Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Losing connection and slow speeds on HG633

76 REPLIES 76
M Lynn
Conversation Starter

Hi, I've been on fibre for about 5 months and it was fine to begin with, I was getting around 38-39 Mbps down and 10Mbps up. For the last 2-3 months it has often been losing connection and slowing down. I can see from the router stats page that both connection rates are low.

Prior to fibre, I rarely had any problems and always had maximum connection rates.

I have had the router connected to the master socket since 3pm on Friday 9th November and it has been constantly switched on since then. I have also tried it with a different filter previous to that.

Here is a copy of my router stats page at the time of posting:

Internet Connection

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
WAN IP Address:
Primary DNS Server:
Secondary DNS Server:

Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved
DSL up-time:
0 days 15 hours 48 minutes 17 seconds
Community Team

Hi

The broadband speed has dropped.

I am picking up a high resistance on the line.

Can you check the home phone for any noise on the line ?

Also, do you have a Test Socket and if so, connect the router direct to this so I can retest.

Thanks

Karl. 

M Lynn
Conversation Starter

Hi, as I said, it's been connected to the master socket since Friday. The faceplate has been removed and it's in the test socket. That's the only socket in the house.

What do you mean by noise on the line? I rarely have a phone plugged into the socket but I have just connected one. The line sounds ok with maybe the odd crackle but nothing I would consider too abnormal.

Community Team

Hi

The broadband shares part of the line with the phone. Any noise on the line can impact the broadband service.

When you say the odd crackle, is this more of a permanent crackle that you can hear every time you listen to the handset ?

Thanks

Karl. 

M Lynn
Conversation Starter

Yeah, I've just had another listen to it and I would say it's permanent. Is that the sort of thing that would affect fibre more than normal dsl?

Community Team

Hi

Even with fibre, the line from the cabinet to the house is copper, and this is the section that is shared between the 2 services, so any line noise will cause the broadband to drop.

I'll need to raise this to BT Openreach as a line issue rather than a broadband issue so this can be fixed and the line cleared.

With any engineer request, no matter what the fault, they always make a blanket set of T&C's.  I'll drop you a PM with the info required for the booking.

Karl.

Thanks

Karl. 

Community Team

Hi

The next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, to do this can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

To confirm you're the account holder can you PM (Personal Message) me with the following information: 

• Full Name
  • Home telephone number
  • Are you the account holder
  • 1st and 3rd characters of your password
  • If password is unknown, confirm the below:
  • How do we send the bills to you each month
  • email address

Note: Please do not post personal information directly in the Forums.

Thanks

Karl. 

M Lynn
Conversation Starter

So reading that, it says I could be charged if no fault is found. Given that I didn't have any line problems in the past 11 years before I switched to fibre, I'm not too sure about being potentially charged for not finding a fault. I'm not keen on paying for something that wasn't there or nothing to do with me.

Community Team

Hi

The conditions are made by openreach for all faults, as they have never been involved in any diagnostics or spoken to you, so when a fault is reported they will always make this condition to make sure they are being sent out for a fault.

If you can here a crackle on the line then a fault exists and the only way to have this rectified is to progress to Openreach.

They will make these conditions to all suppliers and customers.

Thanks

Karl. 

M Lynn
Conversation Starter

It is crackling although it's not permanent.

Ok then if you can drop me a PM I'll send you the necessary details and go ahead with that. I want to make it clear though that I'm not going to pay any charges that arise from this if they don't find a fault on the line. Thanks.

Community Team

Hi

Our line tests are picking up a fault, that combined with the crackling you can hear on the line is evident enough that a fault exists.

I'll re-send the PM now.

Thanks

Karl. 

Community Team

Hi

The next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, to do this can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

To confirm you're the account holder can you PM (Personal Message) me with the following information: 

• Full Name
  • Home telephone number
  • Are you the account holder
  • 1st and 3rd characters of your password
  • If password is unknown, confirm the below:
  • How do we send the bills to you each month
  • email address

Note: Please do not post personal information directly in the Forums.

Thanks

Karl

M Lynn
Conversation Starter

Ok thanks. It looks like I'm not receiving any PMs as I can't see any of yours for some reason?

Community Team

Hi

Might be an issue with our workflow tool.

I've sent this directly from my profile instead, check now.

Thanks

Karl. 

Community Team

Hi

Booking request placed.  I'll reply here as soon as this is confirmed.

Thanks

Karl. 

M Lynn
Conversation Starter

Ok, thanks.

Community Team

Hi

Appointment has been arranged for Thursday 15th PM (1-6).

Thanks

Karl. 

M Lynn
Conversation Starter

That's fine, thanks.

Community Team

Hi

Please let me know how things are following the engineer visit.

Regards,

Karl. 

M Lynn
Conversation Starter

Yeah will do, thanks.