Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Last Ditch Resolution Attempt Before Leaving

35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Chat Champion

Good evening everyone, I thought I would have one last ditch attempt at getting a service issue resolved in the community before I wave bye bye to Talktalk,  so here goes 🙂 

Keeping things as brief as possible (although the whole story is of biblical proportions) my FTTC service has been slower than my guaranteed min speed for over 1yr thanks to an Openreach engineers failure to reset the DLM after a fault repair and then TT's subsequent unwillingness to do anything about it.

A couple of weeks ago my speed plummeted even further after another OR engineer did some work on my neighbours line then when it finally recovered (of sorts) the DLM has now pinched another 3 meg off me.

After a 2.5 hr argument with the wonderfully inept TT technical team I was promised an engineer visit within 72 hrs. 5 days later (no engineer visit) and in a phone call with tech support I'm told the fault is fixed except it wasn't and I had previously received an e-mail from TT apologising that their engineer couldn't fix the fault.

Bring on another epic discussion & the usual "we need to run tests" excuse patter and then I'm told TT have now booked a visit from OR which will happen within 72 hrs. 5 days later and guess what??

My basic question is what exactly (Other than change providers) do I have to do to get a simple fault resolved?  

Highlighted
Team Player

I feel your pain! Why on earth do TT publish guaranteed speeds and then when they fail to meet them - like ALL the time, don't listen or do anything to fix the issues?  The service centre reps are appalling - I wonder if they have Master Socket tattooed on their foreheads as that is all they go on about. IMHO TT have underfunded their exchange equipment for years and now that there is a huge demand for their service they cannot meet that demand. Their tagline should be 'TalkTalk, getting away with ripping customers off since dial up'. Now they hide behind Covid 19 so they don't have to answer. No way would I recommend them to anyone!!

Highlighted
Chat Champion

There may be some light at the end of the tunnel as I have actually been given a booking slot for a brightsparks engineer. Assuming they actually arrive, if it's the same team that came out last time they won't do anything other than scratch their heads and then say "You need an Openreach engineer mate" but at least they can organise that so here's hoping.

For me Ofcom should ban all providers from referring to average speeds as it's a totally irrelevant figure they all use to lure you in. They should only be able to quote you real time estimated speeds and a guaranteed minimum one.

One provider I was just looking at swapping to promised me 63 meg average and 55meg guaranteed min - Quite remarkable given the lines in the village where I live can't support more than circa 40meg!!

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Theguitarman

I'm really sorry for the delay.

We can investigate this fault for you via the Community. Would you prefer to wait for the engineer to complete their investigations or would you like us to investigate this for you?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Debbie,

I might as well wait until the engineer has visited to see what they say.

I've had so many tests run on my line and the TT system always reports no problems found so that's probably not a route I will go down again for this particular issue.

I've tried 4 different routers and everyone of them syncs to the line at exactly the same speed so I'm now 100% certain the system has limited my connection and the only way I will get it re-set is either via Openreach or by changing provider (I'm advised a full reset is done automatically then).

The visit is booked for early on Thursday morning, I'm not holding my breath but I will update you 🙂

Mike 

Highlighted

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Debbie 🙂

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Good morning Debbie,

Just to keep you updated the engineer arrived as promised this morning and after running some tests he confirmed that my line is showing an issue on the downstream side and also that it has been limited by the DLM.

He has reported it back to TT for escalation to Openreach and advised me that Openreach should respond within 3 days.(I assume they respond to TT)

I'm not sure if I'm meant to hear something back from TT to confirm what happens next or do I just sit and wait, could you confirm that?

I was advised by one of your online support team that if a fault report sits dormant for 7 days they automatically close the ticket (which they have done to me twice now) so I just want to make sure something is happening.

Regards,

Mike

Highlighted

Hi Mike

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I've checked the fault ticket and I can see that the next step will be to arrange an Openreach visit. I can progress this for you and book the visit. Will this be ok?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

That would be great if you can Debbie.

If they need access to my property etc there's someone around everyday so you can book it for whenever suits.

Cheers

Mike

Highlighted

Hi Mike

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can arrange this visit for you.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Mike

Can I just check, do you have your Private Message enabled? (switched on)

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Only just read this sorry Debbie, where do I check or change that setting?

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I've found it - It was disabled but it's on now 😊

Regards,

Mike

Highlighted

Hi

PM Sent.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted

Hi Mike

Thank you for the Private Message.

The engineer visit has been arranged for 18/05 AM (8am - 1pm) This was the first available appointment.

We have asked the engineer to complete testing on the line outside the property and at the cabinet first, if access is still required then the engineer should contact you to discuss this further.

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for arranging this visit, you never know I might actually get the problem resolved 🙂

I'll update you on Monday evening.

Regards,

Mike

Highlighted
Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Debbie,

The Openreach engineer visit happened as planned but as expected it didn't really amount to much.

It seems the speed to the cabinet is ok so I take it that would be +40 meg given that used to be my max reported speed and still is on my neighbours line. The speed arriving at my house is around 31 meg at the external connection point which equated to a sync speed of 26 meg when using your equipment.

The OR engineer provided all the usual scripted blurb about distance to the cabinet resulting in a loss of speed but was obviously unable to explain why only my property is affected by this huge distance (maybe 1/4 of mile tops) or how come I've dropped from a max line speed of 44meg to now 31 meg when the distance to the cabinet is unchanged - I guess he wouldn't want to admit that the quality of my copper line has diminished to a level which has resulted in this speed loss.

He did reset the DLM which made no difference to your router but did allow my own equipment to just about sync back up to 29 meg again but with a max reported line speed of 30 meg so from past experiences this will probably drop over the coming days.

I assume you will be unable to take any further action regarding this as the mighty OR have spoken but could you confirm that please?

Also I don't know if you are able to advise what would happen if I requested a 2nd line into my property in terms of speeds etc? I spoke with a Plusnet customer who had similar issues to mine and eventually paid for a 2nd line (with a speed guarantee) which resolved the issue.

In the meantime I will arrange to test the boosted 4g equipment I have been looking at with a view to getting rid of the sub standard copper rubbish I am currently sentenced to.

Regards,

Mike    

Highlighted

Hi Mike

I'm really sorry to hear this.

All we can do is pass this to Openreach but I suspect that they will advise the same thing.

You could speak to our sales team about a 2nd line, however I think this would provide the same predicted speed range.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Debbie,

I have no problem with you going back to Openreach if you think it worthwhile. Unfortunately I couldn't be here for the visit yesterday so I was having to communicate via a third party . If I had been hear the discussions would have been very different but no use crying over spilt milk I guess.

I don't know if you are able to communicate with OR or not but I will not accept any excuse they offer which relates to the distance between my house and the fibre cabinet. I have actual screen shots taken in February showing my router reporting a max line speed circa 38meg but with a sync of 29999meg (now confirmed as being DLM limited) and you will find these figures in some of our exchanges in the community.

I also have line data from back in 2017 showing my actual sync speed at 39973 meg so I can disprove any suggestion that the issue is just  distance related with physical evidence.

Before the TT engineer came last week your tech guys asked me to re-install the TT hub to avoid any queries over my equipment which I did. Before doing so I took a screen shot of my own router reporting line stats of 33.5 max and 27.6 actual (again the actual sync was DLM limited according to the TT guy.

After the OR visit and DLM reset yesterday that same router is now reporting 29.3 actual but the max has dropped to 30.5 so if you consider the underlying line stats figures the OR engineer appears to have actually made my line worse but the DLM removal make it appear improved.

Regards,

Mike