cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Last week I upgraded to super-fast fibre. But this happened…..

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Popular Poster

My speeds (Mbps)

Before upgrade:

Download 36.5

Upload 9.6

After upgrade:

Download 36.6 (tested 10 times over 10 days – this is the average, using TT and Google tests)

Upload 18.6

I signed up on the promise of:

<73.6 > and <55.6 > Mbps with minimum guaranteed download speed is <50.6 > Mbps

Tech team has no idea why it has not improved.

Why would upload improve, but not download?

There has been no change to my equipment. 

Feels like someone did not flip the switch somewhere.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Ian771 your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear shortly. Did you try a 30 minutes reboot? It often gets things going, just once though. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi

"30 minutes reboot?"  Nobody mentioned that.  Is that just turning off router / power for 30 minutes?  If so - is there a good time to do that?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Ian771, no guarantees but it has worked for me in the past. As for timing, any time you are not going to get earache from the rest of the household.

Only try it once though as the dreaded DLM could interpret it as a problem and slow things down even more. 

Good luck, would appreciate hearing how you get on. 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks

Sorry, please confirm - is this turned off the power on the router for 30 minutes?

And what is DLM?

Risk of slowing down more sounds risky!  Not sure about this now!  

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Ian771 sorry didn't mean to worry you. Just power down the router, pull the plug out the wall.

DLM is an acronym for dynamic line monitoring. It checks lot of things and adjusts your connection accordingly, if it sees too many disconnections it slows things down till the line stabilises, then edges the speeds back up. 1 power down is not enough to trigger it but multiples in a day could. 

The 30minute power down causes the router reestablish a new updated connection which could include your upgrade. 

If there is no improvement the team will know to try something else on Monday. 

If you are worried don't stress, just wait till Monday, not a problem. 😊

Highlighted
First Timer

I'm in exactly the same position here Ian with upload and download speeds after the super-fast upgrade.  Online chat has wasted a lot of time and not helped so be interested to hear how you get on.

Please keeps posted

Cheers,

Calum

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks @Divsec  

When you say "no guarantee" and "could" -  cannot risk anything going wrong.

Tech team meant to call me at 2pm on Sunday.  Got tired of waiting for an hour, so off to walk the dog. 

I guess a question for you - if I got the boost/upgrade and the upload speed doubled, but download, no change.  Surely that means my equipment is fine.  It is probably something on their side?

Thanks

Ian  

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Ian771 don't worry I'm naturally cautious. Just wait for the tech team, answering your question logic often fails with so much tech involved. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Ian771

When a speed boost is applied, you should power off the router for 30 minutes.  This allows the current session to close and when turned back on, the router will establish a new session with the exchange equipment and should sync at a higher rate.

Give this a try, and also add your home phone number to your Community Profile so I can check everything looks ok at this end.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl @OCE_Karl 

Thanks, looks like that has fixed the problem. 

That is great, but what is not great, if this is the standard and recommended fix when upgrading, why have I had to waste 2 hours of my time over 5 days and deal with 4 different employees?  Surely, your staff should tell you to power down the route for 30 minutes when you upgrade!?

Please can you let me know where I can now send my invoice to bill you for my time!

Thanks

Ian

Highlighted
First Timer

glad to hear it's fixed Ian.  I also powered my router down for 30 minutes and i've got the speed fixed as well.  I had powered my router down for 30 minutes several times over the last three weeks to no effect but it worked this time.  Somebody for sure did something but as you say there was nothing in the hours that was wasted on the chat line that gave any clue as to what was going on behind the scenes.  Bit frustrating really.

Cheers,

Calum

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Ian771

Apologies for this. Our Customer Service Team should have advised if the speed didn't increase to try a 30 minute power down of the router.

Thanks

Debbie