cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Line attenuation too high can I get it reset?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Participant

Hi, I have just added a speed boost to my fibre connection and the increase is hardly noticeable. It is currently running at 45732 with a maximum of 52067 but the Attenuation is currently 18.80db can I ask someone to reset this to 6.0db? Thanks in advance, David

Begbroke Brauny
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi drbraun,

We can't manually reset the speed for a fibre connection as this is managed by DLM. Have you tried switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then retested the throughput speed to see how it compares?

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Michelle, Yes I have done this and it made a small increase but not sufficient to notice. Looks like the speed boost might as well go then. I am surprised because Vodafone give a minimum 55Mbps guarantee on my home phone number. Just to be sure you are saying there is nothing that can be done to improve the speed?

Begbroke Brauny
Highlighted

Hi drbraun,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Does your master socket have a test socket? Would it be possible to monitor the connection for a further 48hrs to see if DLM starts to increase the sync speed any further?

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant

My master socket is an Openreach Mk2 the dual type and it has a seperate socket for broadband that requires no filtering. I don't believe there is a test socket as such but it is already isolated from my home telephone circuit.

Begbroke Brauny
Highlighted

Hi drbraun,

Do you have any extension sockets? Just to confirm, when did you add the boost?

Thanks

Highlighted
Philosopher
Attenuation is FIXED, it is a factor of the length and quality of your line.

If the Downstream Noise Margin is showing at around 6dB then your line is performing at the best speed possible for the profile TT use on the Openreach DLM system.

Your filtered faceplate COULD be an issue, so if you have a test socket behind it, connecting there may see an improvement, don't forget to use a microfilter !
Martin
Highlighted
Participant

No extension sockets on the broadband connection, the boost was activated on Sunday night so it has been running for more than 48 hours. As I said I did disconnect for more than 1 hour to give the best chance of a speed increase.

Begbroke Brauny
Highlighted
Participant

I have connected to the test socket (with a filter) and to make sure my telephony equipment is excluded I have not connected any of it. At the moment the line rate is unchanged but do I have to leave disconnected for a further 35 minutes or just leave it connected this way for 48 hours?

Begbroke Brauny
Highlighted

Hi drbraun,

Thanks for connecting to the test socket. Can you leave it connected for 48 hours and we'll see if DLM makes any changes. 

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Some ISP's use a profile with a target S/N of 3dB could Talk talk not do the same ?