Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Last Ditch Resolution Attempt Before Leaving

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Mike

I've had another look at the engineers notes and they have only advised that the line tests were all passing and they closed the fault with - service demonstrated working ok.

As DLM has only recently been reset it may be worth allowing DLM a few days to continue to monitor the connection and make changes to the line profile.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Debbie,

I will be testing this 'other' system for a little while so I have no real issue leaving the DLM to settle and see what happens although the OR engineer indicated this wasn't necessary (Mind you I didn't agree with anything else he stated so I guess I should take his opinion of the DLM system with a pinch of salt 🙂 )

Just for the record I believe they demonstrated 31 meg to the box outside my house so they seem to have a different view to me regarding what is considered "Ok". Personally I would say anything below the guaranteed min speed to my router isn't ok and the OR engineer could not produce better than 27 meg at that point using the TT provided router. It's only getting 29 now because I've invested in better quality equipment which in fairness I shouldn't have to do.

Regards,

Mike

Highlighted

Hi Mike

Ok, I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 29.3mb.

Please can you leave the router switched on and we will check this again on Friday, just to see if DLM has made any changes to the profile.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Yes that's fine Debbie,

I will take a screen shot again from my end on Friday morning but can you let me know once you have what you need as I will need to disconnect this router so I can run my 4g test equipment through it?

Obviously if by some some minor miracle my speed has come back up to an acceptable level then I'll leave it connected.😂 

If I do disconnect it (after Friday)  I'll leave it off for a while so I don't upset the DLM. Last time I managed to get a speed increase was after I did all the re-wiring work on the power supplies if you remember and that time I had left the router offline for a few hours 🙂 

Highlighted

Hi Mike

Thank you. I will post back on Friday once I've checked the connection stats.

Debbie 🙂

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Ok no problem Debbie. It's early days yet but after 24hrs the reported Max line speed has already dropped by 1 meg so it's now down to 29.5 with actual sync still hanging on at 29.3. - The line errors are also higher than pre Openreach visit so not looking good at the min 😣

Highlighted

Hi Mike

Apologies for this. I will check again first thing on Friday but let me know if things get worse before then.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Debbie,

I'm not sure if you looked at my line stats today as planned or not however I have been monitoring them over the last few days and while the headline connection speeds might look ok(ish) the underlying picture is a little more concerning.

I'll try to be brief but basically the sync speed has hovered around the 29meg mark since the OR visit but I've experienced 4 disconnects which I haven't seen for a couple of months (oddly since the OR visit to a neighbour).

Tonight the sync has now dropped back to 28.9 meg with a max speed of 29.8 so I'm not sure if the DLM is now starting to slow the connection down again but I suspect it is.

On top of that prior to the OR visit I have a screen shot showing a stable connection for over 8 days with an error packet total of a few hundred. Yesterday the stats showed around +4000 errors in 10 hrs so I would say the OR guy has made things worse.

All this is using my 3rd party router which I have already proven to be both faster and more stable than the TT hub so if I swap back to your equipment I'm pretty sure the router will start disconnecting on a regular basis (Again) and that the DLM will limit the line speed (Again).

Can you advise if I swap back to the equipment TT and the above scenario happens will you be able to arrange another visit from OR? Preferably from someone who knows what they are doing? 

I wouldn't say the TT landline service is poor but for the record I got my 4G test up to 32 / 20 today and have not finished playing with the system yet!

Regards,

Mike 

Highlighted

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry for the delay and I'll take a look now. I've re-run the line test which hasn't detected a fault, however the line is not in sync. Is your router currently switched off?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Michelle,

Sorry I have not had the router connected for a while as I wanted to stress test the 4G system I'm looking at swapping over to.

The landline router is now back on but it may be better to leave it for a while as it usually looks ok then gradually slows down after a long period offline.

At the time of reconnecting from my side the actual & theoretical sync values were identical at 31151 but the attenuation has risen to 22 (from 15 where is usually sits) and the noise margin is a little lower than usual at 5.6.

Last time I had figures like this the speed gradually dropped off but I'll keep an eye on it through the day and let you know what happens.

I'm not sure I would bother with the remote line tests as the TT system has failed to detect them all so far 🙂  The OR engineer has already said there is no fault on the line and the problem is distance, when asked to explain the loss of over 8 meg with no change in distance he seemed to struggle to find a plausible excuse 🙂 

Regards,

Mike

Highlighted

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update. How have you found the connection since your last post?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Michelle,

The router showed another disconnection overnight but on re-connecting the theoretical max line speed has gone up and is currently reporting as being 34meg which is the highest it's been for a while. Maybe I should leave it disconnected for 12 hrs more often 🙂

In real terms the actual connected sync speed is sitting at 30.1 and a speed test showed around 29meg over a wired connection. All the other line stats are more or less unchanged from the other day and the line has been stable apart from the one overnight disconnect.

I will keep checking it periodically and give you an update in a few days if you like?

Regards,

Mike

Highlighted
Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Michelle,

As promised a brief update on my connection issues.

The connection has been stable for nearly 6 days now will all the stats more or less as per my last update so still stuck at 30meg actual sync etc.

One of your competitors has done an excellent article on the how the DLM actually works and to be fair over the past few months between us we have not done my line any favours.

I now understand why I get disconnects around 2-3 in the morning and also how the DLM timing system works so there is a slim chance I may be able to get an increase towards 34 meg if the line remains stable for another 3 days.

I will update you again later in the week all being well.

Regards,

Mike 

Highlighted

Hi Mike,

Ok thanks for the update and we'll wait to hear back from you.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Michelle,

I had another overnight disconnect nearly 3 days ago and the line has pretty much now returned to where it was a couple of months ago, so with a max line speed advised at 35.5 meg but the sync speed fixed at the magic DLM limited 29999.

I understand there are three DLM profiles which a service provider can choose which prioritise either speed, a balance or stability. Are you able to advise which profile my line is using?

Regards,

Mike