cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Low speeds, despite paying for Faster Fibre

CasJim
Team Player
Probably better through the day, but still lately only as much as around 17MB d/l speed.
There is a dip at the moment, but down to 4? That seems a little excessive!
James
Skynet_TX
Community Star
Significant dips in 'peak' times can be caused by external network capacity issues i.e. the street cabinet can only provide so much bandwidth, and at peak times that is having to be shared out across too many people. However seeing as you are also having slower than expected speeds during 'off peak' times then that would suggest there is something else involved here too.

DLM would only make profile adjustments to your line once a day (in the early hours of the morning), so will be interesting to see if DLM has done anything (good or bad !) based on your router now being in the test socket, hopefully the staff here will report back shortly.
OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi CasJim,

Line test is passing but sync speed is low. To investigate further we'll need to arrange an engineer visit. If you'd like us to go ahead with the engineer visit please let us know and we'll confirm some details

Chris

CasJim
Team Player
Hi Chris,
If you think this is the next step, then yes, please book an engineer visit.
I take it this isn't a chargeable service?

Thanks for your help.
James
OCE_Chris

Hi CasJim,

If you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details 

Chris

CasJim
Team Player
Hi Chris,

PM answered.
I've looked through the engineers charges section and whilst I wouldn't be happy if charged, I see no option but to get an engineer out to look over the problem.
Just want to check - I did specifically ask when moving from fibre to faster fibre that the line could take it and I was assured it could. I take it that is correct? Obviously the speeds I'm currently getting are well below even standard fibre, but just wanted to make sure what I've been advised is right?
Availability is pretty much all the time as I'm working at home, so whenever the soonest appointment is is fine please 🙂

thanks
James.
James
OCE_Chris

Hi James,

Thanks for answering the security questions. I've sent you a PM requesting a little more information

Chris

OCE_Chris

Hi James,

I've booked the earliest appointment available - February 10 2021, AM (8am-1pm) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

CasJim
Team Player
Right, an update...

The BT Openreach engineer came on the 10th Feb, as above and when testing the line found multiple faults on his reader. He removed an (unused) extension wire from the master socket box, replaced the master socket box to the (latest?) 5C MK4. He also replaced the cabling that comes from our garage into the master socket as apparently it was going on a massive detour rather than going straight through the wall into the back of the socket. He also replaced 60m of cable from the box in the street to another junction box leading to our house.
This initially looked like it may have worked, but then next day the connection was back to dropping out again on a regular basis. I persisted with it as the engineer said it may need time to 'settle' after the changes, but after a few days it was obvious there was still a problem.
We rang on Saturday just gone and lodged a complaint that the service was no better. Another engineer visit was booked and he came yesterday and did something else in the box in the street, and also swapped some cabling over in the garage, I think.
Since then the router has been rebooting itself regularly and I was cut off a ½ hour teams call around 7 or 8 times yesterday. The kids are constantly losing connection on their devices, so unfortunately nothing's been resolved. It's very difficult to do any online work with the connection as it is.
I swapped the router back to the old one this morning to see if that was any better, but the connection speed dropped to around 3-4MB and was unusable, and kept disconnecting. The speed from this original router was the reason I flagged this issue initially some months ago. I've now put the new router back on and when it's connected, the speed has gone back up, but it still keeps disconnecting.
I've just had a call as I was typing this from TT and I've been assured that the problem will continue to be looked into, which will probably involve another engineer visit.
I appreciate that this may not be the medium for this but as you requested to know how I got on, this is an update. It's in no way aimed at anyone in particular on this forum, but as I've not received the service that we're paying for under the service guarantee since, well, last July probably, when I 'upgraded' to 'Faster' fibre, I will be seeking some kind of compensation for this as the service we're paying for isn't being delivered. I've advised the Customer Service person that just called of this. Also, if nothing can be done I will be looking elsewhere for my service provider as I'm pretty sure I'll be able to leave without penalty due to the service guarantee levels not being met.

thanks
James
OCE_Chris

Hi CasJim,

Apologies for the delay, sorry to hear that you're still experiencing problems. I know that it's been a few days since you last posted, how has it been since then?

Chris