Need help?

Low broadband speed HG633 version H1.01

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

wired

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi GForce,

Thanks for confirming. The last 3 TT speed tests look more consistent. Are the wireless speeds still much lower? What is your current wireless speed?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Current TT speeds:

25ms// 13.4 download// 0.8 mbps upload

24ms//14.6 download//0.8 mpbs upload

26ms//5.3 download//0.8 mpbs upload

Upload speeds particularly low. Why?

Have been sent a message saying a new router will be sent to me and would be confirmed in a few days.

thank you,

Highlighted

Hi

The max upload speed for DSL is 1mb, so at 0.8mb this is nearer the top end of the scale.

The current sync is showing as 17mb.  I've reset the port to reduce the SNR a little.

When testing wifi speeds, remember, wifi is only as fast as the slowest device, so if you have any older devices that are using b or g standare wifi, make sure these are turned off completely, so not connecting, then test the wifi speeds with a single device that uses 'N' standard wifi and see what speeds you get.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi, can you clarify what your abbreviations mean such as SNR, B, G and N standard.

If I received fibre broadband the download and upload speeds (more than 0.8)  would be better?

Thank you.

Highlighted

Hi

SNR is the Signal to Noise Ratio.  The strength of the signal to overcome any background data noise.

B, G & N are standards of wifi.  As Technology gets better and wifi signals improve, new wifi standars are introduced. So older devices may only be able to connect using the older b or more likely 'g' standard so would be slower than a device capable of using 'N' standard wifi.  And of course, we now have AC standard and the recently released AX standard wifi that some router manufactures are starting to implement.

You may find the following website will gie a better explanantion :  https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/understanding-common-wifi-standards-technology-explained/

Fibre broadband will give better speeds than adsl depending on the distance to your local cabinet. 

Standard fibre will give speeds up to 40mb download and 10mb upload.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE