Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Lesson learned

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Team Player

Nothing lasts forever... 

I have had TalkTalk superfast Fibre BB for 3 months now.. after an initial hiccup..(losing connection/drop outs) It got sorted very quickly and then stable. I have had very good service in the house.. till this morning. slow slow

I did a test and weirdly got 1Mb download and 17Mb upload on Ethernet. better but not much on WiFi.. converted all of my PCs to WiFi (USB dongles)

I use powerline adapters and all had the house Symbol lit up in Red.. What? My house ring main wiring is suddenly in poor condition (the usual symptom)?.. I have a selection of adapters .. three TalkTalk and two Devolos. So I'm going around the house trying the powerline adapters in various sockets to see which is better/worse.  Oddly there is no consistency... sometimes they display red (fault) and other times green/yellow

Finally I swapped the main (pass through) Devolo out by the router and suddenly all of the others worked properly one by one when put in a socket.. all Green/yellow lights. and 35 DL  17UL everywhere there is an adapter. It is unfortunate that it was the pass through powerline adapter that was faulty and upsetting the mains connection.. There are never enough sockets by a router and my three way mains adapters interfere with the socket face plate on/off switch. Can push in fully or it turns the socket off.

So a big issue solved without recourse to an engineer in the end and saved an expensive call out.

Found two powerline adapters online, with the benefit of twin Ethernet ports; saves me getting my hub/switch out every time i want to try another Ethernet connected PC for testing.

The whole thing turned out nothing like I had first imagined. Might help someone here.

Back to full speed.😀

router. Sagecom FAST 5364-3.T8
Hardware Version FAST5364 3.00
Software Version SG4K10002808t
GUI Version 3.7.8
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Grazuncle7

Thanks for your post. Your line is now showing in sync at 70.3mb.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Star

Now that you have removed the faulty PLA and all is OK, I am unsure what you want help with, perhaps you could clarify this?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi.

As my finishing line says

It may help someone here.

GUI Version 3.7.8
Highlighted
Community Star

Sorry for misreading that part of your post. The forum has been absolutely manic this weekend.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Team Player
No problem.. most forums seem to attract only problems..

it can be some person's 'only' reason to post... and not come back afterwards. No problem with that.

However i like it when someone finds an answer first .. LOL
GUI Version 3.7.8
Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks Debbie

what would we expect to get at our devices then? i'm getting a nice 35Mb.. Perhaps other devices are affecting the at device speed?..

i know we have many more devices online that we thought 😀

GUI Version 3.7.8
Highlighted

Hi Grazuncle7

Throughput speed is usually around 80% of the sync speed.

Can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

well.. it helped!

I'm now getting 43 DL and nearly 19UL just for resting and restarting the router.

perhaps my Powerline stuff is not so good/older.

I have two 1Gb powerline adapters coming.. I'll disconnect all of the old stuff and do a test using just them, then.

can't say I'm unhappy though with what I have.😁

The biggest problem most people seem to have is getting toilet paper!🙄

GUI Version 3.7.8
Highlighted

Hi Grazuncle7

Thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

What speed do you receive if you run a wired speed test?

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

I'm getting very nearly the same wired via Powerline adapter as WiFi.... 38-42 DL

If I had an ethernet cable long enough for the main PC I would rather use that..

I only have one laptop with an Ethernet connection so i fired that up and plugged it into the router direct and got 60Mb!

Another lesson learned.. my powerline adapters are still the bottleneck.. and the other lesson: Do not assume anything!

LOL

I'm chuffed to know that the possibilities are there. I just need to fix  my own home network infrastructure, not TalkTalk's

Thanks Debbie.. I wouldn't have tried this without your inspiration.

GUI Version 3.7.8
Highlighted

Hi Grazuncle7,

Thanks for the update, I hope your speeds improve with the new PLA's 

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

another update...

I have the BT Mini connector 1Gb PLAs now...

struggled to get them to pair with the older TalkTalk PLAs and the single Devolo (200Mb) It didn't work well at all and very low speed on the one (Devolo) that did pair.

Finally decided to forget pairing the BT ones to the old sync and did it the other way round... First I paired the BT PLAs and once I knew they were ok I just paired the rest to the BT PLAs instead.. worked a LOT easier that way round.

Results?  I have got up to 49Mb on my main pc with the BT Mini connector PLAs and around 19Mb with the TalkTalk PLAs in the same mains socket to my main pc.

The Talk PLAs will be ok for my wife's very occasional second PC use (email/browsing) and will be fine for online catch-up for the TalkTalk youview box. all of the WiFi stuff is still the same.. i.e. very good

I'm only posting this information because a lot of sites say the BT mini connectors (PLAs) do not pair with other makes of PLAs... And one sites said all PLAs should follow the same protocols.

These didn't pair the way i wanted them to (to my existing encryption) but did the other way round.

Might help someone... Happy regardless. 

GUI Version 3.7.8
Highlighted

Hi Grazuncle7,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks