

However there is no extensions, it’s an MK4 faceplate and on the old router was fine running at 33 to 36 without any issues.

Thanks
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi EvilDrPorkChop,

Ok, would you like us to send another HG633 router for testing purposes to see how the sync speed compares?

Thanks