Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Max speed of faster fibre at 14mbps

3 REPLIES 3
sgkfu
First Timer

Hi.

Could anyone please explain me how is it possible that my faster fibre 67mbps, guaranteed at 55mbps has never reached more than 14.5mbps???

There were a lot of reports but the only thing they did, was remotely reset my router!!!

Another interesting thing is that from at least 3 months I can get according to openreach and bt, fttp up to 900mbps at my property but nothing like this is available from tt.

Is this normal?

Is anyway I can cancel my contract and join bt?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

There is a SYNC speed that is usually quoted, and/or guaranteed by an ISP as part of your BB contract.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/50841i095000F173F6F42A/image-size/larg...

My figures are in high 70's and Upper teens, with the MGALS/HandBack threshold speed of 67+ Mbps, although my actual thru speed seems only to be mid-to-high 30's.

AND then here....

https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/home1/

You are connected to cabinet 00. Your line length (from the exchange) is approximately 3454 meters (sic).

G.Fast broadband up to 160Mbps
G.Fast is available with an estimated downstream speed of 265.3 to 330Mbps. For the time being, we are limiting G.Fast speeds to a maximum of 160Mbps.

"Superfast" VDSL (Fibre to the cabinet) up to 80Mb/s
VDSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem in the street cabinet and then typically glass fibre to connect back to the exchange and on to us. As this uses less copper wire it provides faster download speeds than ADSL, but costs a little more. For your location, forecast download sync speed is 74-80Mb/s and forecast upload sync speed is 19-20Mb/s.

ADSL broadband up to 5.1Mb/s
ADSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem at the telephone exchange. For your location the forecast download sync speed is 2.8-5.1Mb/s.

Talk Talk may only be offering some, all or n0ne of the above to you.

If you are able to report a speed problem for a duration of more than 30 days, after TT/Openreach have attempted repairs then this may apply.

""Providers must also supply, upon request, the Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed (MGALS) for your line (this reflects the slowest 10% of similar users). The MGALS level is important because ISPs that fail to resolve any significant speed problems (i.e. if your speed stays below the MGALS level) must offer customers the right to downgrade or exit their contract (penalty free).""

Skynet_TX
Community Star

Hi @sgkfu,

I'm not sure if the 14.5mbps you quote is the sync speed, or a result you have got from a speed test.

Can you log into your router to check your sync speed, is this any closer to the speeds you expect, or is this also very low.

If you are running a speed test are you doing it from a wired or wireless device, it is always best to do it from a wired device to get accurate results.

TalkTalk don't offer FTTP in every area that Openreach have made it available, it will become available in more areas over time, but just because Openreach have made it available doesn't mean you can get it from TalkTalk.

If you are currently within contract you would likely have to pay early termination fees if you wanted to leave (unless you really are not being supplied with your minimum guaranteed speed, in which case you might have more scope for exiting your contract).

OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi sgkfu,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks