Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Low speeds, despite paying for Faster Fibre

CasJim
Team Player

Hi, 

new router arrived this morning, thanks for the speedy delivery.

I've plugged it in, directly to the pre-filtered phone socket, and tried a direct connection to the laptop, using the network cable supplied in the new router's box.

Speed test results are very poor though, unfortunately. Screenshot attached...

Does it need time to 'bed in'? Is it a line fault?

James
OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi CasJim

Apologies for the delay.

We advise to allow DLM at least 48hrs to monitor the connection with the replacement router connected.

How has the connection/speed been since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

CasJim
Team Player
Hi Debbie,
I've just run another speed test (laptop directly connected to router LAN port 1):

37mb down
9.42mb up

The connection dropped completely just under an hour ago when I was on a Teams call, so I restarted the router. It's been on OK since,
but as you can see, the speeds still aren't as fast as I'd hope.
James
OCE_Michelle

Hi CasJim,

Thanks for the update. I've re-checked the connection stats and it looks like the sync speed increased and then dropped back down again. Just to confirm, will this new router also not sync at the test socket?

Thanks

CasJim
Team Player
Hi, no, it's the same as before at the test socket.

Thanks
James
OCE_Chris

Hi CasJim,

Your sync speed is dropping, are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

CasJim
Team Player

Hi Chris, 

thanks for the message - it never notified me it was here, hence the delay in replying!

No, there's no problem with the telephone service at all, just the broadband speed.

thanks,

James.

James
CasJim
Team Player

CasJim_0-1610961058082.png

Speed test this morning - this is getting really bad now...

James
CasJim
Team Player

Hi, 

is there any update on this yet please?

thank you.

James
Skynet_TX
Community Star
Hi, I suspect the length of time between the post from @OCE_Chris and your reply might have meant this topic had dropped out of the workflow. I'll escalate this topic again to bring it back to the staffs attention, they should hopefully respond within a working day or two.
CasJim
Team Player
Thanks @Skynet_TX, that'd be great 😀
James
OCE_Debbie

Hi CasJim

I'm really sorry for the delay.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 22.4mb.

Is the router still connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

CasJim
Team Player
Hi Debbie,

the router is still plugged directly into the master socket, not the test socket at the moment.
Does it need to go back in there?
And, 22.4mb? That seems very low when I'm supposedly on the Faster Fibre package, it's below even standard fibre?

thanks,
James.
James
OCE_Debbie

Hi James

Would it be ok to connect the router at the test socket for 48hrs to see if DLM starts to make any changes to the line profile/speed?

Thanks

Debbie

CasJim
Team Player
Hi Debbie,

I've just tried this, but when connected to the test socket there's no internet at all - the phone works OK, but the router just flashes orange continuously and never connects.
I unscrewed the front of the BT socket and put a micro filter in the test socket, then added the phone and router to that - assume that's correct?
I do need the internet connection, such as it is, for work, so I can't afford to have it down for 48 hours unfortunately.
If the orange flashing and lack of internet connection is a fault in itself, please advise.

thanks,
James.
James
Skynet_TX
Community Star

Hi @CasJim,

Based on the image in the document you posted higher up this thread I think there is more of the socket that you need to remove to get to the test socket, you have removed the front panel, this then shows you the section that still has the 'data' socket at the top, and a second socket at the bottom, but that is not the test socket, you need to remove that whole section of socket that has the 'data' port at the top, that should then show another socket underneath, that is the real test socket.

You should not have to remove any more screws, I think that second section just pulls off.

The socket you are trying to use at the moment is filtered to only have a voice signal, so that is why the router does not work in it.

Some images and info here that might help explain the process : http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/

CasJim
Team Player
@Skynet_TX , ahh, thanks so much for that. I was in the front part, on the voice only filtered bit, never realised there was another part behind it, d'oh! 

So,  the router is now connected, via micro filter, to the correct part and the broadband had come back on.

Thanks again for that, we'll see what happens now then...
James
Skynet_TX
Community Star
Cool, you should also be able to plug the phone into the other side of the microfilter if you need to have the phone connected. But if you don't need the phone then best to leave it disconnected. If possible just leave the router connected to the test socket for at least 72 hours without switching it off or disconnecting it, just to see if DLM starts to increase your speeds, as if your speeds do start to go up then this might be an indication of some fault within the section of the socket you have removed, or within some other telephone extension wiring in your home.
CasJim
Team Player

Hi guys, patience getting a little stretched tonight, I mean, come on....

CasJim_0-1612300137794.png

I'm trying to do some work in the evening, and this is shocking.

What is the point of 'upgrading' to the Faster Fibre. May have to consider alternatives at this rate as I can't get anything done...

James
Skynet_TX
Community Star
Are your speeds consistent throughout the day (albeit lower speeds than you should be getting). Or are you getting better speeds than this during the day and then it dips like this in 'peak' time ?